View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 01:57 PM
speculum jockey

Has Hollywood made a good/realistic WWII film? A lot of people say that Saving Private Ryan was perfect, but I found it to be Spielberg's typical "Heavy-Handed" tripe. The effects were amazing, and good choreography, but every 5 minutes I found myself pulled out of the experience by some manner of glaring error, or stupid thematic device (like having every German soldier a skinhead).

Yes Mr. Spielberg, we didn't forget that the Holocaust happened, but skinheads were an invention of the 70's/80's.

I'm really glad that they didn't make that Battle of Britain movie since this is 100% how it would have happened. . .

"Hey you useless Brits, I'm an American and I'm going to show you cowards how to really shoot down Nazi planes! Boooyah! That's my 50th kill this week! Oh, lost another lame Brit wingman. Good thing I brought my American Made P-51 D to this battle that takes place Summer-Fall 1940. Oh did I mention that I happen to also fire explosive rounds from this? It's a special top-secret round that improves movie cinematics. Oh no! We're up against an SS wing of ME-262's They specifically target Jewish pilots. . . I'm 1/2 Jewish! Better get in an 1 on 1 battle with the head SS pilot. At the end I'll appear to be just about to lose, and when he dives to deliver his death-blow on my damaged P-51 I'll do some manner of Physics-Defying maneuver that will result in him being destroyed and I delivering a really awesome "One Liner" before I fly back to marry that British Girl who can never go back to regular Brit men after being with a real man!"

Did I manage to get all the Hollywood WWII Cliches into it?

Last edited by speculum jockey; 10-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.