View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

Red text is to differentiate between talking as a normal forum member or not: when i'm posting like this i'm just discussing things, when i'm posting like this i'm moderating.

If anyone is willing to put up with having to read every single thread with new posts in all sub-sections of this forum and weed out the posts that break forum rules then be my guest and apply for the job.

Mods call them as they seem them, some prefer PMs, i prefer to keep things out in the open to be able to self-moderate my moderating practices: i can't be picking favorites if i do everything out in the open because people will jump on me and rightly so, it's a way to maintain my own impartiality first and foremost and ensure i treat everyone the same.

There's more than one ways to skin a cat, i have my reasons for going at it the way i do. I'm open to feedback but i can't agree with and follow everything i'm told.

There's also another reason and it's more important to me. I don't know, i have this weird notion that flight sim forums are usually comprised of somewhat older people that can be reasoned with.

I could just as easily save myself some time by handing out a couple of bans and telling people in a PM "two days for now, next time it's permanent". I could certainly have banned both Ace and Lobi 3-4 times each for what they've said on this thread alone (and there's also a rule against questioning moderation on top of it all), but i didn't and in return i get some mild "flak" about the red text.

Well, if my willingness to lay my cards on the table is not appreciated but instead, mistaken as an OK to bargain with mods against enforcing the rules, maybe i should start doing things the way i'm asked: anyone who causes trouble can disappear in a "covert" manner with a simple PM to the tune of "you broke rule XYZ" and nobody else will know why or for how long. Are you trying to tell me this is what we want here? Because if the majority asks for it to be this way then yes, i'll be obliged to do it that way.

Doesn't make much of a difference to me (apart from saving me tons of time spent reasoning with the most common "offenders"), but it will sure make a lot of difference to some people here