View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Approved Member

Excuse me if I'm slightly off-topic as this is from IL-2, I posted this at the UBI forums in 2004, but it still is one of the single best online experiences I've had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellonet
Just had one of the best online experiences ever!
I was on greater green flying for red. After a unsuccessful flight in a I-16 where I collected 0 points and had to ditch after my tanks were emptied, in friendly territory though, I decided to have a go in the P-40M.
First try.. braked too hard when taxing and dipped the prop in the ground
I started up again and made a nice takeoff with flaps @ 210 kph climbing quickly. I then headed west towards the fighting. When I saw tracer fire I flew towards it and wohoo.. the best(as in fun) fight I was ever in 109s and various allied planes flying all around.. very nice to see that the 109s alternated tactics and didn't just keep to BnZ exclusively.
I flew around for some 10-15 minutes and scoring kills both in the vertical and horizontal
At the end I Was behind a 109 in a low altitude turn-fight and firing when suddenly - "Out of ammo" - Damn! Not now!
I was afraid that if I just broke the pursuit the 109 would get on my tail.. so I kept with him until I was turned towards east and my airfield, I broke off fast and pushed the throttle to full WEP, I dove down to the deck and just ran like... something really fast
On the way home I was turning slightly left and right to check my six - no one there. I pulled up a bit and there it was right infront of me.. the airfield! - I was lined up perfectly.. I lowered my flaps and leaned back on the throttle.. was gliding in for a perfect landing..
- Pam Pam Pam! Tracers flying past my windscreen.. flaps up! Throttle full, roll to the right and turn! I looked back over my shoulder. It was one of those pesky 109s - Where did he come from?!
I realized that I had to make him think I still had ammo and I engaged him in a turn fight. My War Hawk had the upper hand and I was beginning to catch up to him when he apparently pulled the stick to hard. I saw him loose speed and then he just smashed his Messerschmidt into the ground breaking off the right wing in the process.
I was home free.. went in for a landing slightly askew but compensated with the rudder.. put my baby down gently with flaps @ 160 kph. rolled to a stop in the grass beside the runway. I breathed out loudly. I was alive!

And 400 points richer

- Yellonet