Thread: Arma2
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

Im a long time OFP and Arma2 player.

In fact even todays machines will not run OFP (2001) at max settings. just because a max setting is in a game doesnt mean it can be utilised.

Arma2 runs very nice with relative high settings, and calling it an infantry simulator just doesnt do it justice. Its true the beating heart of Arma is down in the dirt with the grunts, but it is so much more than just that.

I have played very often a typhoon and F16 falcon (12 aircraft)CoOp mission v 16 ai migs and SUs plus 20 or so armoured units plus the infantry plus another 4 or so ai aircraft plus another 30-40 infantry ai with very little stutter or frame rate problems. remember also these aircraft are moving at very high speed. The bigest advantage with arma is if you are shot down and have to bail out you can still continue playing the game, escape and evade enemy troops, try to steal some transport, or maybe call in a evac chopper(scripted or friend).

I also contend that due to the excelent scenery and maps Arma is on of the best chopper sims I have ever seen. It could be soooo much better except the game designers have made the Hinds and apaches to weak in armour and hit survivability, all done in the interests of "Gameplay".

The Arma2 mod comunity is fabulous. Dont take my word for it just go and look see what this comunity produces. Some of the models and sounds are awe inspiring (the A10 cannons sound fantastic). I have to admit my Arma2 is so modded I dont now know what is "standard" and what is modded. But then again I have no worries about steam banning me from online play with Arma2/OA !

Finally the mission editor in Arma2 is fantastic. Simple to use and with very little scripting additions the ai will do some amazing things. Once after ejecting over enemy territory as I was `chuting down I could see the ai jump into a vehicle to come and get me, believe me being hunted down in a forrest by an enemy ai squad whilst waiting for evac is a really nerve jangling experience.