View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2000 View Post
Since the sim currently models aeroplanes which are evidently running on 100 octane fuel (+6¼ psi boost flat out at 3000 rpm), it seems to me that it might as well do so as well as possible.
Hmm, typo? You must have meant “Since the sim currently models aeroplanes which are evidently running on 87 octane fuel (+6¼ psi boost flat out at 3000 rpm)” since that’s the only language that makes sense in that context. Personally I think modeling that for a Battle of Britain simulation is erroneous. Certainly the historic record is quite clear on this matter.

Quote:
I agree that we also need realistic 100 octane engine performance, preferably both R.M.2.S. and the later R.M.1.S. with +12 psi combat rating if we are to accurately simulate the Battle.
There’s no point in modeling a Merlin with a R.M.S.2 rating since this was superseded by the use of combat ratings on the Merlin III – R.M.S.1 before the Battle of Britain started. It’s irrelevant, don’t bother. See The Merlin in Perspective and Merlin II and III – Use of + 12 lb./sq.in. Boost Pressure (20.3.40). I can’t say I’ve ever heard of Spitfire or Hurricanes equipped with Merlin II or III operating with R.M.S.2. rating. If they were cleared for this rating it must have been 1938-39? Why not model the Hurricane I and Spitfire I with the +12 boost they were cleared for and used, for this supposed Battle of Britain simulator?

Quote:
Personally, for completeness, I'd also like to see the fixed pitch wooden propeller & early R.M.1.S. engine rating and early airframe mod states so that we can experience the Spitfire and Hurricane as they were when they entered Service, and so that we can also investigate what might have happened had the Munich Crisis precipitated war rather than appeasement; the Bf-109E-1 would probably be reasonable opposition; some earlier versions would probably also be appropriate, but might not be considered worth the development work required...
Personally I’d really like to see the Spitfire I and Hurricane I modeled in the configuration, with respect to engine power and appropriate propeller, which they used during the Battle of Britain. Currently they are not. I suspect that most people who buy this sim expect it to be a simulation of the Battle of Britain. Lately I’ve been thinking that the developers should focus on what they know best - i.e. the Eastern Front. The recent post by the developer is encouraging is this regard. I’m afraid that cultural and linguistic barriers prevent them from getting a Battle of Britain simulator right. Unfortunately, they have clearly got the aircraft modeling for Cliffs of Dover wrong.