View Single Post
Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Approved Member

Unhappy Hurricane engine torque

Introduction: Yes, I know about engine torque and propwash and the like. But in the Hurricane (Rotol), engine torque seems to be quite excessive. I'm no expert on that but early-war engines shouldn't have the power to drag the whole plane into a steep spin if you leave it alone for a short while (depends on engine mounting, too, I think).

Basically, I've not yet been able to find a combination of throttle/prop angle/mixture etc. to get the hurricane flying straight and level. So you have the options of either grab the stick and apply aileron, probably for hours on end, or apply such excessive rudder trim that your plane basically flies sideways.

Planes without aileron trim in Il-2 1946 always (or mostly ) had some point where the plane was trimmed - i.e. the Bf-109 was trimmed in cruise flight - 50-55% throttle. And if going combat power, the engine torque was probably thrice as light than in the current CoD hurricane (late- war 109s included (!) )

As said, I'm no engine buff and I AM a realism fan, but still, guts tell me that the engine torque of the hurricane is just too much.

And I can't remember strong engine torque in 1946's Hurricane either.