View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Approved Member

It appears from the 3d model that the hurricanes we have in the sim have metal wings. However, it's not immediately obvious that the 3d models and the flight models directly correspond (eg look at spinners on the different Spitfire Marks; they all look the same despite the fact that they probably shouldn't).

So the first question is whether the performance in the sim is meant to reflect a metal or a wooden wing. The second question is whether the ailerons are metal or fabric covered; fabric covered ailerons tended to "balloon" and greatly reduce in effectiveness at high speed.

Finally, I would observe that IRL the handling of aeroplanes is an extremely subjective business. Some years ago I used to fly gliders at a certain club which owned 2 ASK13s. One seemed much nicer than the other. I spent ages trying to work out why. In the end, I discovered that the reason was that the airbrake handle on the "good" aeroplane was recessed, whilst on the "bad" aeroplane it stuck out about 2".

This meant that when I flew the "bad" aeroplane, my left leg was about 2" further to the right, and I therefore had about 2" less left stick travel available than in the "good" aeroplane. The subjective result of this was that I found the "bad" aeroplane a heck of a lot more difficult to fly (especially because we tended to fly left hand circuits).

From an aerodynamic perspective, the two aeroplanes were basically identical, but the subjective handling experience was like night and day.

Personally, I find the Hurricane rather heavy in roll, but in the absence of really concrete data (both from historical references and from the sim) I don't feel in a position to complain about it.

I the short term, you'll find that rudder helps, especially if you add a little up elevator.