View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOM.Nausicaa View Post
Canceling pre orders is the most stupid and short sighted thing to do. Just after pre ordering a new flight sim, which is the second most stupid and short sighted thing to do.

But anyway, if you have pre ordered you should stick with it now. Canceling just sends a very bad message in form of a excel sheet to a guy in a suit somewhere, who doesn't care if this is maybe the next mother of all flight sims, or a Pokemon against Ninja Turtles game. All what it will do is cutting off support to the executive studio, in this case 1C.

Don't cancel the order guys.
I've pre-ordered a collector's edition via a relative in the UK and i agree with you. I never pre-ordered any kind of game until now, even the previous IL2 titles (which i own most of) i bought by going to a local store, asking the clerk if they will ship it and he would tell me "come back in 3-4 weeks"...i would go there and buy it.

This is the first time i've pre-ordered and to be honest i was thinking of canceling at some point but then i thought it over. I know the developer team's track record which is part of what pushed me to preorder in the first place. The other half of the reason is that i really wanted a box that resembles the flight sims i used to play as a kid, with printed manuals and the like, so since that means a CE and these are usually limited run copies i thought "what the hell, go for it".

In all honesty, i don't subscribe to the "buy it now or the genre dies" rhetoric. That's what people were telling me about RoF but i didn't buy it and it didn't die. I think that people should be free to decide on their own and if they want to wait until a game improves, i have no problem with it because in our genre (small % of the gamers as it is) the guy who passes a title by today is the same guy who will pre-order another title tomorrow because of a few certain features or just a couple of things that caught his eye and he happens to consider important.

What this community suffers from the most is not lack of support for the hobby, but ridiculous amounts of self-contradiction caused by impatience

I can see people day in and day out going into panic mode at the first sign of stutters on a youtube vid and posting threads about canceling their pre-orders, then before you know it the same people could be asking for instructions on how to buy the Russian version because they saw a different vid on youtube that looks awesome on a mid-range PC. This stuff is completely hilarious

It's also what contributes the most to the atmosphere of all-pervading crankiness on these forums, a ton of mixed signals and contradicting posts that serve to further confuse and draw others into the vicious cycle, all because some people can't exercise elementary self and impulse control on their itchy forum posting fingers.

If people were contend to just say "i'm buying because because of reasons ABC" or "i'm going to wait a bit for reasons XYZ" there wouldn't be a problem at all. It's the legions of headless chickens that make a mess of it, which is not far from reasonable expectation: have you ever seen a few dozen headless chickens running around the place? there's blood sputtering all around

My opinion is, let everyone have their opinion, but actually stick to their guns for once:
a) If you pre-ordered to give a boost to the game's launch stick with it, because you're obviously interested enough to want it to succeed. Canceling your pre-order and buying when it's fixed doesn't get you a working game in less time, you'll still have to wait for the patches.

And since you could obviously throw money away on a pre-order just to help "jump-start" the sim, you can not only afford it but you also care enough to do it. If the state of the game upsets you, shelve it for a couple of months and come back to it after a few patches.

b) If you didn't pre-order and are not happy with how things look, feel free to wait it out. But if you said you're doing so, have the decency to back up your words and do it.

There are games i've stated i won't buy unless certain things change and guess what, i didn't buy them because they haven't changed. If whatever feature is important enough to you to keep debating daily on the forums, to the point that you state you won't buy the game until it's done to your standards, i'm just fine with it as long as you do it. There's nothing wrong with pre-release requests and jockeying for public support in favor of something you like, because that's actually the timeframe where a request has some chance of being considered. However, if the game progresses in a course completely divergent to your rock-steady assessment of what it should be, have some common decency to stick by your opinion and not buy it.

The "you"s are impersonal by the way