View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Sorry, but it does.

I've been trying for some time to come up with a speed/altitude/distance/aircraft combination that works for skip bombing ships and for me it's a bust.
Sorry El, but then you're doing something wrong. I loaded up a B-25 and set up a few transports and tankers to test.

1st run, 50ft - No dice. Bombs did not fall far enough before hitting water to arm*

2nd run, 100ft - Bingo! Good drop and strike, target sunk.

3rd run, 100ft - Bingo! Good drop and strike, target sunk.

Quote:
this was a tactic that was used and worked,
Details? I've got a reference that has it that B-17s of the 5th Air Force in New Guinea skip bombed at night from 150ft with repeatable accuracy. The Mitchell strafer units were renowned or going in at 'Masthead' height but that can be anywhere from 50 - 100ft. The TD team are gonna want some hard facts mate, not just rhetoric.

Quote:
but now you are sentencing those that say they can do it to certain death.
Please.

Quote:
If the stated reason for doing it is true, to stop folks from dropping bombs from parked aircraft, then code the bomb releases not to drop at all with aircraft that are on the ground. End of problem.
Ok, but I imagine that the reason it's been coded in is because this is a prototypical safety feature - and not just for on the ground, but as Letum states, to prevent detonation to close to the carrier a/c for a number of reasons. It's not there just to make your life difficult.

Quote:
Right now I just am getting the feeling that someone else is trying to force their style of game play on me.

It's not making me happy.
Wow. So your gamers human rights are under threat? Lol! It's a bloody game chum! The indignance round here is laughable!

*Regards the arming function, should the bombs be rendered inert by the first bounce on the water is, I think, the key issue here - I don't know much about the fuses used and I am sure there are as many different types as there are applications.
From some rudimentary internet searches, it seems, for example that the US 500lb GP could be armed by vanes in the nose or the tail - I guess the low level ones would have been tail armed, but would the initial bounce impact have stopped the vane? If so, did a reduced number of turns arm the bomb? Or did they have a different type of arming and detonator entirely?

Perhaps if special fuses were required for low level skip attacks then TD could program a new loadout option for each plane to have a certain loadouts with low level fuses?

Let's try to get some productive evidence instead of stamping feet and whining.

Last edited by Fenrir; 12-26-2010 at 12:06 PM.