View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 05:03 AM
Approved Member

My personal guess is that it is relatively inappropriate for some weapons. In particular, some of the small bombs (2kg-20kg) should probably have simpler fuses and be able to detonate with low altitude release.

IMHO, it would be great to have fuses which malfunction (eg. a certain percentage of time-fused bombs detonate prematurely, or a certain percentage of bombs fail to detonate at all). Against ground targets the British RP-3 / 60lb rocket had a 25% failure to detonate rate. This would add a lot to gameplay.

So, basically I agree that it is forcing a certain style of play and also may be too simplified and inappropriate in some cases (even if I personally don't mind people being prevented from planting time-fused bombs at 5 meters altitude, having to use PTAB from height is rather cool). These things should be choices though - and more historically accurate.

I'd be very interested to find out more about fuses (eg. how safer were those converted artillery rounds dropped from U-2/Po-2?)