View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korsakov829 View Post
If all soldiers strap their helmets on then the Americans in Vietnam were on marijuana.
They probably just didnt cared about it. But I am quite certain drill instructors looked for it during training. If people did it in combat or not is a different question.

But thats a competely different time and war so soldiers and their perception might have changed. There are so many factors behind it that I guess one could write a book about it. And I have no clue why for Vietnam things seem different (maybe its cause the generation which moved out for war was a different one ?).

Anyway thing is that when youre searching for images about WW2 regardless if in battle or not you will have a very hard time to find pictures where the soldiers are using their helmets without a closed strap. As simple as that. And since MoW is a WW2 game I think thats kinda relevant. Not what some desilusioned indidivuals did in Nam.

*Edit
101airborne
It seems though that at least for some there have been mixed situations where some closed their straps while others didnt. But I assume that many have been in a somewhat "relaxed" state while the pictures have been done to say it that way. Meaning days of no sleep, marching and now a quiet moment to take a picture would leave enough room to make your self somewhat comfortable. But I guess in combat most would keep their straps closed.

Coinsidence also wants it that our helmets in the Firebrigade looked and closed very similar to a usual helmet as seen by most German soldiers. THing is that during walking or a conversation when nothing happend we would simply keep the helmet on the head without the straps. But if you knew you had to get out, or do something you would always look to close it. I can only assume it was similar for most soldiers.

Last edited by Crni vuk; 10-22-2010 at 03:49 AM.