View Single Post
Old 09-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VectorForFood View Post
Seriously, you guys who bash people talking about vaporware can't have a firm grip on reality. I've been a PC gamer since 1992, and have never seen the likes of this, not even remotely close to this...
Off the top of my head, and limited to flight sims:

- Strike Commander: delay after delay; when it finally released in 1992 there was a nice joke in the manual (an announcement that it was "coming 2012... really!" or something like that)

- European Air War: announced, then silence for ~2 years and lots of rumors about cancellation, until it suddenly emerged

- Falcon 4: apparently restarted from scratch 3 times and then dumped onto the market in a barely working version; would have needed 1-2 more years of full time development to be considered working. But at least they made the release that everyone was waiting for...

- DCS Black Shark: major delay (2 years?) and refocus (standalone instead of addon to Lock On) because the team was assigned to different projects for quite a while. The A-10C project is also later than initially announced and currently scheduled for "hopefully before the end of the year if all goes right", which isn't much more specific than what we have with SoW.

- Rise of Flight: sudden loss of communication with the developers prompted heaps of "vaporware" posts (and of course the most original Duke Nukem Forever references)

Apparently many people would rather have sim developers work like "normal" game companies, i.e. focus on marketing and release windows instead of content and quality. Problem is, if Maddox Games were a normal game studio, they would above all do something else than flight sims...