View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaksie View Post
Saiko Kila, why do you want to buy Crossworlds from another vendor if KBAP and most of your other games are on Steam? Just curious.
There are couple of things.

First, recently, I have more and more problems with Steam. It may be related to too many games attached (even if I have them divided amongst three accounts) but I'm not sure. I have no problems with internet connection with other programs, but Steam quite often cannot start my game. I know the "game is currently unavailable" info all too well, and similar ones. Interestingly, Steam has no problem with showing me their ads. And if you have to reinstall reinstall steam to repair it, even if you copied the games to backup them, the validation can, and would take ages, and you have to perform it for EVERY title separately, because there's no freaking Validate All option! And while some games validate in matter of seconds, other have to download some data, which totals to many gigabytes in my case.

Second, they are always late with not only releases but also patches and addons, and more often than not you cannot patch the game with retail patch, so you need to wait. In multiplayer it is quite important, because you cannot play with friends who have the newest version of any game.

Third, its hard to keep the game in proper version, assuming you don't want to patch it for some reason (as is the case with nerfing or "balancing" patches, or if you want to play with others having said version). I have no problems with D2D, because I nearly always have to patch my game on my own and when I reinstall it starts from the oldest version. On Steam it's the newest.

Fourth, and this may be most important for me - I have concluded that their 2010 UI update sucks, despite my previous liking. It's very sluggish, has no search bar (unlike years old Windows Games Explorer, well, any windows window for that matter), often resets some of the settings to default (after updates, most likely, which are too frequent to my liking) and generally looks and feels old. And we're still in 2010

Five, since they've changed their prices to EURO in all European countries, even not in Euroland, these prices suck. When I was living in the US and paid with dollars the prices were OK, now I often have to ask some guys from the US to buy me the game to be able to afford it (or do not feel like an overpaying idiot). It's not convenient.

Besides, I'd like to be able to pay to support some Swedish guys (Gamersgate), not Americans (Steam), because they are PC-centric, and I like PC-gaming.