View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwagginz View Post
The way it's often worked (in my experience) is that Steam only works with Steam. It happened with Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening from BioWare, most/all DLC they offer and so forth.

The reason is, I believe, that Steam-bought/based games install in the Steam directory and I *think* they install slightly differently, but I could be wrong. Either way, trying to buy a programme that requires another over Steam doesn't work because it "blocks" you from purchasing it. An example would be the Modern Warfare 2 map packs - You can't buy them without Modern Warfare 2.
I'd be interest in buying Crossworlds from Gamersgate, and I have both KBTL and KBAP from Steam. It would be very nice to know what dev guys think about it - and better don't ask Valve/Steam guys, because it's clear what would they say

From my experience Steam games usually are not compatible with other games, be it patches or DLC, but there ere exceptions. For instance, Steam version of Swords of the Star can be patched with at least one of the patches intended for another digital distribution (GG it was, I think). It can be quite important, because Steam is usually very late with patches.