View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer_EAF19 View Post
Would it really be hard to animate horses? Mount & Blade managed it and that's made by a team of two. Wouldn't need to be magnificently detailed (or maybe it would, to match the magnificent close-up detailing of the other ground vehicles). X-Plane's managed to have huge flocks of seagulls to fly into (another source of catharsis, even if it fatally breaks my aircraft most of the time) all rendered in 3d without frame issues.

its not that its hard to implement rather the time required to complete the animation. walkcycles from a techincal perspective are amoung the most difficult and time consuming jobs for animators. Quadruped walkcycles are even more tricky to do well. watch Shrek u never see more than 1-2 sec of donkeys legs animated in a particular shot....animating seagulls is nowhere near as difficult.

Don't get me wrong I think it would be a nice feature i personally would like to see more animated life in general occuring within the game. It really adds to the players immersion. However its always a trade off between time money and priorities and at this stage i think its more about polishing than production.