View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Approved Member

Default An idea for modelling aircraft and other models.

Hi all

Not sure if this has been said before. Sorry if it has

When modelling aircraft or any other object, I understand that you need to create the LODs and then the damage models, amongst others.

My idea would be to just have one very high fidelity model - maybe even better than the specs (for future proofing - see later in post).

You would set up all the actions - gears, flaps, etc. plus set up the materials, etc. - canvas, wood, metal, etc. for each part. Plus all the other bits needed - fuel, hydraulic systems, etc.

The game/simulation engine would then take care of the damage modelling (as it knows the material that has been hit or broken, etc.) as well as scaling the model for viewing distance.

The modellers work would then be reduced as there is just one model not multiple ones (I would hope it would mean less work - am not a modeller).

The extra burden would be on the game/simulation engine to do the extra "physics" work. If course this extra work would then apply to all models not just this one.

A benefit would be in future when you upgrade effects for damage modelling, etc. the model does not need to change as this is dynamic. The model then takes advantage of the new effects without change.

Having the model at higher than needed fidelity would mean they would scale as the engine scales - more polygons, etc.

What do you think?

Regards

Andrew