Thread: Artillery
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Approved Member

the Jagdtiger had a 128mm gun a drivate also know as the PAK44 when used as anti tank weapon . I think the "Sturer Emil" which was a form of protytpe/special vehicle had as well some 12,8cm gun. But I am not sure if it was the same type as used later with the Jagdtiger ~ I doubt it as the PAK44 entered service much later while the Sturer Emil was used in the east in 41 and there have been only around 3 units or so. Though I think it had a specially designed own version called 12,8cm K L/61 or something while the Jagdtiger had the Pak44.

Some Jagdtiger version in the last month of the war got also the Tiger II 88mm high velocity gun cause of a shortage in the 128mm. I think those Jagdtiger had the designation Jagdtiger with 88mm gun.

THough I think one vehicle that need some serious nerfing is the Sturmtiger. The Axis side has already the advantage of huge armor that is almost inpenetrabale at the front, artillery units like the Hummel and Panzerwerfer with good hiting power AND with the Sturmtiger on their side they have a good vehicle that is capable of destryoing any heavy target by the other other nations inlcuind the IS3 and T29 ~ why is the T29 more expensive then the Tiger II when in game it is in fact a worse vehicle? Anyway. I think what would help here is if the Sturmtiger would get a "more or less" realistic reload animation. The vehicle had a crane to load the 38cm mortar in to the gun from the roof.

Usualy loading the weapon would take around 40-50 min. (depending on the crew) but I think that might not work with the game. What would work very well though is to see some of the crew EXIT the vehicle using the crane to load the Sturmtiger (and thus making it vulnerable to artillery and small arms fire!) AND make it impossible to move the vehicle while you reload it, so that if you want to move it away you have to stop the reload cycle, move it to a save distance and reload it eventualy there. Same could apply for all the other rocket artillery like the Land Matress, Katyusha, Caliope and Nebelwerfer/Maultier. You should not be able to move them around AND reload them at the same time! Reloading any of the rocket artillery was a very time consuming affair which was one of the major disadvantages of those vehicles cause they hvae been pretty vulnerable during that time.

As it can be seen here the hatch on the roof for the crane to load the shell.

Russian soldiers with the Katyusha. Imagine how long it would take to reload all those tubes

Reloading all those units should leave those vehicles in a very vulnerable state.

Last edited by Crni vuk; 07-02-2010 at 10:30 AM.