View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Trucidation

I enjoyed the first game, so I sorta knew what I was in for. Still, I admit it could use quite a bit more polish, like the free time missions actually *giving* you free time instead of triggering the next storyline mission the second you jump into a new sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkuth View Post
Yes I agree I guess I should of read about this game more and how hard the missions are. All the missions are is hey, lets throw 5 to 1 odds against the Player and call it hard. Thats not hard thats early 1990s garbage ai. Its that simple.
They're supposed to be cannon fodder. Plus, the game doesn't do this right off the bat, it only picks up after you've traded your mothership for that Mastiff. Yes, it ramps up quite a bit suddenly there but there IS some preparation time available, unless you followed the script without taking a break, and I do admit the script doesn't make it clear you don't have to go go go now now now.

If even these throwaway guys are giving you trouble that should have signalled to you that you need a break to skill up and get better gear.

Quote:
This game is not hard, its stupid. Hard is when you are forced to use your head.
Nope, stupid is like those racing games where it takes like 10 laps just to overtake each AI car, and the moment you make one mistake everybody overtakes you instantly and it takes forever to regain your previous spot. Plus there's nothing you can do to get around it, you either win the race or repeat it. THAT is stupid.

SW3 doesn't gimp you like that. You should fly around and explore a bit instead of rushing through the story. And pay attention to the pilot skills, they are skill trees for a reason, instead of automatically giving you skill X when you reach level Y. (I.e. use your head).

There's no pass/die unless you're right in the middle of a mission arc - which you can back out of with an earlier save. With what you've learned, take the time out to get better gear and improve your pilots.

Quote:
In this game its nothing more then reload, reload hope get lucky this time. Reload maybe this time. Reload oh finally.
Whenever I need to start reloading a bunch of times in any game, that right there is a red flag telling me I need to start doing things differently. Why didn't it occur to you to change your ships' loadouts? Or take a break and stop following the mission script for a while? Or, hell, just admit you probably screwed up and reload earlier and try a different choice?

If occasionally someone gets blown up but everybody else is unscratched, that's bad luck - one reload and it shouldn't happen again. But if you're constantly reloading, pay some freaking attention to your team. Sometimes you've simply just gone ahead too far, so man up and admit you made a mistake, go load an earlier save. That way you learn something instead of blindly reloading until you pass through sheer luck.

Again I repeat the game script is rather unforgiving and does not make it clear at all you do NOT have to do things right away. Yes, that is a design issue they need to address. But it's not like there aren't workarounds. It's not a linear game which doesn't let you deviate from the mission script.

I got creamed in Dionysus the first time I played. Loaded an earlier save, changed my ships setups, and I got through it. Gives you a sense of pride in your team, unlike all the pussy games out there nowadays which are piss easy and finishable in like 10 hours. Bah.

From the title you'd think this was NES Ninja Gaiden grade hard. Far from it.