View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

Default SR1 - failing to get going

Hello all,

I am aware this is the SR2 forum, but the appears to be no SR1 place to go, so trying my luck here.

I have trouble (well, am fully unable) to get going in the game.
So far, I did the tutorial (that is quite minimal). I bought the game through Steam, so no manual (yet).

After the tutorial, I canot get further.

1) Getting into fights - bad idea. I mean it: I cannot beat anything more dangerous than a wheezing bathtub armed with a butterknife.
2) Getting money. Trade? Fat chance. If I do find a place that has a market for commodity X, by the time I get there the price has dropped. Also, with a cargo hold of 65 units, I can barely break even wth the huge wear and tear on the ship - the meagre profits hardly make for fuel and repairs.
3) Getting missions. Where? I visited a dozen planets and only one that had a mission. Again, I fly so much back and forth I cannot make a profit. Oh, and the misions I do get are combat related and that, see first point above.

I am not new to games, played my share of space sims, 4X games and am one of those fools who think War in the Pacific was fun to play. I dont mind a steep learning curve, I don't mind getting my B-hind handed to me by the AI, but I am playing on the easiest setting and stil unable to make ANY progress.

I am about to give up, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction, as enough people found the game fun enough to raise sales enough for 1C to have part 2 made. So, what am I missing? How to handle this beast? Is there a manual for us Steam clients - that might help?

Any thoughts and pointers are appreciated.