View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor23 View Post
I extracted the contents of Levels.pak and have access to Level_03_The_Hill.lua. I have some questions about this process: Do I have to extract all of the files in Levels.pak and put them into \NecroVisioN\Data\levels\ (and delete the levels.pak file)? Or can I extract only Level_03_The_Hill.lua and put it into \NecroVisioN\Data\levels\Level_03_The_Hill\?
You do NOT need top extract all the files from levels.pak. You can extract only some files (in \NecroVisioN\Data\[pakfile name]\[appropriate subdir]), modify them, keep levels.pak and the game will use the modified files.
Personally I prefer extracting all files and deleting the .pak because:
1-either the game uses my modified files or it crashes
2-no archives to uncompress -> faster loading times.

note: for subtitles.pak, "pakfile name" should be "Movies".

Quote:
The Game.CachedWeapons table contains the weapons that will be available during the level. I see you replaced the Gew98 with the SMLE.
Ugggh! Sorry, I was probably too tired back then and didn't modify the right entry, I should instead have replaced Gew98 by SMLE in the Game.PlayerEnabledWeapons array.
Quote:
The self:StartWithWeapon object needs to change from “Gew98” to “SMLE”.
It's not an object but a funtion call, but that's just a detail.
Quote:
I don’t know at this point, if I need to swap the ammo to the SMLE or if the SMLE shares the Gew98 ammo, like the Luger shares the Colt ammo.
Ammo is shared(as far as I remember).

Quote:
These modifications still didn’t work.
WTF²? The files are probably in the wrong directory or not named properly; it should be NecroVisioN\Data\levels\Level_03_The_Hill\Level_03 _The_Hill.lua .Try extracting all the content of levels.pak and renaming the archive to levels.bak; if the game crashs then the files aren't extracted correctly (that dual directory issue again? No wait, we already did the empty loader.lua experiment, so we know the correct subdir).

Quote:
The fact that the SMLE was not cached for Chapter 3 implies that it doesn’t appear in this level. [all and the stuff until the end]
1-You know when you use the nvnweapons code you get all weapons, but not all weapons are cached, yet you can still use them.
2-I once made a mod that removed all forms of caching (AFAIK), it was supposed to reduce loading times. I think it did indeed, but there was some lag each time we brought up a weapon for the first time (because the game had to load the weapon on the fly).

In short: you don't have to bother about caching to use a weapon.