View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Approved Member

Question Prop pitch discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
100% Prop Pitch in the game = Max RPM, so I don't see what you mean. The reasons I can see for dabbling with prop pitch in an aircraft with a CSU are to gain more speed in a dive, prevent the prop overspeeding in an abrupt powerdive or for fuel economy and oil/radiator coolant temperature reasons, although for some reason I HAVE always felt more comfortable flying the with prop pitch on manual. You CAN get an extra jot of speed by reducing pitch slightly when you're fast and level, but other than that, 100% in combat most of the time, and definitely for takeoff, landing and maximum climb rate.
I have just had a test fly of the Tempest and explored the prop pitch situation in the game. The diagram that I originally posted was taken from an English 'Aeroplane Mag' - I know that the finer the prop pitch is, (see diagram) the higher the RPM. And if you set a courser pitch the lower the RPM (real WWII aircraft situation).
What I have noticed, in the take-off situation, Oleg and Co. may have reversed this situation in IL2 (he may have resolved the situation in BOB) - if you set the pitch to 100%(course) in the game the higher the RPM.
Once the aircraft gets to altitude in IL2, the courser the propellor pitch (100%), the aircraft travels at higher speed - good for combat. It appears that Oleg may have compromised the situation for the sake of gameplay?
I have a friend that flys a real Kittyhawk and Spitfire at Temora NSW Australia - I will try and contact him to further discuss this situation.
Anyway we have a real discussion point in this thread. Suggest you 'test fly' the Tempest and see what you think?

DFLion