View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 04:14 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflion View Post
Just a note about your reply 'TheGrunch' - you are right about prop pitch governing RPM. For the Tempest, I use a 'finer pitch' of 50% and this gives me a slower initial take-off speed yet a higher RPM which gives me more control of the aircraft. The same situation applys for landing. Fine pitch was used by most WWII aircraft for take-off and landing - higher RPM - more control. You can use a courser pitch of 100% or 90% for take-off and landing, though theroretically you have less RPM and less control.
100% Prop Pitch in the game = Max RPM, so I don't see what you mean. The reasons I can see for dabbling with prop pitch in an aircraft with a CSU are to gain more speed in a dive, prevent the prop overspeeding in an abrupt powerdive or for fuel economy and oil/radiator coolant temperature reasons, although for some reason I HAVE always felt more comfortable flying the with prop pitch on manual. You CAN get an extra jot of speed by reducing pitch slightly when you're fast and level, but other than that, 100% in combat most of the time, and definitely for takeoff, landing and maximum climb rate.

Last edited by TheGrunch; 11-25-2009 at 04:33 AM.