View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 AM
Approved Member

Smile Prop pitch and Superchargers

Thanks Shrike_UK, its all about experimenting with each IL2 aircraft, they are all different in weight and power values. You will find a 'happy medium' in the prop pitch percentages for each aircraft.

Just a note about your reply 'TheGrunch' - you are right about prop pitch governing RPM. For the Tempest, I use a 'finer pitch' of 50% and this gives me a slower initial take-off speed yet a higher RPM which gives me more control of the aircraft. The same situation applys for landing. Fine pitch was used by most WWII aircraft for take-off and landing - higher RPM - more control. You can use a courser pitch of 100% or 90% for take-off and landing, though theroretically you have less RPM and less control.

For Ctrl E on the subject of Superchargers for the F4U - quote straight from IL2 1946 aircraft pilot notes " Switch supercharger speeds at 2,600m (8,500ft) and 8,200m(26,900ft)". I have also attached real pilot notes from the Spitfire IX explaining supercharger operation. I would also recommend Googling Wikipedia under 'aircraft superchargers' for a very comprehensive explanation on how superchargers and 'turbo' supercharges work on WWII aircraft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supercharger_notes_SpitIX.jpg (1.91 MB, 7 views)