View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Approved Member

Yes very good examples of the propeller pitch guys ^^, i particularily like the part about thinking of it as gears in a car 100% like 1st. However, my point was just about landing, and i still beleive its best to run a low prop pitch with higher throttle. Think about this, and even test it...

Which is fastest to gain speed if you are too low and about to hit the back of a carrier:
Landing @ 40% Throttle with 20% prop pitch
Landing @ 20% Throttle with 100% prop pitch

Time for Throttle to reach 100-110% will be less if the throttle is already at 40%, and the prop pitch takes less time to adjust to 100% than the engine spool up. This means your acceleration will be faster for an emergency abort. It also allows for fine tuning of your speed on landing using prop pitch rather than throttle.

I maybe wrong and feel free to correct me, but in either case above that you guys have talked about, general flight and takeoff. Is there any particular reason why you would want 100% prop pitch on landing? As far as i can think of the only result would be increased drag, (as your descending) and increased engine labour as you throttle from 20% to 110%.

@dflion, the picture you've given, thanks for that, is interesting as is shows 50% prop pitch as being a good setting for takeoff. however would this be incorrect for carrier takeoffs where you need maximum acceleration or you end up in the sea?. Thanks and i really fancy trying out your values in your diagram now and see if its better. I hope im surprised!

Last edited by Shrike_UK; 11-25-2009 at 02:42 AM.