Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   Battle mode (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   What's so good/Skeleton Archers? (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=7951)

OGKingsBounty92 06-17-2009 09:47 PM

What's so good/Skeleton Archers?

I hear alot about skeleton archers but what's so great about them? I tried them out just for the hell of it and they were no big deal. I was a warrior and used the undead skill that gives bonuses but there's no way that I could improve their morale at all so damage was avg at best.

I used human archers with the batton and good morale and they kicked more ass. What am I doing wrong? :?:

Elwin 06-17-2009 10:35 PM

They kick ass with dragon arrows, and items which gives bonus damage like isharra's whip or assasin's dagger boost them greatly

OGKingsBounty92 06-18-2009 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elwin (Post 79815)
They kick ass with dragon arrows, and items which gives bonus damage like isharra's whip or assasin's dagger boost them greatly

Yes, but that's with ANY archer like humans, hunters, and elves.

Elwin 06-18-2009 07:42 AM

not quite, it gives them more than them since they are more in number ~~ I doubt u can one shoot 16 blackies or 23 green dragons with elves ^^

Metathron 06-18-2009 12:32 PM

They are an excellent unit, FAR superior to the human bowmen, which I think are pretty mediocre, actually.

Stepsongrapes 06-18-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGKingsBounty92 (Post 79835)
Yes, but that's with ANY archer like humans, hunters, and elves.

It's all about percentage benefits.

The +1 damage items add a MUCH greater percentage to their damage, given their lower base damage, per archer. Also as mentioned, Dragon arrows results in a much greater percentage benefit, because they have the lowest base attack of the archers.

With + damage items and dragon arrows, skele archers yield the highest damage per leadership of any archer unit, by far.

OGKingsBounty92 06-19-2009 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stepsongrapes (Post 79885)
It's all about percentage benefits.

The +1 damage items add a MUCH greater percentage to their damage, given their lower base damage, per archer. Also as mentioned, Dragon arrows results in a much greater percentage benefit, because they have the lowest base attack of the archers.

With + damage items and dragon arrows, skele archers yield the highest damage per leadership of any archer unit, by far.

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm missing something in the explanation..alright they get a larger % from +1 items but how is that if a +1, is +1 for everyone? How do they get more from a +1 than other archers given the value of what they're getting is the same? Say a human archer has a 20 attack and they get a +1 (that's 21 total) from an item and a skeleton archer has 10 attack and they get the same +1 (that's 11 total)..how do they get more and have a higher attack?

Ryder 06-19-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGKingsBounty92 (Post 79964)
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm missing something in the explanation..alright they get a larger % from +1 items but how is that if a +1, is +1 for everyone? How do they get more from a +1 than other archers given the value of what they're getting is the same? Say a human archer has a 20 attack and they get a +1 (that's 21 total) from an item and a skeleton archer has 10 attack and they get the same +1 (that's 11 total)..how do they get more and have a higher attack?

You misunderstand, the dagger and whip do +1 poison and fire damage respectively. They dont add +1 to attack, they add +1 extra damage for each troop number you have. Just as a dodgy example, say you have 1000 leadership and that means you can get 100 archers. Those 100 archers, with both weapons equipped will do and extra 200 damage. Because the skeleton archers are cheaper to recruit you have 500 of them, so all up they will be doing an extra 1000 points of damage.

That's why the Fairies, Sprites and Dryads are so good because of the numbers you can get of them.

Elwin 06-19-2009 08:01 AM

yep if u get this 2 items your skells will rise from 2-3 to 4-5 its like 2 times more, in the end game with warrior you will have around 2000+ skell with this items they will hit as around 4000

Stepsongrapes 06-19-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGKingsBounty92 (Post 79964)

As others said, you're confusing attack and damage.

A precise example:

Skele archer- base damage: 2-3 (2.5 average); leadership cost of 14; damage/leadership: .178

Human archer- base damage: 3-4 (3.5 average); leadership cost of 50; damage/leadership: .07 (only 39% of the skele archer).

Even at base levels, the skele archer is much more efficient for cost than the archer. Obviously other factors such as morale, attack, etc. matter too. But roughly speaking, human archers are very overpriced, leadership-wise.

Now add a whip/dagger: skele archer goes to 3.5 average damage (2.5 +1), an increase of 40% damage. Human archer goes to 4.5 average damage, an increase of 28.5%. So, your stack of same leadership skele archers benefited 11.5% more from the item than the human archers do. The difference is even more dramatic for hunters, who have a higher base damage.

That, in addition to the already more efficient base damage puts skele archers way ahead of human archers. Roughly speaking, the math comes out to 177% more damage per leadership with the skele archer than human archer, using only one +1 damage item.