Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   Gameplay questions threads (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   why? (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=34541)

s8n 09-23-2012 12:10 PM

why?

why didn't they ever fix the flying through trees issue? that to me is an immersion killer...jus sayin.:confused:

esmiol 09-23-2012 03:18 PM

maybe it is not a bug but a off feature because of ressources need. or problem with techtree technology....

maybe it will be done later...when it will be a real priority :)

Stublerone 09-24-2012 10:19 AM

No priority to say it simple. If you are flying through trees u should ask yourself, if this is the right way to fly. I mean: Noone will ever fly there except doing a sight seeing. Your dogfights should be a bit more up! ;)

So, it is no priority, because you are simply never flying into trees in 2000 or 4000 meters. Thats it!

s8n 09-24-2012 10:34 AM

yea but that isn't what i was saying... when your taking off and/or landing and you can fly through trees, it simply turns a sim into just a mere game. just an opinion

David198502 09-24-2012 10:39 AM

thats unfortunately not true Stuberlone....
if you fly online on a regular basis, you will soon notice that the overwhelming majorty flies only a few hundred meters above the ground...when they then engage in dogfights, they end up at tree top level.thats a regular situation you see all the time, not only on dogfight servers, but also on atag.
try to fly on atag for example at +5000meters, and you will be alone up there except for a few AI bomber formations, which are very often ignored.you dont see anybody flying at those altitudes(of course there are exceptions).but most dogfights happen between 2000meters and deck.

trees have a high priority in my view, just like the OP suggests.but i agree there are even more pressing issues...

oh and to never fly into trees at 2000meters in clod is not 100% true as well,....remember the tree-weapon bug???fire your cannons and you will plant a tree...

Bounder! 09-24-2012 09:59 PM

Have to agree with David (and the OP) on this. To say it doesn't matter that you can fly through trees because 'eh, you shouldn't be flying low' is silly imo - combat occurs at all altitudes. If that's your attitude then why bother having collidable buildings or even the ground for that matter?! Even if you start out at 15,000 feet, combat can degenerate to low altitudes as one party attempts to evade/escape. Being able to fly through the trees is a massive immersion killer and it makes tracking low flying bombers and fighters more difficult than it should be. Whilst there are more pressing issues with CoD, the non-collidable tree feature remains a pretty important issue imho and hopefully it will be fixed one day.

MadBlaster 09-24-2012 10:08 PM

agree with op. i just watched the developer diary part 1 again. all that talk from luthier about the complexity of the damage model and all the messages that come up telling each specific part of your plane that is broken or damaged. it all sounds very good. yet no little message telling you that your plane just went through a tree and you are dead? somebody dropped that ball on that.

Stublerone 09-24-2012 11:45 PM

Again: Not an important one cause you normally should not try to fly into trees. There are billions of other big topics and also smaller topics are existing, which are forcing the majority of pilots not to fly clod. It is not only the flight model and the performance. It is also the fact that the game itself is missing so many things to fill it with life. Not only to fill it with life but also be able to create a story and to jusz get the people in the situation, that (with a little fantasy) the imagination of a good battle is created by their mind.

To ground battle: Atag is a server with tasks for every group. If you fly for your lifes, as you would to in real life. You would not go down for example with your 109. By the way: I didn't play that very often, but I heard, that a real situation very rarely occur in clod. Simply because of several facts:
1.) You want to have fun and find enemies instantly.
2.) As always, an online server like atag do not give you the possibility of something like SEOW, ADW, etc. . The same was in 1946: although there are missions and targets to reach, it was and is a battle, which soon get unrealistic. A realistic flying was only pissible, if several clabs met for a mission fight. These fights are totally different from normal online gaming. I flew several seow campaigns and i am sad, that this was not flown more often, because that is the only way to generate the true simulation factor in all its dimensions.

And last but not least: Fly some real clan evenings, get a clan, work with a real wingman and a realcommander in realtime events and you will see, that noone starts from airport with flying into trees and noone ever flying into trees while dogfighting. Sure it can go dowb to ground level, but in good teams,this do not happen. The action is a bit higher cause noone risks simply ti go that deep. So, simply not true and an immersion killer for some, but really soooiii far from being important.

Fix performance, fix fm, add mission builder and gui, add more possibilities for mission builder to create scenarious, add uncomplicated abd more natural vision control to enhance capabilities of the pilots, add additional modelling abilities or more stuff for mission builder, add weather effects, add mor precise or more complex wind situations and weather scenarios, add more plabe content, hurry up with fixing and hurry up with sequel, hurry up with new planes, new maps, new content, add tiny functions like realistically working radios and radar, positioning lights, drivable tanks, artilleries, vehicles, enhance field of view, viewing distances and LODs.......... The list is long and in place 3476, there will be somewhere the trees, that I could fly through in case I am flying bad.

Sorry, but so far away from being important for most of us. I personally never hit a tree or not very often. Perhaps one time every 50 flight hours maximum. I could live with it as long as the game has really has one of the biggest problems, that I have ever seen in gaming history. Poor guys, as it will be tough to come outo there. The problem is massive game problems, but also losing trust from the current customers, which are also the veterans and longterm supporters of old il2 and true fans and the true base.

MadBlaster 09-25-2012 12:08 AM

you posted a lot there to try an convince us. it is a fail imo.

see here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nap-of-the-earth

If you are on a map that has some mountains, this is how you hide your dot from low flying enemy fighters in the distance. if it is a flat map, you get to the treeline at ~ 100 meters to blend in. if you are over water, you go low, but not so low to make a wake and be seen. it is part of defensive flying to get to the target area and make your low level ground attack without being seen and coming in from an unexpected direction. this is especially important for the solo bomber. given the expectations of this sim, fixing the flying through trees should be high on the list of things to fix because it turns the challenge into arcade.

Stublerone 09-25-2012 07:57 AM

Defensive okay and for sure spits are approaching at lower altitudes with reference to their abilities, but none of them ever flew that low altitudes. It makes no sense and flying through canyons is nit possible in a landscape without any big profile. Believe me, that a real seow campaign in 1946 with good pilots on both sides will never flown between trees as it simply prevents nothing against organized attackers.

You will not see experienced pilots flying among the trees, while defending. Nonsense, sorry! It is not important as noone should fly a plane into a tree. That is so unimportant!