Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   CoD Multiplayer (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   For the Bomber Pilots! (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=32116)

ATAG_Bliss 05-14-2012 09:15 PM

For the Bomber Pilots!

Level bombing is now possible. ATAG_Watchman recently took up an He111(H2) to 5600m and devastated a target with perfect accuracy all within the bombsite.

Now, you may not think this is much of a feat, but think about this: Prior versions of the game, the targets would not render at that type of altitude. Now while using the bombsite A.) it doesn't CTD and B.) you can visually see and set the targets with amazing accuracy.

So to all you low altitude, tree hugging bomber guys, get up to altitude and learn that bombsight! :)

It's the best way to avoid the flak!

Oldschool61 05-14-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 425555)
Level bombing is now possible. ATAG_Watchman recently took up an He111(H2) to 5600m and devastated a target with perfect accuracy all within the bombsite.

Now, you may not think this is much of a feat, but think about this: Prior versions of the game, the targets would not render at that type of altitude. Now while using the bombsite A.) it doesn't CTD and B.) you can visually see and set the targets with amazing accuracy.

So to all you low altitude, tree hugging bomber guys, get up to altitude and learn that bombsight! :)

Right in the pickle barrel !!!

palker4 05-14-2012 09:39 PM

Did not really try level bombing so far i used to be quite good in1946 but without horizontal stabilizer i would not hit a thing cause i cannot trim my plane to fly straight and level neither i can fly the plane while trying to set up the bombsight.

41Sqn_Stormcrow 05-14-2012 09:40 PM

Sounds great. I might now try exercise a bit with the bombers.

ATAG_Bliss 05-14-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palker4 (Post 425581)
Did not really try level bombing so far i used to be quite good in1946 but without horizontal stabilizer i would not hit a thing cause i cannot trim my plane to fly straight and level neither i can fly the plane while trying to set up the bombsight.

You have course auto pilot. Yes it's much more difficult to learn than just hitting the stab button in old 46. But it does indeed work (at least on the 111H2)

JG52Uther 05-14-2012 09:47 PM

Are the bombsights fixed? IAS or true airspeed? Correct height etc etc.

von Brühl 05-14-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JG52Uther (Post 425591)
Are the bombsights fixed? IAS or true airspeed? Correct height etc etc.

Ya, that's my biggest problem, that and trying to convert everything off silly charts stuck to my wall!

Please give us some take off runways Bliss, the He-111 is too nice to be relegated to air starts! (Yes I know it takes like 45 minutes to get to 7.5k, and yes, it will do that in the game, where it couldn't historically)

ATAG_Bliss 05-14-2012 11:38 PM

Tramcourt has all Axis heavies on the ground (no airstarts).

Blackdog_kt 05-14-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palker4 (Post 425581)

The He111 has a fully functional autopilot that keeps it level for you. It's just like level stabilizer, but more realistic and with a slightly different interface.

The Ju88 has the same but it's not usable yet because the gyroscopic compass is bugged and the autopilot works off of that one.

I don't know much about the Br.20 since it's the aircraft i've probably flown the least so far. What i do know is that it has a simpler bombsight and not an automated, gyrostabilized unit like the ones found on luftwaffe bombers.

Finally, the Blenheim bombsight is too inaccurate to bomb from high altitude, unless you have several wingmen in your flight and you carpet bomb. It is too the simple kind without stabilization. However, it works fine up to 5000-6000 feet.
And let's be honest, going higher you'll be a suicidal 109/110 magnet :P
Most Blenheim pilots go in at low altitude or even on the deck, just so that high patrolling fighters lose them against the ground (camo does work in this sim).
There is a slight problem with the aircraft's tendency to roll and the lack of aileron trim, but you can overcome it by trimming some rudder. You end up flying with about 1 degree of side-slip during the bomb run, but the sight has a side-slip adjustment so it still aims and drops accurately.

What i am interested to know is if they corrected the metric/imperial unit mix-up in the German bombsights. If they did, i'll be sure to try a 111 soon.

kestrel79 05-15-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 425555)

Good to hear you can see the targets from up that high now cool. How's the pop up look? I know IL2 46 had this problem when I would level bomber up high. I had to wait for the target to pop in before I could track it not giving me much time. Is it improved now?