Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Just imagine CloD with WoP map (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=23132)

biltongbru 05-21-2011 07:11 PM

Just imagine CloD with WoP map

CloD is the most fantastic combat flight sim but it seems that the landscape rendering is causing the major fps/stuttering problems. Wings of Prey is not actually comparable but inferior to Clod in most aspects especially gameplay, aircraft modelling, mission building and lack of any editable land objects but I must admit that the landscape looks much more realistic and has smooth rendering during game play. I wonder why the Maddox team did not use similar algorithms for their mapping coding, but I think there should have been good reasons for this decision.

http://vimeo.com/14661191

choctaw111 05-21-2011 07:24 PM

Then we would hear how the maps need to be larger.

Lololopoulos 05-21-2011 07:55 PM

here is goes again. we've already had several 50+ pages discussion on WOP vs. COD landscape. but I have to say I agree with you.

philip.ed 05-21-2011 07:56 PM

I agree with one of Blackdogs posts from a day or so ago. CloD has excellent components on the map, but they just need to blend together seemlessly.
I think that less trees would be better, in place of 3-D hedgerows around the field boundaries.
More blue-atmospheric haze as well would improve things.
One of the reasons why WoP works so well is because the landscape looks neat and natural; and because of the way the filter and the auto-pop is modelled, the texture transition is very smooth.

Just my two pence (I won't even touch on colour here)

Doc_uk 05-21-2011 08:35 PM

Plz no more, What if Cod was Wop,

Space Communist 05-21-2011 08:38 PM

Hmm yes I can picture it in my mind now, just like flying inside a shoe-box!

Derinahon 05-21-2011 09:18 PM

Promoting your WOP video here? tut

:-P

kendo65 05-21-2011 09:36 PM

Yes - we're at risk of repeating OLD news here, but i have to say, as someone who really had been looking forward to COD for a long time I am really disappointed with the map. That WOP vid really just rams home for me what a poor job the devs have done in creating a believable depiction of the English countryside.

Looking at the WOP video the scenery looks thoroughly convincing and real. When looking at the COD map I'm constantly fighting a sense of disbelief - it just doesn't give me a feeling of reality. It's primarily down to the poor placement of trees. The net result is that things don't quite gel and coalesce to the stage where I just accept it as real. There is always that 'something not quite right' feeling that I have to fight against (usually unsuccessfully). I'm convinced that if the tree placement was redone in a similar way to WOP the map would really come together + maybe a little atmospheric haze as Philip_Ed suggests. It would probably be a fairly major undertaking and is not likely to be done any time soon though. (Maybe eventually by modders?)

I really never thought I'd say this, but the map is close to being a deal breaker for me with the entire game.

Sorry - I know others will disagree with my opinion, but unfortunately that's my take.

RocketDog 05-21-2011 09:38 PM

Same here - the map is a failure as it stands.

Ali Fish 05-21-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocketDog (Post 287021)
Same here - the map is a failure as it stands.

a failure ? thats mighty harsh for a 1:1 scale representation of south east england. the un-educated critique around here is astounding. no wonder the developers shy away from any form of up front discussion. this is a simulation. not a game.

i think it does the job very well. but it isnt anywhere near a failure.. your opinion is more full of failure and the height of ridicule. (rediculous)

western world priveledged philosophy. does anyone round here know what that is ?