Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   OT: Stick recommendations... (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=17613)

Necrobaron 12-09-2010 03:55 PM

OT: Stick recommendations...

In preparation for SoW's almost certain release next year I've been thinking about getting a new stick to replace my old Sidewinder 2. If the new Thrustmaster Warthog stick had FFB I would seriously consider it, but right now I'm leaning toward the Logitech 940. I know the realism of FFB is debatable but I do like it and would prefer to have it offered on whatever I get.

What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?
________
Lm001

Chivas 12-09-2010 05:43 PM

I have the G940, but don't use it because of the reversal bug. Apparanetly Logitech will soon have a fix.

I'm thinking of buying the Thrustmaster Warthog once their teething problems are fixed.

There hasn't been a stick made yet as good as the MSFF2, but I keep looking. ;)

TeeJay82 12-09-2010 05:48 PM

Loved my old x-52 pro
Currently loving my x-65

robtek 12-09-2010 06:27 PM

To not use the g940 because of the "reversal bug" reminds me of the fairy tale "princess on a pea".

badfinger 12-09-2010 06:40 PM

I, too, am thinking about the G940, and wondered about the validity of the "problem". Is it something that some people have experienced, or a global problem? If everybody is having the problem, and the G940 has been out for over a year, hasn't it been fixed by now? If not, why are people still buying it?

binky9

Chivas 12-09-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binky9 (Post 203415)
I, too, am thinking about the G940, and wondered about the validity of the "problem". Is it something that some people have experienced, or a global problem? If everybody is having the problem, and the G940 has been out for over a year, hasn't it been fixed by now? If not, why are people still buying it?

binky9

Most people don't even notice the bug, because it is hardly noticeable. Most people would not notice it if they've never had a very accurate stick to base their opinion on.
I didn't realize it was a reversal bug at first. I just found it took me slightly longer to get cross hairs on target with the G940 than the MSFF2. The problem is global, but Logitech apparently has a fix and its being beta tested as we speak.

I would rate the G940 much higher than the X52, Cougar, and CH , but I've hardly used my G940, and I'm hearing rumbling of multiple failures. That said, I personally don't like the feel of CH sticks, but they last forever.

pupo162 12-09-2010 07:45 PM

have the g940:

stick:

really good ergonomics, everything i nthe name of buttons and POV you need for il2. Very precise

FFB: its tricky, some planes go really nice with it, others not so. Basicly, i believe that the g940 as a good firmware on force feedback, but il2 needs some improvements on this area.

Throtle:

not that ergonomic
lots of buttons and 2 axis = all that i need and actually more than waht i use

it as 8 buttons in the base, wich are kind of annying, becosue , unless you want ot drop your gear in flight, rest your arm at any time.

Rudder:
never used it. I have a saitek rudder. I only tried to put my feet on the g940 rudder and instantly i felt my masculine element being squezed in beetween my legs. Saitek rudder keeps everithing confortably safe down there.

Overall

for its price ( 280 euros ) it is cheaper than Cougar (200 euro w/o pedals) or Ch products ( total would be arround 300 euro). Overall its a good HOTAS, but if i had t obuy a new one im not 100% sure i would come back to this.

Richie 12-09-2010 08:03 PM

I love the feel of the Saitek single spring sticks like the old Cyborg Gold, they have all the same tension all around with no stop gaps. Now a days they seem to be awfully flimsy though and don't last . I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro now and hate it. It's reliable and built well but it's too stiff for my taste. I'd like to try a CH fighter stick and throttle to see how I like it. I already have pedals so I don't have to worry about those.

swiss 12-10-2010 02:39 AM

WTE_Galway 12-10-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrobaron (Post 203386)
In preparation for SoW's almost certain release next year I've been thinking about getting a new stick to replace my old Sidewinder 2. If the new Thrustmaster Warthog stick had FFB I would seriously consider it, but right now I'm leaning toward the Logitech 940. I know the realism of FFB is debatable but I do like it and would prefer to have it offered on whatever I get.

What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?

FFB is not realistic. If it was you would be able to do stuff like hold the stick to get the right flight attitude and wind on trim to till the stick holds the new position (like in a real aircraft).

HOWEVER it is useful. If nothing else you have to be a total klutz to stall once FFB is set up right.

I still use my old MSFFB2 (throttle only and elevator trim on my mouse wheel) so no idea what current FFB sticks are like.