Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   King's Bounty: Armored Princess (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   What units to use as games goes on (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=12971)

rollems 02-01-2010 04:59 PM

What units to use as games goes on

hi all.

i am new to game but getting hang of it and really enjoying it. i was curious what units do you guys get or suggest to get while the game goes on.

i am currently having.
2 Archmages , 34 royal snakes , 1 royal throne , 15 polar bear , 15 droids.
8 black nights ( cant get more currently )
just unlocked Rusty anchor.

so what army would you suggest me to get.

is there a list which says what to get/drop while games progresses ?

TemjinGold 02-01-2010 05:23 PM

Hey there, what difficulty are you playing? Do you care about losses? If you are playing fairly low difficulties and/or don't care about losing units, you can really play almost anything. The great thing about this game this that there isn't one unit you HAVE to use to win.

DGDobrev 02-01-2010 05:25 PM

There is no such list, and everything is up to your own judgment. I can't help much but here's the guidelines I conform to when I'm selecting what kind of army to use:

1. The More HP, The Better.
2. Army must be balanced:
- 1 or 2 tank(s)
- 2 or 3 Damage dealers
- 1 or 2 Support units (healing, resurrection, damage dampening, etc.)
3. Ensure meatshields if possible:
- Units like Royal Thorns, Royal Griffins and Demonologists can become available very early on, and they spawn meatshield that reduce the damage your main tank(s) take.
4. Ensure good spell support:
- stoneskin, a must-have all the time on the tank
- slow - when the enemy stacks are huge, slow them down
- trap - equivalent to slow
- if you're a mage, ensure good damage on your spells (flaming arrow, poison skull, fireball)

That usually does it for me.

rollems 02-01-2010 06:03 PM

sorry for incomplete information.

i am playing Paladin. on normal difficulty.
i took lot of casualities early cause i was learning... i can go back and do better.. but i dont feel like repeating.

what are damage dealer ? how you identify them ?

how does Royal Thorn spawn meatshield that reduce the damage your main tank(s) take. ???

is stone skin spell limited? if yes from where i get them

thanx.

DGDobrev 02-01-2010 06:56 PM

1) Damage dealer is any unit with decent damage per leadership ratio and is usually a unit that will not take damage in the fight unless it has to. Such units are (in my opinion):
the Horsemen when having enough space to charge
the tough units, who can also act as tanks if need be (Paladins, Knights, Black Knights, lvl 5 units)
the units with "No Retaliation" ability (Royal Snakes, Imps, Fairies, Dryads)
the ranged units when there's a good tank with the spell Target on (elves, hunters, skel archers, etc.)

Those are the ones I usually choose to mop up the enemy.

2) That was a figure of speech... The Royal Thorns and other summoners simply spawn units that can be lost without worrying about them. So if your tank remains behind and your expendable units charge, they will draw the attacks of the enemy troops, leaving your tanking stack safe for a while while your ranged units take care of the enemy or you cast spells to buff up your tank. Having your Knights or Paladins start tanking with stone skin on while all other enemies are burning or otherwise with reduced capabilities or numbers is much better than having your tank soak up the damage right from the start.

3) Get distortion magic skill in the mage tree. It will allow you to scribe the spell into your book and use it whenever you wish. The scrolls are limited by their total number in your spellbook, so if you want to use a scroll permanently, do not use the last one! You'll need to copy it into your book later.

Zechnophobe 02-01-2010 07:22 PM

Another good tip, it is hard to go wrong with Dragons.

tetleytea 02-01-2010 07:56 PM

If you're in the Rusty Anchor part of the game, I swear by Marauders. They really help turn up a surplus of gold. They're fast, no retaliate every other turn, they Bless well, they Resurrect at level 1, and your first companion gives them +1 Morale and lets you train them for cheap. I also like pirates/sea dogs at that part of the game, and for a lot of the same reasons; I just don't swear by them like I do Marauders. But they sure do help when you're out fighting on your boat. Later on in Verona/Montero I switch them out for Knights. Basically I trade Sea Dogs' cerberus-style attack for Knights' circular attack.

I'm not going for no-loss--what I do is I'll take a few casualties, but the extra gold I grab more than makes up for it. If, by my Marauders scavenging, the AI knocks off a couple of my Guardsmen, so what--I just got 2500 gold.

Elias_Maluco 02-01-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zechnophobe (Post 140982)
Another good tip, it is hard to go wrong with Dragons.

Truth. And Cyclops. Get Cyclops: good damage, high defense and HP, ranged but also excellent melee fighters when the battle gets to then.

rollems 02-02-2010 01:32 AM

where / when do u get dragon ?

DGDobrev 02-02-2010 02:38 AM

If you get a Call Collosus scroll, you can get a dragon through it. Otherwise, unless you have a favorable setup (red dragons were known to spawn in Rusty anchor tavern), it will be quite some time before you get them, because the first avaiable dragon (green on rusty) is relatively hard to get and involves some kiting.