Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   if you could dogfight anyone in the past or present who would it be? (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=12041)

haitch40 12-24-2009 09:59 AM

if you could dogfight anyone in the past or present who would it be?

me the red barron (forgot his real name) in ww2 planes see how he copes and then put both of us in f22 raptors and see how he does :D would be interesting

bunkaboa 12-24-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haitch40 (Post 131146)
me the red barron (forgot his real name) in ww2 planes see how he copes and then put both of us in f22 raptors and see how he does :D would be interesting

Red Barron : Manfred Von Richthofen

FOZ_1983 12-24-2009 10:40 AM

I would have to go up against a relative rookie to be honest.

Someone like adolf galland or sailor malan would simply wipe you out, it would be no challenge for them what so ever, so you probably wouldnt learn much. I'd like to fly the dogfight and see whats going on, perhaps learn from it.

kozzm0 12-24-2009 11:26 AM

Richthofen didn't dogfight unless he had the advantage. So if he didn't shoot you down quickly, he would just fly away.

Werner Voss might be more willing to fight you. He singlehandedly attacked a whole squadron of the best Allied aces, and did well but then was shot down and killed.

But I would test my skills against Hans-Joachim Marseilles. Marseilles shot down more Allied planes in ww2 than anyone, mainly because he developed an amazing ability to aim at high speed. He used to bring one wingman and attack defensive circles of Hurricanes. He would dive on them, and even when they were below the fuselage he would get the exact amount of lead and destroy the target at the first pass, then fly away. His wingman was mainly to cover him as he flew away.

There are higher-scoring aces than Marseilles, but their totals included lots of Soviet planes which were initially both inferior and badly outnumbered. Marseilles made no scores during the Battle of Britain, then finally figured out how to shoot and racked up over 150 in North Africa.

haitch40 12-24-2009 11:41 AM

a japanese ace would be nice to fight

Wissam24 12-24-2009 11:42 AM

This sounds like Fight Club. When they both ask each other who they would like to fight.

I wouldn't like to dogfight anyone. War is terrifying, I am not a pilot and the only people famous enough to be named and thus included would absolutely batter me if I was

haitch40 12-24-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wissam24 (Post 131176)
This sounds like Fight Club. When they both ask each other who they would like to fight.

I wouldn't like to dogfight anyone. War is terrifying, I am not a pilot and the only people famous enough to be named and thus included would absolutely batter me if I was

ok so your going in the navy then?

Wissam24 12-24-2009 12:06 PM

War isn't glamorous or fun. You shouldn't treat it as such.

haitch40 12-24-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wissam24 (Post 131184)
War isn't glamorous or fun. You shouldn't treat it as such.

supose not but then when your in battle and the addrenaline is going and you shoot this other guy knowing you will come back must feel good

FOZ_1983 12-24-2009 12:16 PM

If i could fly WITH anyone as a wingman then it would have to be -

Erich Hartmann

(bet you didnt expect me to say that ;) )

He claimed never to of had a wingman killed so flying with him would give me extra confidence knowing he was looking out for me as well as i was supposed to looking out for him. I'd be happy for him to get all the kills, it would be a great learning curve.