Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Movies (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Dark Blue World (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=3315)

virre89 05-14-2008 07:42 PM

Dark Blue World

Zup,

Anyone seen this movie :)? , and is it any good i love ww2 movies & documentarys and this flight movie seems nice even tho its chechz movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mk3NMIg3g

Kira 05-14-2008 07:49 PM

I liked it a lot, would recommend it.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure some of the scenes in that vid weren't in the movie. Weird.

crazyivan1970 05-14-2008 08:27 PM

Good movie, i even bought it

Rama 05-14-2008 09:28 PM

Same

Bought it and loved it.

Bearcat 05-14-2008 10:49 PM

One of the better WWII aviation movies.. I stumbled across it at the video store one day.. I say the plane on the cover and said.. hmm whats this... it was a very good film.. and the love story was handled very well..

Tvrdi 05-14-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by virre89 (Post 41824)
Zup,

Anyone seen this movie :)? , and is it any good i love ww2 movies & documentarys and this flight movie seems nice even tho its chechz movie.

Ive seen it...cool movie...of course there is a love triangle heh but the movie is great...btw it is good that the movie is chechz because, overall, european war movies are better (more historic, less pathetic, u name it) than most of the hollywood stuff (ok we all know a list of good hollywood war movies which are exceptions)...also japanese war movies are also pretty pathetic
movie list for you:
EU:
Das Boot - Germany
Stalingrad - Germany
Der Untergang - Germany
Rukajärven tie (Ambush) - Finland
Talvisota (Winter War) - Finlad
Tmavomodry Svet (Dark Blue world) - Czech Republic
Idi i smotri (Russia)
Ivanovo detstvo (Russia)
Zvezda (Russia)

USA:
Platoon
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
Saving private Ryan (first part of the movie which is moralising free)
The longest day
A bridge too far
Cross of Iron

nearmiss 05-14-2008 11:53 PM

I liked the flying scenes the story sucks.

Vigilant 05-15-2008 12:28 AM

Dark Blue World was excellent, it was so good to see the air war from the their perspective after Germany annexed Czechoslovakia - CGI sequence extras on the DVD were interesting too :)

Avimimus 05-15-2008 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvrdi (Post 41835)
Ive seen it...cool movie...of course there is a love triangle heh but the movie is great...btw it is good that the movie is chechz because, overall, european war movies are better (more historic, less pathetic, u name it) than most of the hollywood stuff (ok we all know a list of good hollywood war movies which are exceptions)...also japanese war movies are also pretty pathetic
movie list for you:
EU:
Das Boot - Germany
Stalingrad - Germany
Der Untergang - Germany
Rukajärven tie (Ambush) - Finland
Talvisota (Winter War) - Finlad
Tmavomodry Svet (Dark Blue world) - Czech Republic
Idi i smotri (Russia)
Ivanovo detstvo (Russia)
Zvezda (Russia)

USA:
Platoon
Thin Red Line
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now
Rescue Dawn
Full Metal Jacket
Saving private Ryan (first part of the movie which is moralising free)
The longest day
A bridge too far
Cross of Iron

That is a nice list. We (the forum) should put together a list of recommended international war films.

I would also recommend:
Ballad O Soldat (ballad of a soldier) (Russia) <- Only one combat scene but still an excellent film
The Grave of the Fireflies (Japan) <- I haven't seen but is highly recommended

"Enemy at the Gates" had weird accents but this was made up for by the river crossing scenes etc. It would have been nice if it had more "waiting" though.
Also, as Apocalypse now is on your list I would suggest "Dawn Patrol" as well (for its honesty about attrition and its use of real aircraft).

There were a few films about partisans but I can't remember anything about them.

|ZUTI| 05-15-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nearmiss (Post 41836)
I liked the flying scenes the story sucks.

+1

Really hated that stupid love story. Just like hollywood crap. Always a love story.