Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   FM/DM threads (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Do tracers cause any actual damage. (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=36103)

major_setback 11-20-2012 11:05 AM

Do tracers cause any actual damage.

I was wondering whether tracers cause any actual damage, either in real life or in the game.

I assume they don't do damage, but might be wrong. If they don't then removing them would obviously give you quite a lot more fire-power.

Would an ammo belt consisting entirely of tracers cause any damage?

Letum 11-20-2012 11:11 AM

In reality, tracer rounds are only about 5%-15% lighter than a normal round and just as solid. The lead that is lost in the tracer is very soft anyway and the harder jacket remains very similar.

So yes, tracer rounds have very similar characteristics to standard rounds. In fact, tracer rounds are designed to be as similar to ball rounds as possible in order to match their flight path as closely as they can.
There are differences of course, but they are negligible for most purposes,

Strike 11-20-2012 12:48 PM

I agree with letum.

However, the chemical compound that makes up the burning light you see from the bullets does in fact burn and has a limited incendiary effect. It has been known to light dry grass on fire and should as such be able to ignite fuel vapour. However, I don't have any research test results at hand to prove it. It just makes sense.

Friendly_flyer 11-20-2012 01:21 PM

I used that stuff in the military, and I can tell you with no uncertainty that tracers will do damage. Perhaps ever so slightly less damage than a ball round, but anything traveling at 2,525–2,900 ft/s (muzzle velocity of the wartime Mk. 8 ammo) is going to do nasty things to humans and light machinery. I have also experienced tracers setting fire to vegetation. I would imagine petrol vapor and tracers would be an interesting combination.

pupo162 11-20-2012 01:32 PM

regarding in-game damage, i once loaded a spit only with tracers, and 109's still went down.

Catseye 11-20-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pupo162 (Post 482645)
regarding in-game damage, i once loaded a spit only with tracers, and 109's still went down.

I've done an extensive study of the in-game RAF ammo and I can tell you my results show that using white tracer ammunition has the greatest affect on aircraft targets of ALL the ammunition available. Bar none. Others' results may vary.

(Now watch this thread go "Banana's) :)

pupo162 11-20-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catseye (Post 482683)
I've done an extensive study of the in-game RAF ammo and I can tell you my results show that using white tracer ammunition has the greatest affect on aircraft targets of ALL the ammunition available. Bar none. Others' results may vary.

(Now watch this thread go "Banana's) :)

my test simply consisted in placing every weapon with a different color and shot a rainbow spitfire.

the most notable side effect is that the other players didnt see tracers, apparently if overwhelmed they dont render. i see an exploit incoming :rolleyes:

raaaid 11-20-2012 05:39 PM

hey maybe you can get cool effects combining tracers colours :)

like look at those fireworks that are coming towards

Ribbs67 11-20-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raaaid (Post 482710)

Oh dear....

Hellbender 11-20-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raaaid (Post 482710)

Several times I saw these Disco-tracers on ATAG. Made me thinking what the dude i nthe 109 must have thought. "Soemthing wrong with my monitor? how many people are shooting at me ?

But to throw a serious question into the arena: Does anybody notice a difference in the incendiary ability between the white phosporus tracers and DeWilde rounds concerning the ignition potential?