Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   If UBI's DRM scheme is unacceptable... (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=18109)

Avimimus 01-13-2011 04:42 PM

If UBI's DRM scheme is unacceptable...

I'll buy the Russian version and then patch the GUI/Missions to English ;)

Problem solved guys!

Hecke 01-13-2011 04:47 PM

Are you sure this will be possible?
If yes, then I will do this too.

Qpassa 01-13-2011 04:52 PM

Thats absurd. If you just need it for active I see it positive, less "pirates" and Oleg would have more money for development

Hecke 01-13-2011 04:55 PM

True, but what if you have to go online every time you launch the game?
Maybe it needs activation at every launch.

Bricks 01-13-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecke (Post 211743)
True, but what if you have to go online every time you launch the game?
Maybe it needs activation at every launch.

It was already stated that this wouldn't happen. And if that isn't enough, the cover says you only need internet for the activation of the game. That's pretty fine with me.

Sven 01-13-2011 05:04 PM

I don't like ' If ' threads, but this is indeed not what is stated on the lately discovered boxart, like Qpassa said.

Letum 01-13-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bricks (Post 211746)
It was already stated that this wouldn't happen. And if that isn't enough, the cover says you only need internet for the activation of the game. That's pretty fine with me.

"activation" could mean when you activate the installer.
It could also mean every time you activate the game.

We don't know (and speculation is pointless right now).

ElAurens 01-13-2011 05:44 PM

In a post over at the UBI ZOO there was an apparent leak of info on the German UBI forum.

Activation on line one time only.

Expect an official announcement next week.

nearmiss 01-13-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letum (Post 211755)
"activation" could mean when you activate the installer.
It could also mean every time you activate the game.

We don't know (and speculation is pointless right now).

Microsoft and other softwares that have the activation on install are just what they say they are.

If activation over the web was required for each login, that would drive them nuts on their servers. It that were the case they would just put the hooks in to make it a semi-online game. I think that is where MSFT is headed with their so-called improvement to FSX called "Flight".

MSFT thinks they have found a way to exploit what the 3rd party devs have been doing for free for 10+ years. MSFT is going to lock in the code, and sell the stuff.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger 01-13-2011 05:46 PM

I'll just be extremely thankful to have the content.

I could care less about the DRM scheme. Hopefully it's robust and completely protects the content.

These DRM posts are so old and archaic. No one of any significance listens to them.

We all need the content protected as much as possible. From my perpective as a user - it's in my own best interest to keep the development dollars going to the creator and to keep the simulation intact from tampering.

S!

Gunny