Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   Reign: Conflict of Nations (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Diplomatic (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=15335)

Vivas 06-27-2010 08:08 PM

Diplomatic

For about 60 years now i tried to get a trade agreement with someone, anyone, so far i have only established one with a nation who offered me a alliance. Apart from that i get the standard answer: Standing has to be improved first. The only way it seems of doin so is giving tribute, wich is completely vague how it works, i can offer how many turns i give tribute but have no idea what tribute i give, if any.

So far the diplomatic part of the game seems very weak if not one dimensional, the ai just doesn't seem to be interested in improving relations with human players.

Gilgamesh 06-28-2010 02:47 AM

Playing as the king of Sweden, I had a marriage with the Teutonic Order. They kept wanting to offer me a military alliance, but even though they offered it, they wanted me to give them all sorts of goodies to get it. I refused. Then they invaded me. So much for marriage offering any protection. On the other hand, I saved right before the Tuetonic Order declared war, so when I rebooted, a different nationality chose to declare war on me. I think the AI just decides it's time to attack and randomly picks a nation to attack. I tried beforehand to form alliances of any sort, but they all wanted to bleed my country dry in order to make any agreement. It does seem to be the kind of game where if you focus on staying at home to build up your own nation, you get invaded. Yet it you try to expand, you piss off your neighbors and get invaded. The diplomacy doesn't seem to offer much of an alternative to slash and burn.

jhartfd 06-28-2010 06:29 PM

I have also played Sweden. My experience with diplomacy has been mixed. If you follow the instructions on the tutorial and send a diplomat there not to do any negotiations but just to reside there for a while, and you check the diplomacy screen every now and then and wait for the attitude to change from indifferent to the next step up, there is a reasonable chance you will get a trade deal. Send a merchant and start trading. After a while the attitude will change to something like respectful. Try getting an alliance at that point. Although for me they sent a diplomat to me and I got an alliance that way.

I have had two problems with sending diplomats. One is that I usually only want them to reside there rather then bring up the negotiation screen. I wish they would change it so that there is an option on the negotiation screen that allows you to simply not negotiate and continue residing there. But once the negotiation screen comes up you either have to successfully negotiate something or you are out of luck. I really don't like that and it makes the whole diplomat thing incredibly iffy and expensive.

Secondly, when they send a diplomat to you and then don't allow you to accept what they are offering, I consider that just plain nonsense.

jhartfd 06-29-2010 04:37 PM

I determined what I was doing wrong concerning whether you want the diplomat to reside at the court you are sending it to or start immediate negotiations. If you want the diplomat simply to reside at the court for the purposes of improving relations over time without entering negotiations, do not click on the action button for the character in the right hand panel. Simply click on the character and then have the diplomat enter the city you are sending it to. If you see the seplcher instead of the enter city icon when you place the cursor over the destination city, the diplomat will immediately enter negotiations. By clicking on the diplomat and simply having it enter the city, it will reside.

I still think loosing a diplomat when a negotiation fails is way too expensive given the randomness of success and the fact that a monarch can only produce a single diplomat every 12 months. A more appropriate behavior would be the ability to end the negotiation with the diplomat being able to reside at the location, improving relations, and the ability to reenter negotiations in the following season.

I also still think the idea that when someone else sends a diplomat to you, the entirety of the senders position should display and you should be able to accept of reject. The current behavior of the diplomat showing up and you are unable to accept the offer is nothing short of absurd. This really has to be fixed.

Vivas 06-29-2010 07:48 PM

I give up on diplomacy for now, and shelf the game untill at least that part works, if just a little.

I worked years on improving relations with a single nation but more then being able to give tribute i didnt come. At some point however the nation i had given tribute to offered a alliance. From there i arranged a marriage, but a trade agreement whas still neglected after 6 diplomats, wile having a max standing with them, a alliance + a marriage, and still they asked me to improve relations first :-x

So there i whas with a shitload on merchants waiting idle in my country because they werent able to do a single thing.

And yes every 5 or 10 minutes a foreign diplomat approaches me with a offer i can't accept because they want me to improve relations first before i accept THEIR offer.

SinKiewicz 07-01-2010 04:36 PM

What Tribute is I have no idea neither.
And eveytime I need a merchant or a ambassador send out, I have to click the Govorner or Mornarch out of the city first, and click in after for safty, fixation on that part is surely needed too.