Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   Controls threads (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   German Prop Pitch Lever (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=22549)

Eldur 05-05-2011 05:30 PM

German Prop Pitch Lever

Someone showed me this:

http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/Flu...ung/Bilder.htm

It says:

Quote:

13. Verstellschalter für Luftschraube
- Fl. 18502
- Hersteller Bosch

Bemerkung: Dieser Hebelschalter diente zur Bedienung des Verstellmotors für die Luftschraube. Durch Drücken nach oben wurde die Motordrehzahl größer, durch drücken nach unten kleiner. Der Hebel kehrte selbsttätig in die Neutralstellung zurück. Ab der Version E-4 wurde der Schalter durch einen Daumenschalter Fl 32337 am Gashebel ersetzt. Die Öffnung im Gerätebrett wurde mit einem Blindblech verschlossen. Kennzeichnung am Gerätebrett: E9
The essential part, marked as bold font translated: The RPM is increased by pressing the Lever upwards and it's decreased by pressing it downwards. The Lever returns to the neutral position by itself.

That basically means it should be controlled just like the trim or the water radiators. So the way we have it now is not correct.

Siegfried 05-05-2011 05:43 PM

And maybe all german planes too. Is that the reason for propeller pitch indicator on cockpit i think.

pupo162 05-05-2011 07:50 PM

the luftwinner inside me says this would evne complicate things more for ze 109...

why cnat we have normal radiator??? i mean, its a normal cranck, its so stupid i cant amually place the level i want like any other rad in game...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/images/cockpit1092.jpg this also... i really wish for our CSP :P

luftwhine off//

TomcatViP 05-05-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldur (Post 278959)
Someone showed me this:

http://www.cockpitinstrumente.de/Flu...ung/Bilder.htm

It says:

The essential part, marked as bold font translated: The RPM is increased by pressing the Lever upwards and it's decreased by pressing it downwards. The Lever returns to the neutral position by itself.

That basically means it should be controlled just like the trim or the water radiators. So the way we have it now is not correct.

Yes you are correct (just like an electrical trim) but I don't see any difference here as the end result on the prop pitch won't hve been linear.

You might be able however to set two keys on your keyboard to simulate this.

Eldur 05-05-2011 09:41 PM

It would be a lot more precise then. Regarding the radiator, I'd also prefer if it just would be like the oil radiator control.

pupo162 05-05-2011 09:46 PM

ELdur, more precise, less intuactive.... ot be fair, with the pitch in a leaver, i have mentally memorized where i want it. ith buttons i will have to keep watching the instrument.

wither way: bring on the realism! if they had it as a go up go down, so be it.

IvanK 05-06-2011 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pupo162 (Post 279010)
the luftwinner inside me says this would evne complicate things more for ze 109...

why cnat we have normal radiator??? i mean, its a normal cranck, its so stupid i cant amually place the level i want like any other rad in game...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bob1940/images/cockpit1092.jpg this also... i really wish for our CSP :P

luftwhine off//

There are 4 Possibilities with Prop pitch on the 109E.

OPTION 1
As we have it now Straight variable pitch (no CSU) with pitch controlled by the main panel
spring loaded to centre lever. Only error in the modelling here is that the lever is not spring loaded to the centre position.

OPTION 2
Lever on the main panel was removed and a Rocker Switch on the throttle used. Still straight variable pitch (no CSU)
blanking plate fitted over the hole left in the main panel.

OPTION 3
Auto function with CSU fitted as a field mod. This did not come into service until late 1940. Available documentation indicates Squadron use starting in early Nov 1940. The RAF Hendon E3 has this system. It was shot down on 21st or 23rd Nov 1940. An additional switch was located below the throttle to allow the Auto system to be turned off. When off the Rocker was used as in option 2. We know its field mod in this aircraft as a blanking plate has been placed to cover the hole left by removal of the panel switch. The blanking plate also having the hand written note reminding the pilot that this aircraft is now fitted with the Auto system.

OPTION 4
Auto fitted at factory level. These aircraft can be identified by the lack of a blanking plate on the main panel

So modelling is correct (other than spring to centre), we just dont yet have the late 1940 Auto system ... it will eventually be there.

heloguy 05-06-2011 06:23 AM

After reading this article, I was definitely hoping to have the option for the auto mode soon:

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...tt-Bf-109.aspx

I have an older magazine with an article about this 109 that explains that it was actually flown by Marseille in the Battle of Britain (hence the number 14), and was crash landed on the beach in France by him. The aircraft was then refitted and sent to the Eastern front, where it was crashed in a bog, being preserved until it was found a few years back.

Anyway, note how this pilot says that he sees the switch to turn on and off the auto mode, but the mechanic tells him that while installed, they haven't gotten it working yet.

I guess, though, there's always the chance that this particular model had it installed after Marseille crashed it.

Kurfurst 05-12-2011 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanK (Post 279158)
There are 4 Possibilities with Prop pitch on the 109E.

OPTION 1
As we have it now Straight variable pitch (no CSU) with pitch controlled by the main panel
spring loaded to centre lever. Only error in the modelling here is that the lever is not spring loaded to the centre position.

OPTION 2
Lever on the main panel was removed and a Rocker Switch on the throttle used. Still straight variable pitch (no CSU)
blanking plate fitted over the hole left in the main panel.

OPTION 3
Auto function with CSU fitted as a field mod. This did not come into service until late 1940. Available documentation indicates Squadron use starting in early Nov 1940. The RAF Hendon E3 has this system. It was shot down on 21st or 23rd Nov 1940. An additional switch was located below the throttle to allow the Auto system to be turned off. When off the Rocker was used as in option 2. We know its field mod in this aircraft as a blanking plate has been placed to cover the hole left by removal of the panel switch. The blanking plate also having the hand written note reminding the pilot that this aircraft is now fitted with the Auto system.

OPTION 4
Auto fitted at factory level. These aircraft can be identified by the lack of a blanking plate on the main panel

So modelling is correct (other than spring to centre), we just dont yet have the late 1940 Auto system ... it will eventually be there.

The information regarding the date of availibilty of the auto function is wrong.

The Bf 109E1 and E-3 manual of December 1939 already notes the automatic system (Verstellautomatik), and gives different operating instructions to those planes with the old manual system ("Options 1 and 2") and the auto prop pitch system.

Auto and manual props pitch systems also had differently designated VDM propellor type numbers.

xnomad 05-12-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pupo162 (Post 279084)
ELdur, more precise, less intuactive.... ot be fair, with the pitch in a leaver, i have mentally memorized where i want it. ith buttons i will have to keep watching the instrument.

wither way: bring on the realism! if they had it as a go up go down, so be it.

My thoughts exactly, I just use the throttle lever on my joystick as prop pitch and it's really easy as you just memorise the positions but if it isn't realistic then it's got to go.