Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Who'd like to see tracking as an option when setting up a game in arcade? (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=9758)

akuma 09-14-2009 11:22 PM

Who'd like to see tracking as an option when setting up a game in arcade?

As above, when creating a game, who'd like to see tracking as an on/off option.

The reason is because it wipes out the advantage of several planes. Mainly the Fw190's, PD51's and Me262's.

Those planes advantage came from high speed attacks from above, and if they missed the energy would have them out of range in seconds.

But with tracking, this ability is completely neutralised and therefore renders the planes next to useless even though they were the best planes of WW2.

Now I know someone will say go play sim mode, and they are not entirely incorrect, but I prefer all the fun of arcade mode, but not at the expense of limiting all battles to hurricane turning battles.

Lexandro 09-14-2009 11:28 PM

I dont think it should be removed, maybe just toned down a bit. The range could be reduced, it could be adjusted so that only one target can be tracked and that you actually have to see it visually to track, so that if you pass cloud cover you loose them till you get eyes on again.

BigBear45 09-15-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akuma (Post 101220)

The reason is because it wipes out the advantage of several planes. Mainly the Fw190's, PD51's and Me262's.

Those planes advantage came from high speed attacks from above, and if they missed the energy would have them out of range in seconds.

But with tracking, this ability is completely neutralised and therefore renders the planes next to useless even though they were the best planes of WW2.

Now I know someone will say go play sim mode, and they are not entirely incorrect, but I prefer all the fun of arcade mode, but not at the expense of limiting all battles to hurricane turning battles.

Arcade mode is the turning battle... who can turn faster is all it is, with no penalty if you get shot. Who cares about the tracker in arcade because... its arcade. I can't stand arcade anyways, its the home of the crashers in my book (the people that head for the dirt when in trouble)

akuma 09-15-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBear45 (Post 101274)
Arcade mode is the turning battle... who can turn faster is all it is, with no penalty if you get shot. Who cares about the tracker in arcade because... its arcade. I can't stand arcade anyways, its the home of the crashers in my book (the people that head for the dirt when in trouble)

Thats exactly my point, the tracking makes arcade mode a turning battle, because there is bloody great big arrow that tells you where the bad guys are, and therefore the most logical thing to do it turn in.

It also renders sneak attacks impossible as the radar and arrows give you away at 3KM.

So, even if its just in Player Matches, I recon it should be an option to turn it off so that game and incorparate all tatics rather than just turning.

King Jareth 09-15-2009 10:36 AM

If you are asking "Should hosts have the ability to force HUD settings?" then I think yes they should, I think that was Realistic could also benefit as well.

BigBear45 09-15-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akuma (Post 101319)
Thats exactly my point, the tracking makes arcade mode a turning battle, because there is bloody great big arrow that tells you where the bad guys are, and therefore the most logical thing to do it turn in.

It also renders sneak attacks impossible as the radar and arrows give you away at 3KM.

So, even if its just in Player Matches, I recon it should be an option to turn it off so that game and incorparate all tatics rather than just turning.

its still arcade... jk
But yea we had a take last night about how much better the game would be withouth the red box around the planes. so i would take it a step further, either way i think the tracker and arcade is crap.

Panzergranate 10-21-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

If they pulled a "Retournment" they'd be back on the tail of the surprised victim in seconds for a second attempt The amount of speed difference between an attacker and prey that can be lost with this classic dogfight maneuver is amazing and adds to the confusement of the prey.

I use the maneuver, with great success, in BS Midway, BS Pacific, IL-2 BOP and PC based simulators.

"Retournment" can be used as a "turn the tables" evade maneuver, just as a well timed "Immelmann" or "Split S" can be used to quickly end up on the tail of a head on attacker.

Spitfire23 10-21-2009 04:39 PM

Errrm thats why we have sim mode

DoraNine 10-21-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

The developers have already wiped out the advantages of these planes with poor modeling.