Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   Gameplay questions threads (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Air Force Bases of CloD 2 - Extended printable content! (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=35074)

VO101_Tom 10-18-2012 07:02 PM

Air Force Bases of CloD 2 - Extended printable content!

Hey guys.

The previous AFBs of CloD documents is far outperformed my expectations (which regards the number of downloads), so in response to the requests I expanded the list of airports. In other words, I did it all. When I started these project, I thought will be much shorter, but new ideas, modifications, additions were made, which hopefully become useful.

These AFBs of CloD 2 contains the following documents (The whole pack is 747MB):
- high resolution pdf of all Airfields (for printing). (I was able to upload only 100 MB per file, therefore the high-res pdfs sliced into three parts. ALL 3 part need to proper extract!).
- medium resolution pdf of all Airfields (for PC use)
- high resolution jpg pack of all Airfields.
- high resolution overview map. Based of original maps of the Canal region (A1 size, 300 dpi resolution, for printing).
- medium resolution of overview map (for PC use).

Download from here: AFBs of CloD 2
(If you want to share these documents on other forums, please use this link)

Changes in content:
- The document contains all of the 121 airports of CloD.
- The taxiways were also got markings (letters), you can determine your location more precisely.
- The map legends shows the changes of the AFB icons. You can distinguish the civil and military airports, the type of the runaway, and the runaway is permanent or temporary.
- I made separate section of the pilot notes. There are various informations relating to the airport.
- I delete the runaway symbol from the airfields, which not contain permanent runaways. It is mentioned in the pilot notes too. I drew the most likely runaway direction and lenght. If there is no other directive, you can use these datas.
- Made of an overview map, which can be printed in A1 size, 300 dpi. It was made in two versions, one with a better visibility of the airport, the other covers less of the original map. Print and use whichever you prefer.
- I made 50% reduced pictures of overview map, good for PC use.

Technical Changes:
- I attached most of the images as jpg, not as a vector graphic. This improves memory usage.
- The airport list is the beginning of the document, you can jump to any page with a single clicking.
- I made a jpg package, if you want a custom selection, use this. I recommend to use these files on Tablet devices, or mobile phone (there were several problems with pdf).

Known bugs:
- The 4th page of the medium-res .pdf is blurry. I can't do anything. The "overview map 1" is the same jpg.
- The overview map and the CloD have some inaccuracies (mostly with the blue, "CloD grid"). The blue vectors is hand made vectors. This is the best, what I can do. The other reason is the original map can also be minor inaccuracies. Cities, rivers, etc. As a result, the coordinates of airports slip a little (the first four characters of the "location" is accurate, these error affect the last number of the coordinate). It is not very significant, but i had to mention it.

I hope this package will going to like it at least as many people as the previous one.

Special thanks to SC/JG_IvanK, 5./JG27.Farber, bongodriver, JVM and Artist who helped in creation of this document with suggestions, opinions and data.

Regards.
Tom

ps. It would be superb, if every online map use the same, standardized coordinates. This document also contains these values​​. I link here an empty mission file (made by 5./JG27_Farber), with the standard battle-area settings. Please, use it in all online server. http://www.pumaszallas.hu/images/icon_zip.jpg Fullgrid mission

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO...od_poster2.jpg

_79_dev 10-18-2012 07:57 PM

This is great news, Thanx for update Tom.

IvanK 10-18-2012 09:01 PM

Brilliant work Tom Thank you

JokerMan 10-18-2012 09:41 PM

Koszonom Szepan dude .... this is pretty awesome work.

Thanks for sharing

6BL Bird-Dog 10-18-2012 09:56 PM

Great work Thank you.

SG1_Lud 10-18-2012 11:06 PM

Brilliant Tom, thanks for sharing.
S!

VO101_Tom 10-19-2012 09:39 AM

Thx. guys.

Small note: I see, the parts of the england high-res pdf have different download numbers. I was able to upload only 100 MB per file, therefore the high-res pdfs sliced into three parts. ALL 3 part need to proper extract!

adonys 10-19-2012 01:01 PM

Thank you, sir!

Trenkos 10-19-2012 03:18 PM

Great work!!!

Artist 10-29-2012 07:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tom,

just thought you'd like to see the your excellent work having been printed on 280g paper, enclosed in a 1,5mm cardboard cover and bound with a (rather too big, but eh!, 60 pages!) spiral.

Artist

5./JG27.Farber 10-29-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist (Post 474600)
Tom,

just thought you'd like to see the your excellent work having been printed on 280g paper, enclosed in a 1,5mm cardboard cover and bound with a (rather too big, but eh!, 60 pages!) spiral.

Artist

Jealousy! :-P

SG1_Lud 10-29-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Tom,

Artist

Hey, you're an Artist :) and Tom's work deserves that printing.
Thanks for make me jealous too.

S,

VO101_Tom 10-29-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Tom,

Artist

Awww, cool! Thank you :cool:
Good to see if someone else find my work useful. I have not printed out the sheets (yet), only the large map. I suggest you print it out, if you have not already (The Copy General print it out about 5$. It worth it! :)

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO...Clod_map1s.jpg

http://www.pumaszallas.hu/Private/VO...Clod_map4s.jpg

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger 10-29-2012 10:32 PM

Thanks so very much for these fine maps.

I use them every time I fly. Best addition to CoD ever made.

Kozi 10-30-2012 04:38 AM

Thanks Tom for the time and effort you put in to making these fantastic maps.
Much appreciated!

Artist 11-08-2012 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Tom,

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO101_Tom (Post 474626)
I suggest you print it out, if you have not already (The Copy General print it out about 5$. It worth it! :)

did it (see attachment): Printed on 90cm x 102cm Tyvek, an almost untearable paperlike material used for maps, constructing plans, and the like. Paid €28 - but it really is worth it.

Artist

Robo. 11-08-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist (Post 478964)
Hi Tom,

did it (see attachment): Printed on 90cm x 102cm Tyvek, an almost untearable paperlike material used for maps, constructing plans, and the like. Paid €28 - but it really is worth it.

Artist

Great idea!

And this thread should be sticky... ;)

Trooper117 11-08-2012 05:35 PM

Once again, many thanks for the time and effort you have spent doing this.. Much appreciated :)

MikePXP 11-08-2012 05:41 PM

This is amazing Tom. Thanks.

VO101_Tom 11-09-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist (Post 478964)
Hi Tom,

Artist

Sry Artist, I just see that you have written.
Sounds great, but €28? I'm glad if you feel that it worth it. :cool:
I didn't found similar material when I was looking for printing solutions, but the paper is good enough for me. I was laminated the paper, then I can draw attack plan on it (it was used on weekend-sowc ;) )

VO101_Tom 11-09-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trooper117 (Post 478992)
Once again, many thanks for the time and effort you have spent doing this.. Much appreciated :)

You're welcome, use it often! ;)
Yeah, it took much more time than i expected before (but I don't regret) :cool:

Artist 11-09-2012 06:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Tom,

Quote:

Originally Posted by VO101_Tom (Post 479164)
Sounds great, but €28? I'm glad if you feel that it worth it. :cool:

I am not telling you what I paid for the printing of the cards :cool: I got the french part now, too (see attachments). Same material as the other one.

Quote:

I didn't found similar material when I was looking for printing solutions, but the paper is good enough for me.
Well it's called Tyvek (or Tywek) and in my local print/copyshop they got it from hewlett packard. It comes in a 17 feet, 36 inch (5m by 914mm) role. The printer itself (hp, too) costs about a middle sized car, they told me.

Quote:

I was laminated the paper, then I can draw attack plan on it (it was used on weekend-sowc ;) )
In earlier times they used transparent paper laid over the map (and then kept it for the archives).

Artist

VO101_Tom 11-09-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist (Post 479229)
Hi Tom,

I am not telling you what I paid for the printing of the cards :cool: I got the french part now, too (see attachments). Same material as the other one.

Well it's called Tyvek (or Tywek) and in my local print/copyshop they got it from hewlett packard. It comes in a 17 feet, 36 inch (5m by 914mm) role. The printer itself (hp, too) costs about a middle sized car, they told me.

In earlier times they used transparent paper laid over the map (and then kept it for the archives).

Artist

:cool:
I can imagine, 130 page plus covers isn't cheap... :-P

Artist 11-13-2012 04:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I took one step further with the map, as it it rather big (90cm by 102cm, see my earlier post in this thread) and difficult to handle/fold during flight: I applied the Falk Patented Folding. There's no article on this ingenious idea in the English wikipedia (just in the German one), so a short explanation here (and pictures):

This special way of folding a big map and cutting slits at certain places allows to leaf through the folded map both horizontally and vertically - while never exceeding a total unfolded size of much, much less than the whole map. In my case I choose a leaf-through size of 25 by 25.5 cm and folded and cut accordingly.

The pictures in this (and - due to the limitation of max 5 images per post - the next post) show the folded map, the vertical and horizontal leafing, and finally the first step of unfolding the whole map.

Artist 11-13-2012 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Falk Folding continued

VO101_Tom 11-13-2012 09:30 PM

I do not cut the map, but I folding that the whole plan will be visible :)

VBF-12_Gosling 11-25-2012 07:38 PM

VO101_Tom

Tom. Quite outstanding. I will be linking to your documents from my 616sqn.tidesofwar.net website for CloD.

I had wanted to do something similar. I realise it is a huge peice of work and I doubt you want to develope it further from its excellent state. The only thing I would ask is that, being a Fleet Air Arm pilot, I would love the Royal Naval Airstations (with their "Ship" Names) to be identified from the RAF and Civilain fields. Maybe just changing the names in the "Enroute Supplement".

RNAS Ford - HMS Peregrine
RNAS Gosport - HMS Siskin
RNAS Heathrow
RNAS Lee-on-Solent - HMS Daedelas
RNAS Lymne - HMS Buzzard
RNAS Worthy Down - HMS Kestral

Heree is a reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...the_Royal_Navy

Many thanks for your consideration.

Gosling
IL2:1946 - VBF-12
IL2:CloD - 616 Sqn

VO101_Tom 11-26-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VBF-12_Gosling (Post 483784)
VO101_Tom

Tom. Quite outstanding. I will be linking to your documents from my 616sqn.tidesofwar.net website for CloD.

I had wanted to do something similar. I realise it is a huge peice of work and I doubt you want to develope it further from its excellent state. The only thing I would ask is that, being a Fleet Air Arm pilot, I would love the Royal Naval Airstations (with their "Ship" Names) to be identified from the RAF and Civilain fields. Maybe just changing the names in the "Enroute Supplement".

RNAS Ford - HMS Peregrine
RNAS Gosport - HMS Siskin
RNAS Heathrow
RNAS Lee-on-Solent - HMS Daedelas
RNAS Lymne - HMS Buzzard
RNAS Worthy Down - HMS Kestral

Heree is a reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...the_Royal_Navy

Many thanks for your consideration.

Gosling
IL2:1946 - VBF-12
IL2:CloD - 616 Sqn

Hi.
I'm glad if you like it, and thanks if you share on other pages.

I don't quite understand what you asking. When I finished the first release, I get a weblink from bongodriver: Airfields of Britain. I made the english cards based on this webpage (names, RAF/Civil usage). So, you asking me to change this couple of cards, using the RNAS name in the header? For example: "RNAS Ford - HMS Peregrine" instead of "Ford"? I can do that, and save it into different pdf. No problem... if i understand right...

Osprey 01-25-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist (Post 479229)
Hi Tom,

Artist

I used to work for Wiggins Teape so know about Tyvek, we used to sell it. It's not a HP product though they may buy it, cut it and sell it in small packs for a big mark up. It is pretty expensive but you can't rip it and it's waterproof, so print it on this stuff and you're good for a long time :)

Artist 01-25-2013 12:17 PM

Yes, its really durable and perfect for the Falk-folding (slits and all). Hp had its logo printed on the start-margin and *they* spelled it Tywek. I wonder who's the original manufacturer, DuPont?

decay 09-04-2014 05:48 AM

Request: Map with less CLOD markings

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Tom,

Fabulous map, I've printed it a number of times, hand glueing A3 sheets together. Excellent work - I love it. Use it all the time.
Mark it up, trash it, give away the used ones to friends.

I had to adjust the sizing a little when I printed, to make sure that the scale was correct for 1:500,000.

I also pushed the contrast a bit in Photoshop.
Made things a bit clearer for late night reading with these tired old eyes.

One thing I would like removed is the blue sector overlay.
Reason: The "Alpha-Oscar 4.7" identification system varies between each mission. So the blue sector overlay is only correct for a couple of missions. I'd rather have your beautiful map without the overlay.

Second I would change the scale markings in the margins slightly so that nautical miles / statute miles and Kilometers each have units (ones) instead of just kilometers having units.
If you remodel the scale bars they could maybe be separated by a couple of millimeters.
Reason: I plan routes by measuring the distance with a drawing compass and then lining that compass up on the scale bars. That distance divided by my airspeed gives me time on that heading. Since my airspeed is in miles I'd like to know distance in miles (to the nearest mile).

Third I would take out the Green magnetic declination line.
Reason: that is beautifully expressed by the compass rose in the top right. And there are already two Magnetic Declination lines on the original map (a 10 degrees W 1942 and a 9 degreees 1942) and in the margin.

Lastly I would like the AFBs ICON and name layer as a separate image.
Reason: Details. In some places the text is hard to read or obscures the detail underneath.
Examples:
1) In the top left of the map, the names Yatesbury, Watchfield, Harwell, White Watham, Harwell, Reading etc are already on the map.
The convention seems to be font: ARIAL for AFBs and font: Times New Roman Italic for Towns.
2) Also in the top left of the map there are a number of AFBs that are not in the mission but are on the map. Bibury, Witney, Brize Norton, Abingdon etc.

Personally I would change my AFBs layer so that:
1) The AFB Icon has a Runway.
2) The AFB Code is in Capital Bold Arial.
3) Where the AFB Name already exists on the map don't write it out again.
4) If the AFB name doesn't exist, add it in Regular Arial.

I'm happy to do the grunt work on this if you are able to output a version without the layers I have suggested.

Here is an example of the proposed before and after on the AFBs layer and the contrast boost.
If you PM me we can dropbox.

VO101_Tom 09-29-2014 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decay (Post 706146)
Hi Tom,

Hi.

huh, I did not read this forum since months, I used to check daily the ATAG forum.
I got your PM there, I will reply soon.

S!