Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Tested PC sticks on PS3 (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=11825)

FilthyPrick 12-15-2009 04:55 PM

Tested PC sticks on PS3

A number of requests for this.

Put the type of stick that you have tested in the title and your findings in the box i.e.

Deadzone -

Assigned buttons -

Hat switch -

etc.

FilthyPrick 12-15-2009 04:59 PM

Saitek Cyborg Evo force feedback

Deadzones - adjusted successfully

Key assignments - OK, apart from zoom

Hat Switch - Cannot check to 6 o clock.

Other - additional power lead is a pain.

5/10

Mage_016 12-16-2009 01:07 PM

Please, this thread would be useful. And add if you tested with arcade or simulator because it makes a difference, so i've heard. Older sticks are important too. And those two sticks for ps3 how are they after patch. And have anyone tried keyboard and mouse.

edal86 12-16-2009 04:30 PM

Logitech Extreme 3D PRO ($10)

Believe it or not my old pc flight stick worked lol

- I really recommend to all who buy flight sticks not to invest too much money on them, they all work the same, none can have Zoom customized, nor can check 6 o'clock with hatswitch. Unfortunately, all will give you the same results.

* Logitech Extreme 3D PRO (now are less than $10) "tested and it works"

* Works fine, I customized my own layout by combining this flight stick and my keyboard. (you cant assign Zoom to anything) and the throttle can not be assign to the throttle of the stick, Im sure same goes for all flight sticks)

* When the game came out I bought the Thrustmaster ($60) and sold it the next day, this old Logitech stick is less than $10 and gave me same results

* I will give it the highest score that I can give to a flight stick for this game * 3/5 *

P.S. "stick" but only to the pad :)

philabong2 12-16-2009 05:05 PM

Saitek AV8R-03 (for ps3 and PC)

Deadzone - no problem since the patch- didnt even try to customize cause it was fine

Assigned buttons - Buttons locations is one of the downside of this stick. I did a mod on it to relocate the map and flap controls closer to the throttle. Evrything else works fine (exept the zoom...)

Hat switch - works prefecly. Needs a little gettin used to cause its doesnt have the same feel as the joystick on the pad but its pretty good imo

Other - the other big dowside is the twisting action of the stick for rudder control - this is the only thing that i trully hate about this thing - might try to do another mod where i would add a pedal bar...

So unless u dont care about doin mods to ur gear at the risk of having to buy another cause u broke it, the AV8R-03 is the stick for u lol

edal86 12-16-2009 11:25 PM

Tested Mouse

I just tested my old logitech flight stick with the mouse and they do work together quite well. Right hand on the stick, left hand on the mouse (right click = zoom). This does make the game experience much more fun because you have complete control of freelook with the mouse, however, I still hate the idea of having the throttle on the stick's rudder. I still prefer the pad, it is much more comfortable.

Mage_016 12-17-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edal86 (Post 129110)
I just tested my old logitech flight stick with the mouse and they do work together quite well. Right hand on the stick, left hand on the mouse (right click = zoom). This does make the game experience much more fun because you have complete control of freelook with the mouse, however, I still hate the idea of having the throttle on the stick's rudder. I still prefer the pad, it is much more comfortable.

Can you assign mousewheel to throttle?

Flagrum_3 12-17-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilthyPrick (Post 128681)
Deadzones - adjusted successfully

Key assignments - OK, apart from zoom

Hat Switch - Cannot check to 6 o clock.

Other - additional power lead is a pain.

5/10

Excuse my ignorance, but why do you need the additional power lead? For the F-feedback? :confused: I have the Cyborg evo (non F-f ) with just the one usb cable.I love the evo, been using it for years...Does the throttle work okay? I'm not worried about the zoom too much and am pretty used to not being able to see my six, except by yawing left and right.You can still see too 7 & 5 o'clock rear right?

Sorry for all the questions,

Thanks.

F_3

FilthyPrick 12-18-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 (Post 129346)
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you need the additional power lead? For the F-feedback? :confused: I have the Cyborg evo (non F-f ) with just the one usb cable.I love the evo, been using it for years...Does the throttle work okay? I'm not worried about the zoom too much and am pretty used to not being able to see my six, except by yawing left and right.You can still see too 7 & 5 o'clock rear right?

Thanks.

F_3

The FF stick has an power lead in addition to the usb cable, probably for the feedback motor.

Flagrum_3 12-19-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FilthyPrick (Post 129453)
The FF stick has an power lead in addition to the usb cable, probably for the feedback motor.

Well that makes sense, anyways would really like to know the answers to the other two questions if you don't mind.

On the other hand, I just went to the Saitek site to check for driver updates and noticed they had a wireless EVO joystick!! Anyone here ever try it out? And/or anyother wireless sticks that might be worth looking at?

F_3

Tentacle19 12-20-2009 01:54 AM

Logitech Wingman cordless Freedom 2.4

All buttons mappable, hatswitch works. Throttle works but you have to fiddle with it to get it to stay where you want. Rudder works ( twist handle ). Haven't used it much except for a few test flights. Seems promising.

AlunDave 12-20-2009 08:38 PM

Does the force feed back actually work on the PS3?

FilthyPrick 12-21-2009 08:38 AM

Saitek Cyborg evoFF

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlunDave (Post 130226)
Does the force feed back actually work on the PS3?

Throttlle works fine, but no force feed-back.

FilthyPrick 12-21-2009 08:41 AM

saitek Cyborg evo FF

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 (Post 129346)

Thanks.

F_3

Throttle is fine and I think 5&7 are visible (just), depending on the cockpit design.

SoCalLefty 12-29-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philabong2 (Post 128995)

Deadzone - no problem since the patch- didnt even try to customize cause it was fine

Hey, philabong, your post is encouraging, but I just got a chance to try BoP with an AV8R-03 and the deadzone is huge.

Sorry if I missed a post back in time, but is there some joystick calibration / setting within BoP that will make to the AV8R-03 usable for lining up a shot? As it stands now I don't have enough gunsight control hit anything. ;)

philabong2 12-30-2009 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalLefty (Post 132130)
Hey, philabong, your post is encouraging, but I just got a chance to try BoP with an AV8R-03 and the deadzone is huge.

Sorry if I missed a post back in time, but is there some joystick calibration / setting within BoP that will make to the AV8R-03 usable for lining up a shot? As it stands now I don't have enough gunsight control hit anything. ;)

there is a deadzone calibration in BoP since the patch, but i didnt even have to mingle w it - b4 the patch the deadzone was HUGE on this stick.
I am on ps3 also: i heard the xbox was still stuck with that huge deadzone issue

hypertek 01-01-2010 11:23 PM

i got logitech wing man force 3d
I suppose its a dinosaur. i try to configure it but game doesnt respond well with it, and it doesnt have the full range in motion, like i try to move and the plan moves slightly.

Phoenixdu 01-07-2010 09:14 PM

CH Fighterstick

No luck with a CH fighterstick. LED on the stick comes on, but the game will not recognize it.

xBino 01-08-2010 06:50 PM

Saitek x45 does not work properly.

All buttons/axis can be mapped and customized, but the plane flails around even when stick is centered. it would seem the ailerons and elevators are all out of calibration and non centering properly. All sensivity/deadzone adjustments had no effect.

Tested flight on a helo sim on PC afterwards and calibration is not the issue.

What a bummer...

sailplate 01-09-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philabong2 (Post 128995)

Assigned buttons - Buttons locations is one of the downside of this stick. I did a mod on it to relocate the map and flap controls closer to the throttle. Evrything else works fine (exept the zoom...)

Hat switch - works prefecly. Needs a little gettin used to cause its doesnt have the same feel as the joystick on the pad but its pretty good imo

Other - the other big dowside is the twisting action of the stick for rudder control - this is the only thing that i trully hate about this thing - might try to do another mod where i would add a pedal bar...

So unless u dont care about doin mods to ur gear at the risk of having to buy another cause u broke it, the AV8R-03 is the stick for u lol

Hello Philabong2, I have an AV8R-03 for PS-3. How do I get the patch to calibrate the deadzone on a PS-3? It's very erratic when firing guns.

xBino 01-10-2010 02:58 AM

make sure you're signed onto the PSN network and it will DL automatically when you start the game.

from there it's pretty straight forward. Options -> settings, etc.

fangface666 01-10-2010 09:27 PM

Saitek X52

spent most of yesterday setting this up, works well in arcade, sim and realistic is more tricky.
The settings I have are as follow, if anyones interested.

Absolute throttle on, all throttle/aileron/elevator/rudder deadzones removed (all the way to the left, no highlighted segments) also the same with the nonlinearity settings (whatever they may be). these are from memory so I will re edit if needs be.

Only issues I've discovered is no brakes on landing!! (despite patch) you cant have any other controller on, as this knocks the throttle onto the rudder, and the freeview mouse stick is (in my opinion) orientated wrong.
ie as your hand is on the throttle to look up you would pull back on the stick with your thumb, like you would holding a game pad, but this infact makes you look left! a little confusing to say the least

[GT RX] 01-19-2010 01:24 PM

I have an original X52 and I'm absolutely loving using it again, But I can't complete the secondary objective's as I can't figure out how to map the select button? How have the other X-52 user's got around this? I'm thinking of getting a 52 pro but the lack of select button is putting me off a bit

caphead 01-30-2010 06:48 PM

borrowed the game from a friend to check out how supported things are now, and yes I was put off that the x52 has no "select" button mapped! no can it be mapped in any way that i see.. messed around abit and gave it back..

cape 02-07-2010 05:48 PM

I have an X52 and I am unable to map the throttle to anything, it's like the game doesn't recognize it at all. I have tested throttle lever on pc and it works just fine. I can map throttle to slider on throttle lever and all buttons are working.

Anyone have any tips on this?

fangface666 02-08-2010 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cape (Post 142265)
I have an X52 and I am unable to map the throttle to anything, it's like the game doesn't recognize it at all. I have tested throttle lever on pc and it works just fine. I can map throttle to slider on throttle lever and all buttons are working.

Anyone have any tips on this?

Hi, the throttle will work, BUT you must make sure ALL other controllers are off.
So start the ps3 with X52 plugged in but without any (ps3) controller turned on.
Use the X52 to navigate and select the game, from memory
trigger = square
Button A = circle
Button B = triangle
Fire button under flap = X

you dont need to assign the throttle to anything, I will send you a pic of my settings which work.

if you get into the game and the throttle doesn't work, try the rudder, as there is a glitch whereby the throttle is sometimes reassigned to the rudder, if this is the case just turn off the ps3 and restart the game, BY USING THE X52 ONLY,then everything should be back to normal.

once the game starts and the settings have been loaded the button configuration changes to the following if you use my layout.
the trigger becomes X
fire button becomes circle
Button A=square
Button B= triangle
will upload screen grabs of settings later.

fangface666 02-08-2010 03:21 PM

Pause menu settings
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...irdsOfPrey.png

Controls option under custom layout
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...dsOfPrey_1.png
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...dsOfPrey_2.png
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...dsOfPrey_3.png

Settings options under custom layout
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...dsOfPrey_4.png

hope this helps ;)
Obviously the button mapping is a starting point, but at least you have a check list of settings now that you know work.
HOWEVER there is no zoom function or landing brakes if you use a custom layout, if you have a thrustmaster they do, PC sticks dont.

cape 02-12-2010 06:49 AM

Thanks a lot fangface666. I will try these settings during weekend.

fangface666 02-12-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cape (Post 142932)
Thanks a lot fangface666. I will try these settings during weekend.

No worries bud, they work, just don't neccesarily make you a good pilot :eek:

if you connect your x52 to your PC first you can work out the button numbering.

Add me on PSN if you want. :grin:

The Few 02-16-2010 11:17 PM

So the ps3 recognizes my mouse and it works on the home menu but the game doesn't seem to recognize it when I try to map it. Any suggestions?

The Few 02-16-2010 11:21 PM

So I'm trying to get my mouse to work for the camera and the ps3 recognizes it (works on the home menu) but the game doesn't seem too, at least it doesn't do anything while I'm trying to map it. Any suggestions?

PurplePenguin04 03-21-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fangface666 (Post 142473)
hope this helps ;)
Obviously the button mapping is a starting point, but at least you have a check list of settings now that you know work.
HOWEVER there is no zoom function or landing brakes if you use a custom layout, if you have a thrustmaster they do, PC sticks dont.

I messed around with the setting using your setup as a starting point. I just wanted to mention that the zoom function does work if you map it to a button. I have mine mapped to the pinkie trigger (button 6). I may have misunderstood what you meant when you say there is no zoom though.

I also tried mapping the mouse nub on the throttle to the look camera but it seems to get the centering way off, the camera looks all the way to the left. Having a nonlinearity setting for the look camera would be nice and could probably fix this issue. Having one for the throttle might help with the braking issue too.

I had this game for the Xbox 360 but after news of the patch, or lack thereof, I decided to trade the game in (On Goozex) and get the PS3 version. It's nice being able to use a PC flight stick.

hiro 01-05-2011 02:29 AM

Thrustmaster X HOTAS HAWX true plug n play for PS3

The Thrustmaster X HOTAS that came out for lame HAWX game works. Its even plug n play (make sure its on ps triple setting). I used the thrustmaster settings and they work in game.

I'd give this a 4 out of 5. ANd I'd recommend it.

Why? First off it's plug and play (my BOP is patched for PS3), and reading the posts here kinda scared me because I didn't want to go through the hassle I went through setting up IL-2 and my CH stuff (which was semi plug n play) on my PC (which died so I'm here instead of there).

Note on plug n play: Make sure it works in the PS3 OS (operating system screen), if it does, once you turn on Thrustmaster in BOP settings you loose your game pad, so everything works on the Thrustmaster in game. The hat is directional button. Hold down the hat, as its not as sensitive as the PS3 game pad + directional buttons.

Its price is great. Lower than the Saitek PS3 offering, and logitech's (I wanted something else other than logitech, which is good but the deadzone of the Extreme needs tweaking).

Logitech on amazon actually was cheaper but I wanted a PS3 stick (for Ace Combat series which will return to PS3 muwahahaaha)

Workmanship is good. Its plastic, and good plastic. Its pretty tough. It uses 1 USB port on the PS3, which is great. Its not all metal, but good luck trying to find something all metal these days without costing an arm and leg and a tank of gas.

The throttle can be separated from the stick, which is helpful (especially for me who likes them apart like a real plane), but theres a limit due to the cable that attaches both units together (and you can't detach the cable).

You have two Yaw controls on default thrustmaster setting (first one in the game controllers), two buttons on the throttle and the twist stick.

The only issue is that its space age looking, and the throttle doesn't sit in my hand as well as CH Products throttle does.

Button placement is a minor issue. On the throttle I have let my hand go (i'm a medium glove size US) to reach some of the buttons. On the stick, sometimes I bump the bomb button during lots of maneuvering since its on one of the top corners (I use my middle finger on the trigger with my index free for something else; an old CH fighterstick habit).

For BOP I tend to fly 70% to WEP alot, and since the throttle rests highest on 50% that kinda is a bummer.

Another slight teensy tiny issue is the throttle is darn sensitive. I can get better control out of the game pad. On the game pad I could get 1% increments. On the throttle, I can get 5% increments of change if I get lucky, usually 10% is the norm.

Also anything forward of 70% and it slides into WEP easily. In Arcade you can milk the WEP (when engine coughs back off to 100% wait a sec and WEP again) which can get you ME-262 speeds, but on the throttle here its hard to do, since you pull back and its at 60% or something not 90-100%.

It doesn't force feedback. Movement is a little sluggish, more on the throttle than stick, stick is similar to a Logitech Extreme stick but as stated before, I'm used to the ease of a CH fighterstick.

Difference between the game pad and stick really is night and day. For the IL-2 PC gamers, its just a tad below using keyboard and mouse vs a joystick in my case. A stick really helps get that fine movement for gunnery. On the game pad, its hard for me to roll and track but on the stick it just comes natural, especially highly maneuverable fighters like the LA-7 or Spit.

Also realistic and sim modes are alot easier with the thrustmaster X, even the insta-stall of the P-51D is smoothed out and that plane really handles well.

All in all a good stick and serves my needs for IL-2 BOP

Dr.Rockzo 02-01-2011 09:15 PM

slightly off topic, but how exactly can I do custom controls for this game? I got this game today and updated it to 1.01 but when I try to enter "custom layout", nothing happens! Perhaps I need to go through the tutorials first?

Dr.Rockzo 02-02-2011 07:05 AM

Never mind, just figured it out, however, I'm also trying to make it run with a good old Saitek Evo FFB but throttle doesn't work. I read that you have to boot the PS3 without activating any other controllers BUT it doesn't seem that my Playstation don't want to start directly with the game as you boot anymore, I always start on the XMB screen first which is a bitch navigating with the Saitek.. any ideas how to fix that?

Rayvyn 02-08-2011 11:45 AM

Has anyone tried a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 with the PS3?

JOED70 02-08-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Rockzo (Post 219560)
Never mind, just figured it out, however, I'm also trying to make it run with a good old Saitek Evo FFB but throttle doesn't work. I read that you have to boot the PS3 without activating any other controllers BUT it doesn't seem that my Playstation don't want to start directly with the game as you boot anymore, I always start on the XMB screen first which is a bitch navigating with the Saitek.. any ideas how to fix that?

Try using pad to navigate XMB then when game starts turn off pad when the press start button on game screen apears . Then use stick this is were the game picks up controler . This works for me . If you forget to turn off pad or turn it back on after you will start to have weird control issues

Grintch 02-09-2011 02:40 PM

Newb question. How do you turn off the pad?

Just got the PS3, and IL-2 is my first PS game.

Yoxford Boy 03-18-2011 08:04 PM

Noob question here. What layout do i use for the thrustmaster hotas? the guy above says its plug and play but not for me it isn't. The throttle stick works the rudder. The rudder works the throttle....etc. I tried the 2 thrustmaster settings in the controller layout and they didnt make much difference. I see a PC stick and custom.... Do I need to go custom all the way?? And if so...does anyone have the settings? Thanks

MACADEMIC 03-18-2011 08:11 PM

To turn of the PS3 controller (pad):

Press the PS button on the pad (the one in the center) and hold -> a screen with options will appear. One of them is to turn of the controller.

Might also solve the HOTAS issues. Good luck.

MAC

Yoxford Boy 03-21-2011 09:13 PM

I got the TM Hotas to work pretty well. This is FYI for anyone considering buying or attempting to install one. I had to use a the custom layout and a fair amount of trial and error. I also LOCKED the right stick so it would not swivel ( twist ). There are a couple of the buttons that you can not program at all and 2 of those default to the pause menu and console menu. I was able to program everything but but had to sacrifice 1 item .... Target Camera. I also found on something interesting. the O, X, triangle, and square buttons are on the left stick ( throttle ). When I crashed and tried to click the "X" to continue it would not accept the command. By accident I discovered that some of those will only work IF the throttle is in the stright up position. In all, I have yet to work all the gremlins out of the system but do enjoy the play and control the stick gives.

MetallicAttack 08-18-2011 05:43 PM

I have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, problems:

1- The plane doesn't respond to the joystick movement correctly/properly, for example I push the stick 20% forward but the plane elevators don't move AT ALL

2- Same with the rudders...

3- throttle control, lol it's really funny, the RPM is not relative to the throttle's position as it should be.

can someone help me with those...?

alsevillajr 08-31-2011 05:51 AM

AV8R on Custom Layout for PS3

Let me start by saying that flying on "custom layout", for the most part is only applicable to arcade. I say this for the reason that on Realistic or Sim the amount of full elevator deflection is NOT ALTERED regardless of the settings...and only responds to the adjustments made on the "Elevator Nonlinearity" setting and not the "General" control settings...and what this does is, if you know how model remote control settings work is known as "exponential", It does not affect the full travel adjustment. To explain this briefly...even if you set the nonlinearity settings at full(all the way to the right)...what it does is limit the deflection of the elevator initially upon stick input, only up to a certain point(good for people with shaky hands)..then towards the end of full stick travel will allow for FULL elevator travel...NOT GOOD for this application...even worse, I might say...because again..you CANNOT limit the amount of elevator travel.

I am surprised that nobody has ever mentioned or even discussed this...specially the "stick" flyers. Is this only associated with the AV8R????...Comments please

Some simers may dissagree because some have competitions with unrestricted deflection...but for some reason, it just does not respond correctly in this mode... too much tendency to stall and spin regardless... as opposed to full deflection on "Aviator Mode"

dations9 09-20-2011 02:20 AM

picked up the t flight hostas a couple days ago, been working beautifully on fsx on my pc. Yesterday I tried bop out with the flight stick, well holy SHIT is it hard to adjust to after always playing with the controller. Other than that no problems, quite a bit of mapping and setting changes but once you get it the way you like it the hostas is perfect for me.

simson 02-29-2012 06:21 PM

Thrustmaster Joystick T-Flight Stick X

Thrustmaster Joystick T-Flight Stick X : I am having problems with it

This joystick works on the PC and is supposed to be supported
in BoP(PS3) but I can't use it.
I have the PS3 Update 4.11, put my controller to positions 2 or 4,
switched to "PS3" on the flightstick and tried all options in the
game menu...
:(

Does anyone have an idea what i might be doing wrong?

bobbysocks 02-29-2012 10:17 PM

there should be 2 thrustmaster settings in your options. if not ....reinstall the patch. i had mine "get deleted" somehow after my son played a different game with the system.

simson 03-01-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbysocks (Post 395439)
there should be 2 thrustmaster settings in your options. if not ....reinstall the patch. i had mine "get deleted" somehow after my son played a different game with the system.

Thanks so much bobbysocks, just to be sure: Which patch did you install?
Where did you download it?
Sorry to bother you with this but I tried a lot
before without any success...

StiC 03-01-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simson (Post 395374)
Thrustmaster Joystick T-Flight Stick X : I am having problems with it

This joystick works on the PC and is supposed to be supported
in BoP(PS3) but I can't use it.
I have the PS3 Update 4.11, put my controller to positions 2 or 4,
switched to "PS3" on the flightstick and tried all options in the
game menu...
:(

Does anyone have an idea what i might be doing wrong?

Did you switch over to PS3 before you plugged it in? Can you use the Stick or hat to navigate the PS3's XMB?

StiC

simson 03-01-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StiC (Post 395597)
Did you switch over to PS3 before you plugged it in? Can you use the Stick or hat to navigate the PS3's XMB?

StiC

Thanks StiC,
I switched it to PS3 before plugging it in but i cannot navigate the
XMB with the flightstick. Maybe i need a patch. I don't have any
patches installed because i cannot find the downloads...

StiC 03-03-2012 10:36 PM

Did you try turning off all other controllers?
I'm assuming you are already on PSN and are signed in when you start up BoP. You need to be to get the patch.
If you can't navigate the XMB then it sounds like a problem with the stick.

StiC

simson 03-04-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StiC (Post 396475)
Did you try turning off all other controllers?
I'm assuming you are already on PSN and are signed in when you start up BoP. You need to be to get the patch.
If you can't navigate the XMB then it sounds like a problem with the stick.

StiC

Once again thanks StiC,

this worked,
i think the T-Flight Stick X is a good joice for a WW2 sim!
Curving, throttle control and looking around is so much easier than with
the PS3 controller!
:) :) :)

StiC 03-05-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simson (Post 396560)
Once again thanks StiC,

No problem, happy to help.

Take care