Official Fulqrum Publishing forum

Official Fulqrum Publishing forum (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Why does my spit spin around before engine start..? (http://forum.fulqrumpublishing.com/showthread.php?t=25874)

Robotic Pope 09-05-2011 04:56 PM

Yes but you are close to takeoff speed, not stationary on the ground. You'd need storm force winds to do that to a stationary spitfire.

TUCKIE_JG52 09-05-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robotic Pope (Post 331197)
Yes but you are close to takeoff speed, not stationary on the ground. You'd need storm force winds to do that to a stationary spitfire.

Probably there might be strong winds.

Some time ago I tested it with a 108 km/h wind and there's the effect into CoD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuMDBf6DUwE
2:35, there it is.

ACE-OF-ACES 09-05-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt vertigo (Post 331170)
For some reason brakes don't seem to help with the spit, however they work fine with 109.

Maybe something's off with control settings..

I know my brakes are individually assigned as control axis in setup..

Hmmmmm

Thanks gents.

Mike

Your not crazy Mike

I have the exact same problem you have.. My breaks dont stop it either.. One time I did see it stop spinning.. but I think it had something to do with the lay of the land.. Hard to tell, but it looked like the tail got into a low spot and 'the wind' (?) was just not strong enought to push it anymore.. That or the plane was 'in line' with the wind?

But.. if 'the wind' is the cause.. than we are saying 'the wind' is strong enough to move the plane.. if that is true.. than my rudder should be able to 'counter/affect/adj' that movment once the wind gets near inline with the plane.. but that does not seem to be the case.. which is why I dont think it is the wind doing it

Tbone81 09-05-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TUCKIE_JG52 (Post 331173)
Bf109 had differential brakes.

Spit not. Anyway it should work if that rotation is the plane facing to wind.

And no, it's not a bug.

Spits do have differential brakes.

If you apply brakes via axis you can release brake on one wheel using rudder.

NedLynch 09-05-2011 06:26 PM

Ageed, wind,not a bug.
Does the tail wheel lock on these planes? Got to find out.

kedrednael 09-05-2011 07:56 PM

When you have a plane with the wind blowing from the side it will act like a weathercock (if that's the right word) because of all the wind against the rudder the aircraft will turn into the wind.

But if you start the engine wouldn't the prop wash be much stronger than the wind? In ROF the propwash is modeled nicely so you can lift the tail from the ground while you are standing still when you have full throttle selected. And when you land and you're going the wrong way you can make the rudder more effective when you turn the engine back on.

I have stood behind prop aircraft in real life, and the prop wash is really strong. even with pretty 'weak' engines (engine of a glider (ash25mi) probably has something like 45hp)

ACE-OF-ACES 09-05-2011 08:06 PM

Never mind about the breaks for a moment..

Let's assume for a moment that it is the wind that is causing the Spit to sit-n-spin

Ok, so far so good..

Than.. why doenst the Bf-109 sit-n-spin?

Or any other plane for that matter

What is special about the Spit?

SG1_Lud 09-05-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES (Post 331320)
Never mind about the breaks for a moment..

Let's assume for a moment that it is the wind that is causing the Spit to sit-n-spin

Ok, so far so good..

Than.. why doenst the Bf-109 sit-n-spin?

Or any other plane for that matter

What is special about the Spit?

Your 109 doesnt? Cos here it does for sure.

ACE-OF-ACES 09-05-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUD (Post 331322)
Your 109 doesnt? Cos here it does for sure.

Yours does?

Ok dissregard than..

Ill admit I have not flown the 109 as much as the Spit.. but the few times I have it did not sit-n-spin like the spit does

SG1_Lud 09-05-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE-OF-ACES (Post 331323)
Yours does?

Ok dissregard than..

Ill admit I have not flown the 109 as much as the Spit.. but the few times I have it did not sit-n-spin like the spit does

I cant say always, cos i was not paying attention, but very often is accurate.
I am watching this thread with interest because I am not sure if it is the wind or not (tho I admit it is a valid explanation so far): if I recall correctly my 109 always spins counterclockwise, and that is what makes me doubt.