PDA

View Full Version : Men of War: Red Tide reviews

Nike-it
09-14-2009, 09:34 AM
German game portal Gaming XP published first review of upcoming Red Tide title. The game scored 79/100!
You can find full review in German here (http://www.gamingxp.com/bericht-2853-pc-men_of_war_red_tide.htm).

Nokturnal
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
So does this mean it is now available?
I couldn't tell for sure what language the game was in from that review, the pictures had a crap resolution. Though it did appear to be in English from the looks of a couple of them.

Also it's good to see that boats/ships are going to be under our control :) Looking forward to this, ran out of missions to play in MoW a while ago and i had to move on to ToW 2. :P

Nike-it
09-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Red Tide is not available yet, seens the guys made a review based on the press version. But the game is already relesed in Russia and the rating is great (app. 8/10).

Nokturnal
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
That seems to be getting more and more common. Are the saying it's an actual review? My translator may not be all that good and i may of just missed that..
Well atleast it wasn't released world-wide without me knowing.

It's no surprise that it got a good rating though, MoW is great.
Hopefully by the time it's available to the rest of us some of the Russian modders will have some new toys for us to play with. :)

Johan (PC writer)
09-15-2009, 05:02 PM
German game portal Gaming XP published first review of upcoming Red Tide title. The game scored 79/100!
You can find full review in German here (http://www.gamingxp.com/bericht-2853-pc-men_of_war_red_tide.htm).

''-WW2-Setting''
What kind of crap is that? Then, don't play MoW

DMS|Instinct
09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
''-WW2-Setting''
What kind of crap is that? Then, don't play MoW

German speaking magazines have a tendency to put this on a negative site, as they feel this is an overdone scenario. However for me it's the same as saying, Need for Speed: Eeek another game with cars!

earphones
11-09-2009, 10:30 PM
this game could have been as good or better then men of war but does not even come close to it. the game play is so unbalanced that it makes the game annoying to play. I like a hard game but there is no way to use any kind of strategy in this game. You can not flank your enemies in most maps, the enemy has you out numbered by tanks, artillery, mines, mg guns etc. but you only get a few infantry men with very little ammo. so you have to fish around the dead to have a fighting chance. You can not use stealth there are to many enemy around and if you manage to sneak around a tank and blow it up, you will get killed because the enemy always has you surrounded no matter what you do. You have no choice but to fight straight on the enemy every time. this would be ok if you have tanks or even mine locate-tors but you usually get nothing and you can not capture enemy tanks because they always blow up or do not allow you to capture it. so there is no strategy that is doable or fun in this game.

the graphics compared to men of war is terrible the water looks terrible the night mission effect are terrible and the big bold red letters that pop up saying tank damage and so on is way to big. Men of War was, is a fun and great game. why did they change it to this horrible game.

the stories are great and the Russians did not have good fire power at the beginning of the war, But they were much better then this game makes them out to be. make the game fun this should be the most important part of any game and this is not fun. Hope you make more games like men of war style.

i think most people will be disappointed with this game. to bad i was really looking forward to this. Digitalmindsoft is making an expansion based on men of war and if they keep with the same concepts it should be a great addition.

derf
11-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I'll have to sympathise with ^

Why is it, that a game who's data holds seemingly 100's of variations of firearms, tanks, equipment, configurations and units, has an entire expansion pack based on 3 weapons, 5 vehicles, 3 configurations and 2 unit types?

Korsakov829
11-10-2009, 05:51 PM
this game could have been as good or better then men of war but does not even come close to it. the game play is so unbalanced that it makes the game annoying to play. I like a hard game but there is no way to use any kind of strategy in this game. You can not flank your enemies in most maps, the enemy has you out numbered by tanks, artillery, mines, mg guns etc. but you only get a few infantry men with very little ammo. so you have to fish around the dead to have a fighting chance. You can not use stealth there are to many enemy around and if you manage to sneak around a tank and blow it up, you will get killed because the enemy always has you surrounded no matter what you do. You have no choice but to fight straight on the enemy every time. this would be ok if you have tanks or even mine locate-tors but you usually get nothing and you can not capture enemy tanks because they always blow up or do not allow you to capture it. so there is no strategy that is doable or fun in this game.

the graphics compared to men of war is terrible the water looks terrible the night mission effect are terrible and the big bold red letters that pop up saying tank damage and so on is way to big. Men of War was, is a fun and great game. why did they change it to this horrible game.

the stories are great and the Russians did not have good fire power at the beginning of the war, But they were much better then this game makes them out to be. make the game fun this should be the most important part of any game and this is not fun. Hope you make more games like men of war style.

i think most people will be disappointed with this game. to bad i was really looking forward to this. Digitalmindsoft is making an expansion based on men of war and if they keep with the same concepts it should be a great addition.

You have got to be kidding me, Red Tide is great, its not impossible to beat, infact I've already beat atleast 13 missions. Its got much more intense action sequences, and the graphics are the same as Men of War. If you can't kill 150 enemy soldiers and atleast one tank with one soldier like I can, then I can see why one finds it impossible. For me, nothing is impossible.

Red Tide is excellent in almost everyway, with a few glitches here and there.
Sometimes you start with 40 soldiers with guns and with no ammo.
Sometimes, a dead soldier is found standing up.
Sometimes enemy troops fire for minutes at the spot where one of your soldiers died.

The only thing bad about the game are the glitches, and they will all be fixed in time most likely. The game doesn't have multiplayer but the missions you play are so worth replaying over and over again. Its the best game I have ever played.

Viktor Mikhailovich Korsakov gives it 96/100!

Nike-it
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Rock, Paper, Shotgun review
Full text here (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/11/03/wot-i-think-men-of-war-red-tide/).

ironfelix
11-19-2009, 08:22 AM
Game Debate review - 85/100!
"...It seems slightly unfair that the game doesn’t get more credit from the gaming community given its incredible detail, meticulous attention to historical realism, stunning graphics and the intensity of the gameplay..."
Full text here (http://www.game-debate.com/articles/index.php?a_id=361&game=Men%20of%20War%20-%20Red%20Tide).

ironfelix
11-23-2009, 05:36 AM
GameStar review - 77/100
Full text here (http://www.gamestar.de/test/strategie/echtzeit/2310716/men_of_war_red_tide.html).

Tomahawk
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
I've only played a few missions so far but here's what I think of it:

+ Action packed
+ Nice sound effects
+ Well made missions...

- ...But too difficult
- Frustrating
- No multiplayer
- No Skirmish

The campaign is kind of fun, as long as you save often. So since the campaign is the only content of this game, this game is kind of fun. Too bad you guys couldn't atleast bother to include multiplayer.

Korsakov829
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
- ...But too difficult
- Frustrating
- No multiplayer
- No Skirmish

Too difficult? Well I don't see why, it seems to be just right. Too difficult for you is more like it.

Frustrating? It is a strategy game, it wouldn't be fun if it was easy.

No multiplayer? Why even need it, Red Tide is so good you can replay the missions a thousand times. It wouldn't be a Red Tide if you could play as the Romanians or some other Axis faction.

No Skirmish? Men of War doesn't have it, why should Red Tide? Sure it would be nice to have, but implementing it will take time. If its planned, don't expect it to be out soon.

Tomahawk
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Too difficult? Well I don't see why, it seems to be just right. Too difficult for you is more like it.

Frustrating? It is a strategy game, it wouldn't be fun if it was easy.

No multiplayer? Why even need it, Red Tide is so good you can replay the missions a thousand times. It wouldn't be a Red Tide if you could play as the Romanians or some other Axis faction.

No Skirmish? Men of War doesn't have it, why should Red Tide? Sure it would be nice to have, but implementing it will take time. If its planned, don't expect it to be out soon.

Just right for you is too difficult for casual gamers like me.

Frustrating? yes, it's frustrating, I've played a lot of strategy games and this is one of the most frustrating.

No multiplayer? Why this game needs it is because it would give it replayability. The missions are good, but you can't replay them forever, unlike multiplayer games, which are even more fun than replaying a SP missions. If the reason not having multiplayer is that the game is called "Red tide", then the name should have been changed.

No skirmish? Yes, men of war doesn't have it, but it should. So should this game. And the fact that MoW didn't have skirmish doesn't mean that Red tide shouldn't either.

Nike-it
11-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Hooked Gamers review - 7.5/10
"I am sure that World War II buffs will enjoy this title as much as they enjoyed the original Men of War." - comments the author.
Full text here (http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/men_of_war_red_tide/review/article-476.html).

Nike-it
11-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Dealspwn review.
"Men of War enthusiasts shouldn’t hesitate to pick up a copy of Red Tide" - says the author.
Please find the full aticle here (http://www.dealspwn.com/men-war-red-tide-review-enemy-straits/).

Nike-it
12-02-2009, 10:51 AM
PC Game Special review - 81%
Full text (NL) here (http://www.pcgamespecial.nl/?itemid=8994).

ironfelix
12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Hrajmobil review - 75%
Full text (SK) here (http://www.hrajmobil.sk/sk/pc/men-of-war-red-tide).
Google-translated quote: "...If I summarize in one paragraph, Men of War: Red Tide is a great strategy game, although quite difficult, and certainly not intended for newcomers, or C & C grown..."

Nike-it
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Games Radar review - 7/10
Full article here (http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/men-of-war-red-tide/review/men-of-war-red-tide/a-20091209105736257081/g-2009062613157286029).

Nike-it
12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Washington Times review.
"Anyone looking for a hardcore, realistic WWII simulation will find lots to love here" - states the author.
Full article here (http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/game-on-pc-game-reviews/2009/dec/16/men-war-red-tide/).

Johan (PC writer)
12-17-2009, 01:45 PM
PC Game Special review - 81%
Full text (NL) here (http://www.pcgamespecial.nl/?itemid=8994).
Thanks for posting - I wrote that

Nike-it
12-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Next2games review - 78/100
Full article here (http://next2games.de/reviews,id226,0,men_war_red_tide.html).

robi120
02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
i realy like this game.I m now on 4th campign,and the game is hard,but so cool.My favorite missons are when you spawn with 4 good russian guys and have to kill 200 germans and 10 tanks.That's so cool,cause its hard.

I will give it 94/100!

Nike-it
02-08-2010, 05:59 AM
2404 review - 8/10
"What the game does – a single-player campaign – it does very well, and if you enjoyed the rich scenarios of previous games in the series you probably own this game already. If you don't, and if you're looking for an entry point into the phenomenon, this is as stellar a place to start as any." - states the author.
Find the full article here (http://www.2404.org/reviews/men-of-war-red-tide-review).

Nike-it
02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
PC Gamer UK review - 75/100
"Brilliant, unthinking and unfair in equal measure." - states the article.

Parkaboy
04-22-2010, 12:15 AM
No multiplayer No Skirmish wft is that about?

Not many games are complete without a mutiplayer option and to have a game like MoW RT is pretty criminal. I'd love to give the game a great review but without a MP its only half a game so I'll give it 5/10 for that reason.

WoW I'm still in shock no multiplayer no Skirmish :(

SpeedWolf
04-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Just right for you is too difficult for casual gamers like me.

with all do respect but this game is not made for casual gamers.

too many casual gamers kill many of the game i love like the commandos series and Blitzkrieg as will as the close combat series to name a few.

so please all you casual gamers play a different type of game and don't kill this series because you want it easier they are so many RTS out there made for casual gamers.

if you find the men of war series to hard please play a different game.

and the thing about no Multiplayer co-op yes i agree why they didn't add co-op for red tide i play 22 mission already,

is would be nice to play co-op with a friend specially you have 22 mission in red tide that would have been fun to have co-op Multiplayer and skirmish.

because red tide don't have Multiplayer and skirmish is will be a forgotten game like Silent Heroes.

Shareef
06-18-2010, 11:56 PM
i only picked this game because i was bored, i said to myself 'pick this up play through it in a day and then go back to playing company, medeival 2 and the other great games' little did i know what was waiting for me. were as many say company of heros is better than this game, i think CP is no match for men of war, if only it had a more user friendly tools an touches.

the amount of work and tought that has been put on this game to provide it with depth and realism is far ahead of anything i've seen before, had this game had a few minor features it'd probably replace cp as the top wwii rts. and i really hope to see the next instalment having these improvment, so as to reduce the liklihood of people finding it too demanding.

so here are a couple of my own ideas:

before i start i'd like to just say MOW was far better than Red Tide because some changes were made in the wrong direction, and since i've completed MOW and am more than half way through RT i'd say that NONE OF THE EXISTING FEATURES SHOULD BE REMOVED.

micro managing units is one of this games strongest points, it is also it's weakest. especially in RT were your men will always run out of ammo. this is a cool feature, and it is realistic. but then try rearming 50 men, in the heat of battle, with little time before the enemies next attack. (i've successfully rearmed large groups of men by slowing the game down and hitting the pause key sevaral times per in game second, and i did not enjoy it, neither will anyone who tries) isnt there another way to make your troops replenish themslves with as few clicks as possiple?

my idea is that there should a new inventory mechanism, for example you equip your lone soldier with 10 med kits, 1 smg, 300 rounds, 4 ap granedes and 4 normal ones, now he is ready for battle. after some time when you wish to rearm him and his comrades, instead of selecting each and then going to a dead body or crate, consider if you could just click save inventory when he was carrying full equipment, then when you want him to replenish you click replenish and the select and area, your man will automatically go to that area and search for what he needs within it's boundries, he will only take a specific item if he has less than the saved amount, and he will only search within the area specified, when finishe he returns to his original position. so you didnt have to click though 10 bodies and 5 crates (some of which you have already looted). a feature like that will cut my mission time by atleast 30min. the same could be applied to tanks, some of the crew will exit go and fetch the right munitions and even feul from nearby disabled enemy tanks. with a saved inventory they will only carry he specified amount so there is enough left to go around. the specific area to loot from will mean your men will not venture into dangerous ground in search of suplies. and you will use the slow time feature less often as it reduces game enjoyment.

the other area this game needs improvement is sound, voice acting is cold and out of context (even terrible), red tide also changed some of the sound effects but again in the wrong direction, the old ones where better.

several important items are also extremely rare in this game, two inperticular, are mine detectors, and barrels in which to store fuel, typically every veihcle should have atleast one (they always did).

ok i'm getting sleepy but i'll probably write a few more points latter.

ps. the people who cocieved and designed this game should be proud of themselves, this is really the best piece of wwii strategy game ever, perhaps better than all modern warfare rts games.

Korsakov829
06-19-2010, 01:42 PM
The sound is very horrible in the English version. It would sound much better in the Russian version.

Red Tide is very very hard. There are no such things as mass infantry rush for the marines, there is only sneaking behind enemy lines in the middle of battle, placing dynomite here and there, hijacking tanks. If you play good enough you can lose no troops in almost every mission. Whats funny is that the game is so hard, you won't find a difference in Easy or Hard difficulty.