PDA

View Full Version : Treated like a bloody theif...

Securom is garbage
09-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I have installed, uninstalled, and re-installed the game multiple times before getting the solution to install the 1.65 patch instead of the 1.7 ENGLISH patch because that patch is for ENGLAND and they are referring to the COUNTRY, and not the language, supposedly -- and therefore securom is treating people who've downloaded the 1.7 patch as criminal pirates and not allowing the game to run -- and not even offering a potential solution on their forums.

This kind of copy protection is CRAP, and I'll be watching more closely for companies that employ it, or media that reports this method of copy protection has rehabilitated. I *NEVER* pirate software, and it is bad enough I have to keep CD keys on file and if I lose them my games become effectively garbage -- not being able to play them without a head-ache in the first place is over the line.

I am going to keep my eyes open and vote with my dollars relating to any companies who employ this hideously flawed CP method. I encourage everyone else to do the same. Adopting a practice that has even an OUTSIDE chance of legal paying customers using your product is just unacceptable. What of the unspoken population of tragically non-tech savvy who can't seek info, trouble-shoot and solve these problems effectively, or children who can't do the same and who's parents couldn't operate a computer to save themselves?

Just wrong.

-SiG

jake21
09-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Just remember it is usually the PUBLISHER not the game producer that add copy protection of this nature.

I have installed, uninstalled, and re-installed the game multiple times before getting the solution to install the 1.65 patch instead of the 1.7 ENGLISH patch because that patch is for ENGLAND and they are referring to the COUNTRY, and not the language, supposedly -- and therefore securom is treating people who've downloaded the 1.7 patch as criminal pirates and not allowing the game to run -- and not even offering a potential solution on their forums.

This kind of copy protection is CRAP, and I'll be watching more closely for companies that employ it, or media that reports this method of copy protection has rehabilitated. I *NEVER* pirate software, and it is bad enough I have to keep CD keys on file and if I lose them my games become effectively garbage -- not being able to play them without a head-ache in the first place is over the line.

I am going to keep my eyes open and vote with my dollars relating to any companies who employ this hideously flawed CP method. I encourage everyone else to do the same. Adopting a practice that has even an OUTSIDE chance of legal paying customers using your product is just unacceptable. What of the unspoken population of tragically non-tech savvy who can't seek info, trouble-shoot and solve these problems effectively, or children who can't do the same and who's parents couldn't operate a computer to save themselves?

Just wrong.

-SiG

dannuck
09-03-2009, 12:20 AM
You might also notice that, on the patch page, under version 1.7, it states that the patch is for the version published by Nobilis, and then the 1.65 version states that its for the version published by Atari. So, you should only apply the patch that applies to the version of the game that you have. If you're in America, its Atari. Maybe not the best wording by whoever put that page together, but still, all the evidence is there that the 1.7 patch is not the one you want.