PDA

View Full Version : Even more PhysX?

Au{R}oN
08-29-2009, 02:30 AM
Hello guys, i spent some minutes in the forum for searching something about tweaks to improve physix stuff.

Sad, i only read about lot of people complain about game performance... well thats not a problem to me so..

My question is:

There some console (or .cfg files) commands wich improve physix reality?

Just to be more accurate, you remember the very first tech-demo video?? (The one with the soldier with the 2 light on shoulders and the water that fall on him) Well, in that video the water DOESN'T disappear even after lot of second.
But, in the retail game, even after the "amazing" 1.1 physix patch, the water disappear after very very few second (3-4s maybe).
If it's possibile the same for the icicle pieces.

Edit:

Ok i found it by myself, now the water remain for unlimited time on the map (awesome!), but there is one other problem, fluid particles number is limited, and even by change
p.maxfluidwater = 20000 to
p.maxfluidwater = 40000 (or any other value)
the max particles number doesn't change... maybe the command isn't related to this parameter??

P.S

There some developers that visit the forum sometimes? o.O

My feel is that this game is very well 'moddable', but there no support / guide on that... what's the point of this?

Au{R}oN
09-01-2009, 08:58 PM
So, noone here can help me to increase the amount of max water particles??

Nike-it
09-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Unfortunately the devs don't visit the forum.

Au{R}oN
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Unfortunately the devs don't visit the forum.

Ok, thats not a good news.
Do you know if they use twitter, facebook or something else?

Nike-it
09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Ok, thats not a good news.
Do you know if they have use twitter, facebook or something else?

as far as I know, they don't use them.:(

Xiaopang
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Hello guys, i spent some minutes in the forum for searching something about tweaks to improve physix stuff.

Sad, i only read about lot of people complain about game performance... well thats not a problem to me so..

then you didn't search very thoroughly. my thread about my performance mod, which explicitly deals with this problem was just a couple of threads below yours

Just to be more accurate, you remember the very first tech-demo video?? (The one with the soldier with the 2 light on shoulders and the water that fall on him) Well, in that video the water DOESN'T disappear even after lot of second.

the water does disappear, or else you would end up with a quickly rising particle count, which no current hardware could handle. you just don't see how the particle count is balanced by removing particles after a certain time span

My feel is that this game is very well 'moddable', but there no support / guide on that... what's the point of this?

almost all games are moddable, because most engines offer generic interfaces for an easier and more efficient creation process. that's the reason why games allow for easy modification. however, no one says that you're even supposed to mess with the game (except for very few cases, where devs release tools for that purpose), so how do you even get the idea to bitch about the fact that the game doesn't come with documentation on how to mod it? usually you'd have to license the engine to get such information. if you want to mod the game, then you will have to explore its inner workings by yourself, just as any other modder out there has to

Au{R}oN
09-13-2009, 11:07 PM
then you didn't search very thoroughly. my thread about my performance mod, which explicitly deals with this problem was just a couple of threads below yours

I saw your performace mod threadm but it only downgrade the game, and not add a bit of 'realistic things'.

the water does disappear, or else you would end up with a quickly rising particle count, which no current hardware could handle. you just don't see how the particle count is balanced by removing particles after a certain time span

I succesfully removed particles life-time, and upgraded the partcle numbers, my system can handle 54.000 (44.000 only for water, 22k from an emitter + 22k from another emitter) particle without any hangs / freeze or frame-drop, BUT, after that number the particles start to disappear... due to 'unknow reason', maybe an engine limitation, (anyway, i'm currently working on that).

so how do you even get the idea to bitch about the fact that the game doesn't come with documentation on how to mod it.

Developers didn't encode the script files, and there nothing wrong with mod the game, even without lincese permissions, (except if you make money with the mod).

if you want to mod the game, then you will have to explore its inner workings by yourself, just as any other modder out there has to

And that's exaclty what i'm doing, BUT a little help from developers (if possible) is never a bad thing.

Xiaopang
09-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I saw your performace mod threadm but it only downgrade the game, and not add a bit of 'realistic things'.

then you stopped reading after the first post, because the thread went into exactly that direction... also, in your first post you asked about cfg-files that contain physics flags and my mod deals with exactly those. just because i lowered the values doesn't mean that you can't raise them...

I succesfully removed particles life-time, and upgraded the partcle numbers, my system can handle 54.000 (44.000 only for water, 22k from an emitter + 22k from another emitter) particle without any hangs / freeze or frame-drop, BUT, after that number the particles start to disappear... due to 'unknow reason', maybe an engine limitation, (anyway, i'm currently working on that).

like i said before: particles have to disappear or else you'd bring any current computer down if you encountered scenes with sudden raise in particle count, e.g. water streams and ice shards due to shooting and such. fiddling with the lifetime doesn't have to say much. as soon as you hit the particle limit, older particles will be removed.

Developers didn't encode the script files, and there nothing wrong with mod the game, even without lincese permissions, (except if you make money with the mod).

yes and i never said it's wrong to mod a game, but it certainly isn't alright to expect them to include a documentation for that. just because the scripts aren't encrypted doesn't mean that they have to support people who want to fiddle around with them.

And that's exaclty what i'm doing, BUT a little help from developers (if possible) is never a bad thing.

sure thing, but the devs don't really care about the community, so don't expect anything from them.

Au{R}oN
09-17-2009, 08:38 PM
then you stopped reading after the first post, because the thread went into exactly that direction... also, in your first post you asked about cfg-files that contain physics flags and my mod deals with exactly those. just because i lowered the values doesn't mean that you can't raise them...

Ups, yeah i just looked other posts. My Fault

Anyway, water particles can't reach valure higher than 22k, but all-particles can reach 53+k value... did you find how to change this setting?

Xiaopang
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
uhm again....other thread. why do you think you can't raise the values higher? there is no particle counter to show you when you max out an option

Au{R}oN
09-17-2009, 09:14 PM
uhm again....other thread. why do you think you can't raise the values higher? there is no particle counter to show you when you max out an option
Yes there is a particles counter, and it freeze @22k (for water)

Default water particles is 20k, you can raise it to 22k, after that value, nothing happen, BUT if you have multiple emitter, you can obtain more than 22k of water particles, i reach 54k, and not tried over.

Xiaopang
09-18-2009, 02:19 AM
how do you activate the particle counter?

Au{R}oN
09-18-2009, 06:46 PM
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6139/cryow.jpg

how do you activate the particle counter?

As you can see the system can handle nearly 60.000 particles, @60 FPS, from 20k to 60k the drop is just 8~9 FPS, so particles number can be increased A LOT, anyway, the command is

d.showstats 8

There lot of parameter available... from 1 to 20, each parameter show different debug information, this is really usefull, with that i succesfully implemented a very 'primitive' blood mod.

Xiaopang
09-23-2009, 02:32 AM
wow, that is a nice discovery! congratulations. somehow i must have overlooked this option. i always had a feeling that more particles would be possible, although 60.000 seems to be quite a number. fluidmark only benchmarks graphics cards with 30.000 particles. still, i'd like to see the particle count pushed past the 100.000 mark. what graphics card are you running the game on?

Au{R}oN
09-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Here my system spec
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=451679

The GPU is an overclocked (not too much) GTX 280

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLzZr37bKrU