PDA

View Full Version : Wierd and frustrating problem in "Behind Enemy lines"

Anhvu
08-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm playing this russian campaign mission on normal diffculty settings.

I don't understand why, but I keep getting a warning saying that I leave too much evidence behind. I don't see how that is considering that I haven't been spotted at all. There absolutely no warning of any sort that I been alerting the guards. In fact, I get this warning message even before I penetrated the german defense line. As a result, the stealth lvl ends with objectives failed and I'm forced to fight against the Seelow Heights defenses.

It is really irritating, that the mission might have a bug. I also have noticed that the AI tends to randomly wander into the no-man's land between the trenches, do you think the AI is setting off the alarm? how can I fix this?

Anhvu
08-25-2009, 10:18 PM
anybody? please, I really love men of war but I just can't get past this lvl.

Like I said, I keep noticing that random AI russian units wander over to the german lines and trip the alarm. any ideas???

I'd be really grateful for any response

JackS7917
08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Well I can tell you this was a tough mission. Advice. You can see the field of view of the Germans by left clicking on the soldier (red X). There field of view is larger than you think This helps you a lot because now can see what they can. So stay out of their view. Stay in the bushes and in the dark. Do not move in the bushes even in the light. Move in the dark and stay as undected as possible. Do not kill anyone this helps you avoid the ( my theory) phrase " we are leaving to much evidence etc,"
Stay out of the search lights and flares is a must. Use your sniper to shoot out a search light or two to help you advance up to the base. Uncover all the mines on the main road in three strips. Turn them over and make them yours by picking up and then replanting them on the road and exits and entrances to the road. Avoid the lighted area's. Hide when the German patrols approaches. Try to sneak up to the base and come in the back and kill a one of the mechanics closest to the back entrance. There are box of tank mines in a box opposite side of the back entrance near some field guns. Plant two mines in front of each of the tanks. Avoid the patrols and hide when necessary. Go slow and save a lot. If you hear that "leaving evidence behind" try reloading and avoid what you did before. Planting tank mines and dynamite the inventories of the motorized artillary guns and wheeled field guns is important. Try to leave the large wheeled artillery. These guns can help you advance up the left side. Definitely try to destroy the rocket launchers by planting dynamite in their inventories. Do not plant AP mines because this may set off the alarm. Hope this helps!

Anhvu
08-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Thank you very much,

I appreciate your detailed walkthrough, no doubt it will be useful to completing the mission.

However I get that message regardless of my actions, I haven't killed anyone and I don't move during the light.

Your theory is the same as mine but with a difference; I believe some of the random AI are the ones who are setting it off, one or two russian AIs saunter over to the german lines and kill germans thus waking up more and leaving behind "evidence" (Some germans do the samething vice versa)

It pains me to no end that I can't do this mission because of them.:(

Slowhand
08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't understand why, but I keep getting a warning saying that I leave too much evidence behind. I don't see how that is considering that I haven't been spotted at all. There absolutely no warning of any sort that I been alerting the guards. In fact, I get this warning message even before I penetrated the german defense line. ... It is really irritating, that the mission might have a bug. I also have noticed that the AI tends to randomly wander into the no-man's land between the trenches, do you think the AI is setting off the alarm?
I honestly don't know what triggers those ominous "leaving too much evidence behind" messages either, Anhvu, but I doubt it has anything to do with the AI wandering into enemy territory. At least its never had any effect in my playthorugh of the mission. In fact, I've frontally assaulted several trenches at long range with my squad and downed a few opponents w/o ever setting off an alarm. After a while I simply ignored the notices and kept on playing, eventually achieving all of the objectives and completing the level.

The only thing that continuously got me into trouble was improperly hidden bodies, i.e. neglecting to patiently monitor enemy patrol routes before dumping them. Unfortunately, by the time they were discovered and the alarm sounded I was usually somewhere on the other side of the map, essentially forcing me to revert to a long-previous save and losing a serious amount of gameplay as a consequence.

Use your sniper to shoot out a search light or two to help you advance up to the base.Shooting out searchlights is a good tip, JackS7917. Unfortunately, I've found that some operators dismount and permanently position themselves so inconveniently that their field of view continuously blocks a vital route w/o my being able to remove them silently afterwards. Consequently, some lights are best left alone imo, and easier to sneak around rather than disable. In any case, it's a good idea to save the game before attempting this in order to test the consequences, lest you accidentally paint yourself into a corner in the process.

JackS7917
08-27-2009, 01:10 AM
I tried going up the right side like they recommend. There is a way to go past the German lines on the right if your careful without killing anyone. There is usually a heavy machine gun that is left open leaving a large gap in the line. If you sneak down to that small pond and sneak up to a downed tree on the left side of the pond there is a gap in the German line straight ahead I tried it this way many time with success but ultimately suffering from an early alarm and suffering on the second part and running out of reinforcements.
I finally did better on this first part by going up the left side. Go all the way left and shoot out the search light on the far left side. I used the sniper and put all the dynamite in his inventory or all that I could except for 4 of them. I went up the left side sneaking my way up to the base planting dynamite where I could and mining the tanks in the base and on the roads around the base. I believe the key is to plant dynamite in the guns where you can and rocket launcher in the base and on the left hill. Uproot the German mines on the road and use the tank mines to your advantage. It really helps also to sabotage the Rocket Launchers and some key field guns and the mobile artillery. I planted the remaining dynamite on the hill on the right side in the guns that I could.
In the second part I attacked the left side trenches with a tank and a armored car with the two machine guns (excellent killer but stay away for field guns and artillery). Then I took the middle and got hold of the large artillery piece and used it to attack the left side and move up. The AI troops actually took the right side by themselves with I believe one bombing run from me. It may be my imagination but it seemed that as you made small advances or destroyed Germans with your troops or captured artillery you were more supported by the AI troops or so it seemed. Using the captured large artillery really helped support the AI troops. Oh on the first part don't worry about eventually setting off the alarm or making it to the top of the road with all your troops as long as you do enough sabotage is what really counts. I only used two soldiers for the entire mission.

Morgoth
08-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I found this mission preaty easy,i used just one man for it on the scouting mission,went just to the right up to that large road,& completed all mission's from that area,in stealth mode of course,the less people you use the less chance of alerting them & failing,if you try to use all your men,your most likely to alert someone & fail.:grin:

And more importantly only you can set off the alarm & fail the mission,not the computer's men.I did it with the Special Op's guy only.:grin:

Anhvu
08-28-2009, 04:50 AM
The only thing that continuously got me into trouble was improperly hidden bodies, i.e. neglecting to patiently monitor enemy patrol routes before dumping them.

Well I could understand that, it seems a little naive to blame it on AI but when I meant leaving evidence, I mean as in the Russian AI on the left side slowly advance & shoot, and leave german bodies around in plain view, bodies that I had nothing to do with.

on the first part don't worry about eventually setting off the alarm or making it to the top of the road with all your troops as long as you do enough sabotage is what really counts. I only used two soldiers for the entire mission.

Well For me that would work, it's just that this msg/warning of evidence appears quite early and shortly later the alarm goes off and the mission forcefully ends with the main objective complete (Alexey says that was close) remember and so regardless thus I'm denied any opportunity to sabotage. thus making the 2nd assault part of the mission much harder.

I'm literally talking about hearing the the "evidence warning" for no reason before anything else. and sometimes when i haven't even moved yet, I camped out on the russian sides just to see, same story...

I guess I'll just have experiment around or lower the difficulty (easy is boring):|