PDA

View Full Version : (Helicopter) Veitnam Med-Evac

Vladomir
08-12-2009, 04:55 AM
Does anyone remember the Vietnam Med-Evac game from the search and rescue series? It had a great flight model and looked good for its time. You flew missions to drop off troops and pick up wounded. I had high hopes for Whirlwind Vietnam but it was horrible! The work and support that Il-2 Sturmovik has had over the years is awesome.. bought the game day 1 and still play it today! I wish that 1C would make a vietnam med-evac game. I find that taking off and landing choppers in a specific area can be challenging and fun. A dynamic battle field that has a changing front line that you can influence by dropping off troops in areas that need reinforcements and shuttling wounded back to base/hospital could be lots of fun. Multiplay could have co-op gunships with door gunners laying down fire for Med-evac choppers and the guys on the ground even if they are just computer controlled (not looking for a FPS) Vietnam Med-Evac had a feature where you could go into semi hover mode and move the chopper with the arrow keys while shooting bad guys on the ground with door gun using the mouse then pop back to the pilot seat and fly off. We need a good helo game from these guys thier models are so great and if anyone can make a good flight sim its 1C Maddox games! I know DCS Black Shark looks good but it seems that all chopper games are attack based... Don't get me wrong thats fun but something a little more flightsim less blow crap up could be a nice change but not like MSF where you get bored with nothing to do but fly point to point. there is so much they could do with a helo sim just take a look at an old but fun game Vietnam Med-Evac They did it along time ago a new updated game along these lines could be awesome!!:cool:

My wish to 1C.. I'll be watching the horizon for a good helo sim.
Vlad

Nike-it
08-12-2009, 06:36 AM
You should try DCS: Black Shark, great sim. 1C Published it in Russia, and it is really cool.

Vladomir
08-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks Nike-it I am going to get DCS Black Shark for sure... just long for the helicopter flight sim without so much of the "attack" part of it. I guess it is kinda like playing WW2 fighter sim over a modern jet sim... Il-2 was about the dog fight where some of the modern jet sims are about locking on with missles from 5 miles out... not as much fun to me. I really can't recomend Vietnam Med-Evac because it is too old for most people to enjoy with todays graphics being so much better but it was a helicopter "flight sim" that gave you missions. It was more about the approach and the tatics to complete the missions not head count.. You know what I mean? I'm not complaining about ANY flight sims just looking for that type of game play that I havn't seen in a long time.

FiremanDJ
05-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Sorry for reviving this old topic, but I still play Vietnam MedEvac because NOTHING competes with the missions.

The flight model has some flaws, like the complete lose of the rotor blades from the smallest touch with the invisible collision model of a tree. Also ground effect and transitional lift are missing.

Yes again I'm looking for something where I'm involved in the combat indirectly.
Job's I'd like to do are transporting troops into a hot battlefield, evac'ing the wounded, dropping ammo and supplies.
Also other taskings like sling load artillery guns into place before troops deploy etc.

Not just flying the Huey, but also the Chinook and other Vietnam era choppers.

Oh, a couple of missions with guns and rockets installed would be ok.

Surely with 1C's current list of helicopter games, it'd be easy to adapt one and release it as either a stand alone or as an expansion pack.

USA Trucker
05-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I agree with both posters. I also played that game years ago. It was a nice change from the typical shoot’em up flight game, and would like to see it revitalized. DCS Black Shark is nice, but some indirect combat missions would be cool too for those tired of the same ole shoot’em, and go back to base games.:cool: