PDA

View Full Version : Mines on hilll 243 Soviet mission - how?

wolfweb
06-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Soviet campaign - I've had to clear the trenches, capture the church, capture hill 243 and now my mission is to hold hill 243.

I've found some anti-personnel mines and can lay them no problem, just select mine from the use action menu.

However I think I need some mines for the waves of tanks, I can't seem to stop them with the handful of men I have left.

I found some mines on the top of the hill in the middle under the camo net. But I can't seem to use them in the same way as I use other mines. They don't look much like mines, they look more like mortar bombs, but the mouseover popup says "mines" - see image:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1745/mow.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

How can I use these mines? All I can do with them is pick them up or drop them, there is no mine in the action menu when equipped with them. Am I missing something? Where are the antitank mines then?

Thanks!

torqual
06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
i searched the map and found no antitankmine in any crate. i think you must try without antitankmines. mines are only usefull when placed in big number or when you know the exact attack path of the enemy. in penal unit it would be just to easy to mine the two attack routes und stop the attack. Try to dig in your infantry on top of the hill. equip them with antitankgrenades. When the enemy tank try to climb the hill they are very vulnerable. They cannot not fire when climbing because their barrels are looking into the sky. So jump at the tanks when they are so vulnerable. Even the machineguns can not be used proberly when climbing. The western assault will be waiting on foot of the hill. They will be killed by the crossing russian columns. Behind the hill are two antitankguns and a flak halftrack. The flak halftrack can take out pzi, pzii with ease so and will slaughter enemy infantry in seconds. Place this baby in the center of the hill when you are really short of manpower. You have only to hold the hill 3 minutes. Only one of your men ontop of the hill must survive and you win the mission, regardless of the amount of germans that swarm the place. So it is nearly impossible to loose :). But when all things go wrong you should try a earlier savegame or restart the mission. I save at every cutscene, but i don't reload to negate wrong actions of myself. Its more fun for me to live with the losses.

wolfweb
06-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Ok thanks for the good reply, I'll try what you said. I lost the half track in the bloodbath when taking the hill but I'll go back to an earlier save.

Still, I wonder what those things in the crate are that say "mines", as per my screen shot? What are they used for? Bug?

nilloc93
07-29-2009, 07:02 PM
i would also like to know what those "mines" are

mabye there for the mine launching minigun that the people in columbia made?*sarcasm*

Morgoth
07-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Ok thanks for the good reply, I'll try what you said. I lost the half track in the bloodbath when taking the hill but I'll go back to an earlier save.

Still, I wonder what those things in the crate are that say "mines", as per my screen shot? What are they used for? Bug?

I have the answer to that guys,if you go to multiplayer & start a game on your own,then buy a mortar unit,the bomb things on the main page do indeed say morter,but press I for your inventory to come up on that unit then put cursor over the bomb shapes,the word 'mine' comes up,so there mortars,happy now lol.:-)

Slowhand
07-31-2009, 08:37 PM
I found some mines on the top of the hill in the middle under the camo net. But I can't seem to use them in the same way as I use other mines. They don't look much like mines, they look more like mortar bombs, but the mouseover popup says "mines"
Unfortunately, the game's description is wrong. They're actually mortar shells, as you've correctly guessed. You're probably new to the franchise, but it's obvious to most SHoWWII and FoW players.

Hedley Verity
09-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I've just completed this mission and I used the T34's that appear as reinforcements to complete this one. Also, on the right flank, you will find a damaged T34: repair this and it provides extra firepower.

I placed 3 T34's on the hill and hid the other two in the village to cover the roads the German tanks traverse. Once the German armour appears you can hit their more vulnerable sides and rear which takes them out quickly, without putting a strain on your manpower encamped on hill 243. The 20mm flak guns should be manned as they make mincemeat of the infantry.

KnightFandragon
01-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I've just completed this mission and I used the T34's that appear as reinforcements to complete this one. Also, on the right flank, you will find a damaged T34: repair this and it provides extra firepower.

I placed 3 T34's on the hill and hid the other two in the village to cover the roads the German tanks traverse. Once the German armour appears you can hit their more vulnerable sides and rear which takes them out quickly, without putting a strain on your manpower encamped on hill 243. The 20mm flak guns should be manned as they make mincemeat of the infantry.

^^This is how you do it....dont lose your tanks, then use them to ambush the Panzers that attack you, capture that Mautlier AA Truck in the back and take the flak guns on the hill...I usually lvl the hill b4 I go on it so there isnt much in 1 piece but still...

Yambretta
06-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm having major problems with this mission.

I've cleared all germans and taken the hill, still got my tanks and have set up defence but game is not moving forward and is still at the take the hill stage.
When highlighting in misson brief (red circle thingy) I stand troops in that area but still the game does not know the hill is taken and refused to move on :(
Played it 3 or 4 times now from different points in time with no success.

And hiya with my 1st post :)

Korsakov829
06-29-2010, 02:20 AM
I'm having major problems with this mission.

I've cleared all germans and taken the hill, still got my tanks and have set up defence but game is not moving forward and is still at the take the hill stage.
When highlighting in misson brief (red circle thingy) I stand troops in that area but still the game does not know the hill is taken and refused to move on :(
Played it 3 or 4 times now from different points in time with no success.

And hiya with my 1st post :)

Try it with the latest patch.