PDA

View Full Version : Demo not working

XIII
06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi,
I’ve installed the demo and when I double click
the desktop icon to run it nothing happens (it´s the same if I go to the game folder and click on the .exe file).

If I open the task manager I can´t see any task related to the game or stalled.

Runing XP Sp3 with AMD 64 3500, GF 7900 gs, 1gb ram.

Any ideas?

Gniarf
06-21-2009, 03:18 PM
-Download&install PAINKILLER singleplayer demo, see if it works.
-Disable all antiviruses&firewalls&security junkwares, we never know what those could misunderstand.
-In the nvidia control pannel, did you happen to force some settings (like antialiasing or anisotropic filtering, etc...)? If so, try restoring default settings.
-Did you disable the page file? (madness with 1gb ram only, yet...)
-Just in case: you're sure your DirectX is up to date?
-Last I can think of atm: corrupt setup.exe (unlikely though)

XIII
06-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your help Gniarf.
I’ve tried what you said but no luck. I currently have painkiller (full game) installed and running fine.
I updated my gfx drivers and direct x.
I installed yesterday Fallout 3 without problems and running smoothly...

The thing that´s odd is that it gives me no error message. It just does nothing.

Gniarf
06-22-2009, 11:07 AM
The thing that´s odd is that it gives me no error message. It just does nothing.Yes I know, that's what puzzles me most.

1-Ok, next test: replace the content of necrovision/bin with the one of painkiller/bin. It WILL NOT work, but:
1.1-if it spams you with lots of error, then the problem comes from the .exe/dlls
1.2-if it says nothing the problem is elsewhere (too long path, corrupt or bugged .pak files...)
2-Have you thought about Data Execution Prevention? (if you don't know what it is, forget I even mentionned it)
3-(I'm desperate there)....Compatibility mode?
4-Download Shadermark, run it, click "run", and run a benchmark (p). Does it say "pixel shader version: Pixel Shader 3_0" (along with tons of "ps_3_0") in shadermark_results.txt?

BTW: which version (langage) of the demo are you using?

XIII
06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks.
The demo is in english.
I will try your solutions when I get home tonight and let you know how it went.

XIII
06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks Gniarf, you’re a very resourceful guy :)
I completely uninstalled my drivers, direct X and the demo then runned a registry clean up with TuneUp utilities and then reinstalled everything. Whatever the problem was it´s gone. The demo runs fine now.

Maybe it was directX or a setting in the nvidia panel...