PDA

View Full Version : Making my way thru the single player

ronhedlund
06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
I am a little confused. Right now I am making my way thru the single player part of the game. I am approx. half way thru. The game is really cool. It kind of reminds of the old Hexan/Herectic game. Anyway what is the point of the whole challenge room. Is it a place where you can re-hash old levels and redo them over again. Or is it a place where you can redo the levels and pick up anything you missed or is it just a completely new area of the game? Could some one give me a better understanding of that part of the game.
Thanks

jiminator
06-20-2009, 05:11 AM
finding vampire artifacts give you fury. you can go to the challenge room to find the ones you missed. other challenge rooms give you additional full ammo weapons for the start of each level and hand spells not to mention the 4th glove mode. If you finish the game you can play necromancers return, where you have the glove from the start. The sniper is good to start with. The glove is awesome.

my video on the serious sam challenge...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ox7N5ltiU

Bloodbuster
06-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Indeed, as said, the Challenge Room allows you to replay each level and collect any vampire artefacts that you may have missed.

The 'Challenges' themselves are designed initially to get you used to melee attacks and strategies, as that is a major part of the gameplay. The bonus, as said, is that when you successfully complete each challenge, you will have a weapon/attribute permanently available in your arsenal.

Check out our site for information on this.

AncientMariner
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
It is confusing. You can do two different things from the"Challenge Room Menu".

Firstly, as you complete the main Chapters, the actual Challenge Rooms (on the left of the menu) will start to become available to you. Not only are these great fun but they give you rewards that are useful in the main game. Beating them is the only way of getting some of the ShadowHand spells.

Secondly, you can return to any Chapter you've completed already (using the right of the menu). This is useful to collect any Artefacts you may have missed. As jiminator says, Artefacts increase your Fury and this is a good thing :grin: On which ...

@jiminator - Nice to see an old PK fan enjoying NVN as well :) That's a nice vid. I, too, found that alcove at the beginning to survive while building up a good Fury level. See my "Man of Courage" vid here (http://www.bloodbuster.co.uk/page2.html). Here's my result from Demon Crusher

http://uk.geocities.com/greybeard.pk@btinternet.com/SUSDC.jpg
As you can see, not many shots used. I love that ShadowHand Claw :) Interestingly, on MoC, I had to find a way of taking on the Beasts because I only had a Fury level of 23 and it took me the best part of the 15 minutes. On my Demon Crusher attempt I had a full Fury level and the Skull Chasers made a big difference, letting me, like you, finish before the Beasts spawned in.

The next release of Blood's & my "NVN Guide" will include a bit on the Challenge Rooms at Demon Crusher. Some do require different strategies.

Cheers

Greybeard (the AncientMariner :) )

jiminator
06-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I had tried some of the other gloves at earlier fury levels, they did not work as well. I suppose I'll have to give shredder a try. :) Still trying to figure out a use for the barbed wire...

Gniarf
06-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Still trying to figure out a use for the barbed wire...
1-The alt fire (poison cloud) is quite powerful
2-According to the code, there are "things" it can instant-kill. Those "things" "CanBeWired" but cannot "GetUpFromRagdoll". Let's hope it's not just barrels.

jiminator
06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
barb wire can kill a humans easily, it just uses up half the adrenaline, not a combo, doesn't appear to do much to the others. there must be some secret to it. it also suffers more from dead glove, where if you have no adrenaline it will not claw. just seems to be unfinished, like it should be doing a combo with each hit, but it was not coded in. as for waving the barbed people around, that is cool, but they don't really act as a shield and they don't act as a missle either. so pointless.

btw, found a bug. after the boss on the stronghold level go and freeze and attack the sitting prisoner. he will get up and attack. he is immortal and will keep coming after you. I had a glove, so it probably won't work with normal weapons...