PDA

View Full Version : Just finished the game...

thorik
06-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Hey there,
I've just finished the game and would like to share my thoughts:-D

1) why isn't there any "attack move" button? I mean, you would click it and then on a location and your soldiers would go there, attacking everyone in their path? I manually had to point every soldier who to attack during their movements, and that was quite sad:-/

2) the game is sometimes really confusing, in most missions I didn't even manage to check all my units and the enemy was allready attacking. But perhaps it was on purpose.... What I liked was the bonus mission in which you had like 5 minutes to place your defenses... that was nice:-)

3) are those russian rocket rifles any good? I almost couldn't destroy a jeep with it :-D

4) oh man, it seems like there's no pathfinding in the game at all!
It is quite ok while controlling only 1 tank, but while ordering 2 or more tanks to move at once, they just don't know who they are! :-/ This was quite bad...

5) What is the point of having more than 1 man operating a cannon etc? Apart from towing the device?

6) Apart from all the negatives I mentioned (don't know which I forgot:-) ) This game ROCKS!!! I would like to thank the developers for making such a great game. I haven't seen such a great simulator of WW2 battles yet!! THANKS!!!

:-)

torqual
06-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Hello. I finished all campaigns on normal today.

I have some anwsers for your questions, i think.

1.) Normal leftclick is move attack order. doublemousclick is run to point withoutengaging enemies.

2.) In history the defender could not ask the attacker to wait till his defences were strong enough. So its realistic. But it would be fine to have the option of "Start-attack" button. Its unnerfing to build minefields, position ambushes with fieldguns, place infantry in all vehicles, guns. looking for deserteurs, getting them to front. i play for fun not for being stressed by a game. would be nice to have.

3.) i did never kill at tank with a rocket launcher. dont know why. perhaps i have bad rocket drive skills. i prever to jump with AT-nades out of bushes, from behind walls out of fruit crates. jeeps are hard to destroy with atweapons. they are fast = hard to track for most guns. you can get with a jeep near a heavy tank without problems, driving faster then he can track you with his strong front gun. selfprobelled arty are even easier to jump with a jeep. near the tank, jump out the jeep throw a atnade at motorblock or turret, wait for ejecting tank soldiers, shoot them. look inside the tank. if there is a repair tool, repair the tank. tank jacking is fun in multiplayer :). ps. dont drive directly at the tank. use enviroment smart and then drive side by side. not directly.

4.) signed. pathfinding is bad. tanks got stuck all the time in my games. try to use hold right click to position your tanks at aimed location. it helps a lot when your tank does face the enemy and does not point his weak afterbelly towards the front :).

5.) dont know. i have only 1 man driving my vehicles. there are no experienced tank crews with special skills at tank driving. so there's no use for wasting more men then one in a tank. air defense mggunners are killed all the time so i use only one crew member. the rest of the crew is more usefull in protecing the perimeter of the tank against bainsai atnade runners :). reloading seems to go as quickly as with full crew so there is no point in having more people in my tanks.
cannons can move along with 2 crewmen. with only one there are just stationary guns. but thats not a problem. at guns are dying so fast in this game. when they have firstshot they have a light chance to kill something. but after that firstshot they are mostly gunfodder. would be nice to have a stealth ambush abilty for those little pseudotank killers. when i spend several minutes to place a gun just in perfect position behind a tank, most of the time my atguns dont hit. after firstshot they are scrapmetal. a stealth ability in bushes and a high precision firstshot could make them more usefull. higher survibility and entrenchment mode would also be good ideas for at guns. a tank commander should think twice about rushing with several tanks into a well placed at unit. but not in men of war.

6.) there are countless world wor 2 tactic titles on the market. but soldiers, faces, men of war are one of the best. i like men of war and its predessorcs. but i dont like the unrealistic randomness of the game. single player campaign is destroyed for me. there is no real tactic that can win a big tank battle. winning a battle is just a heavy quicksave/reload fest. thats unenjoyable for a tactic game. and i dont like the balance of german tanks vs american tanks. russian tanks are just fine compared to germans. but americans are too strong for their calibre. in mp my king tiger, tigers can be shot down by armored scout cars. thats just rediculus. mg fire can easily destroy the chain drives of heave tanks. 57 mm low calibre can pierce frontal armor of 110 mm on long range. and the tiger tanks feared in ww2 for their high precision shots hit the whole map but not their targets. tanks battles are too unrealistic in vanilla mow to make fun for me.I will install a more realistic mod for that. but the game is nice. they have patched some serious performance problems in faces of war. now its my favorite war engine. but vannila mow is definitely not the best ww2 wargame in points of realism :).

but realistic for allies would be to have countless troops, tanks, planes, ships to fight horse driven field guns on german side. with one or two tigers, that are slaughtered by never ending waves of earth attack planes :). that would be no fun too on german side.

and i find the men of war campaign too short and YES too easy. there is not much tactics involved in this game. but much quickloading as i said before. i enjoyed the missions with a few men against a hopeless strong enemy much more as the big tank battles. but plz dont let m16, whirlwinds, those infantry killer devils with many guns on stealth mission to hijack by your men. that makes those missions just too easy. one whirlwind can easily kill a whole infantry platoon in entrenchments. make infantry entrenched invulnerable against mgfire or directfire hegrenades. its too easy to whipe them out.

Men of war is a good "tactic" game but not the best. its worth every cent spent in it. dont ask me which is the best. dont know. company of heroes is it not :).

ps i love the amoured dodge mission.

irod
06-18-2009, 04:46 AM
For question 5... I vaguely remember from faces of war that the more people on a specific gun means faster realoading/aiming. Maybe that was just for tanks....

nilloc93
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Torqual in the history of war sentrys reported hostile attacks more than 2 minutes before they got there and in history troops did not need "god" to tell them to go get ammo from the box and get into the trench