PDA

View Full Version : Cryostasis Nvidia PhysX Performance Patch released

Yay123
05-29-2009, 09:59 PM
It has just been released on strategy informer

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/patches/cryostasissleepofreason/patch.html#id31647

God knows how the hell to install it though......... :confused:

It just says "Cryostasis cannot be located on your system"

This patch works only with US version of the game, published by Aspyr. You won't be able to use it with any other versions!!!

And please note, this patch is essential only for High End NVIDIA cards!!! On other systems it can cause slowdowns and other technical issues.

Yay123
05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Anyway, here's the change log

Using this patch if you have a high end nVidia Graphics Card and meet or surpass the RECOMMENDED System requirements

This patch fully enables the support of nVidia PhysX technology by adding unique physical effects.

The items below were added to 'Video' menu section:

* Hardware physics: enables PPU support.
* PhysX efefcts: enabling of effects, realized by means of PhysX technology.

In order to produce more realistic atmosphere of deserted ship, heaps of small and average physical objects were added on each level and location:

* rubbish, splints, cans, boxes, ship rig, etc.
* parts of clothes, fabrics, mops.
* icicles, splitting into multiple shatters.

New Weapon

* New weapon available - water gun.
!!! Important! The jet of water from the water gun can be seen only on computers, equipped with nVidia cards with Physics Processing Unit.

Effects added with patch:
o Water: evidential simulation of water can be found at each game level. You can see it flowing down the walls, dropping from the pipe breaks or ceilings. Also, the water is present in some Mental Echo scenes.
o When bullet hits any metal surface, it produces thousands of realistic sparkles, that are reflected in this surface. .
o Wires can produce electric sparks, too.

Critical Fixes:
o Do Halt by script stack corruption (game crashes in scripts)
o Inability to strafe (or other keyboard settings) with outer controller enabled (wheel, gamepad)
o Shaders 4.0 are working properly on ATi cards now.

General Fixes:
o The flashlight can not be enabled while Intro is played.li>
o The Quicksave is now available after you enter and quit 'Save' manu.
o Memory leaks
o Memory fragmentation
o Debug-variables are ignored when loading saved games
o Bubbles and steam when player enters/leaves Mental Echo
o 'Hardware physics' option is added to Video menu section
o The loading screen is now displayed properly
o The possible appearance of 'black screen' when the Hero is killed while returning from Mental Echo is removed.
o Push/pop index is optimized (possible freezes, crash on level 12)

Game fixes:
o The problem with hatch on 1st level is solved.
o FOV is optimized on 13th level.
o Fog blinking and player's death are optimized in 3rd "experience of the past" part, 1st level
o Intro movie can be skipped on 1st level
o The second Mental Echo on 2nd level is simplified
o The Omen (Man In Black) can be skipped on 5th level
o The possible Player's death when he enters/leaves Mental Echo on 6th level is fixed
o FOV is optimized (1st scene, 13th level).
o Player receives 120 life points after finishing the second Mental Echo, 13th level
o Fishes are removed from the dried up aquarium, 14th level
o The fight against Spider on 15th level is simplified (it's easier to hit the ice cracks)
o Incorrect skipping of Scene_82 on 15th level is fixed

Graphics Additions:
o Anisotropic filtering is working properly.
o Green frames in the beginning and ending of intro movies are removed.
o water visualization improved (only for video cards supporting Nvidia PhysX under Windows Vista)
o Disabling the camera motion blur fixed
o A snow skin on telescopic sight is added, when player goes outside
o HUD display is corrected (weapons, ammo, diving suit) for every resolution

Sound:
o The looping of sound in some scene endings is removed.
o Characters landings volume fix.
o Sounds of falling and icicle smashing are changed
o sound volume settings are fixed
o a sound of 'collecting cold' by Spider is added

APPLYING THIS PATCH WILL RENDER YOUR PREVIOUS SAVED GAMES UNPLAYABLE. YOU WILL HAVE TO START THE GAME OVER FROM THE BEGINNING.

logos
05-29-2009, 11:29 PM
thanks. this might be a dumb question, but what's the difference betweeen the two downloads. Is the "digital river" one for the downloadable version, and the other is the retail?

ZIGS
05-30-2009, 12:37 AM
thanks. this might be a dumb question, but what's the difference betweeen the two downloads. Is the "digital river" one for the downloadable version, and the other is the retail?

Yes, that's correct. Also, when I try to install the patch, it says the game wasn't detected on my system. What the hell?

waynen12
05-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, that's correct. Also, when I try to install the patch, it says the game wasn't detected on my system. What the hell?

Same here. It probably only looks in the default c:\program files location. I have mine installed on a 2nd hard drive.

Edit:

Scrap that. I just checked. I have it installed in the default location so I've no idea what's going on.

logos
05-30-2009, 01:19 AM
the list of changes says it does not let you keep saves, so maybe we have to download patch on a clean install? that's what the window says too, but i'm too lazy right now to uninstall.

Elborak
05-30-2009, 01:48 AM
I downloaded both patches. The digital river did not work and could not detect system. The other patch worked fine. Not much improvement for the ATI 4870 (a little better frames) except the the shaders 4.0 seems to work better but enabling physx is just to much for the overclocked 805/ 1000 4870. This is on a quad clocked to 3.65 with 4gb of ram on Windows 7 64bit. However, there are more effects of shattering ice etc so it is looking better.

I have the American version.......

Ywap
05-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Well, i can´t install it either. Got the retail version (clean install) and it doesn´t matter if i have the dvd inserted or not. Neither does it matter where i have it installed.

JuggernautOfWar
05-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Everyone report which localization you have and if it works. Example: I have the German version and it works. Or: I have the American version and it does not detect my game. etc...

Ywap
05-30-2009, 07:34 AM
European retail and it doesn´t detect my game.

Dcrysis02
05-30-2009, 11:59 AM
European retail(Hungarian)localization(subtitles) it does not detect CS on my system either. :(

ZIGS
05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Mine is the UK version, doesn't detect

waynen12
05-30-2009, 03:28 PM
UK version , not detected.
Has anyone tried uninstalling and then reinstalling as suggested earlier in the thread?

I'm not sure it would help.

Gandalf Greyhelm
05-30-2009, 03:31 PM
UK version , not detected.
Has anyone tried uninstalling and then reinstalling as suggested earlier in the thread?

I'm not sure it would help.

Yup tried it - fails to detect UK version running under W7 RC x64.

What a joke - we wait this long and it doesn't even install.

If it wasn't so pathetic it would be hilarious.

G.

jadotben
05-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I reinstalled the game but the patch fails to detect it!
Three months now that this crap is installed on my pc and still no patch!
They even put their crap on Steam now !!!
Your ba..ards sell unplayable games: thieves !!!!
Game from 1C, never again !!!

ZIGS
05-30-2009, 05:01 PM
When you think respect towards PC gamers can't possibly go any lower, along comes 1C Company and proves us all wrong. Good job

Tak3r
05-30-2009, 09:06 PM
European, same problem.

No matter if it is located at c: c:programm files or where ever.

I never saw a patch that does not offer the chance to browse for the game. So thank you 1c you made it possible to present a patch people were waiting for, and it does not work respect !

p.s. @ zigs /signed

CheapAssGamer
05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Is this the patch that is supposed to improve ATi performance too?

JuggernautOfWar
05-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Is this the patch that is supposed to improve ATi performance too?

Read the change log.

logos
05-31-2009, 03:13 AM
european download. But the DR patch is only for Game Agent downloads. Which sucks for me.

KEITH1437
05-31-2009, 05:39 AM
So, is it updated on Steam?

JuggernautOfWar
05-31-2009, 07:07 AM
Check update news.

shaq
05-31-2009, 07:50 AM
English retail works for me in Windows 7 RC x86. Installed in default directory. It looks like they added more cans, barrels, icicles and water droplets. Only played 1st level so far though.

pepperammi
05-31-2009, 01:42 PM
UK version. Wont detect on either Vista x64 utimate with or without SP2, or my new fresh install of windows 7 rc1 (build 7100) x64. Tried putting the patcher in the game directory but no difference.

Is this really meant to be the release patch? They'd said it'd be on their site and on the Nvidia site but I can't find it on either.

RacingBoozer
05-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I have North American retail version. I unzipped files to cryostasis folder and it worked fine for me. Vista home premium 32 bit.

Gandalf Greyhelm
05-31-2009, 04:52 PM
I have North American retail version. I unzipped files to cryostasis folder and it worked fine for me. Vista home premium 32 bit.

Starting to look like 64 bit doesn't work - but 32 bit does?

G.

Tak3r
05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I got 32-bit and it doesn't work

Unforgiven_II
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
UK-Cryostasis on German Vista 64 - not working

AndroidVageta
05-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, its not working on my 32-bit Windows Vista SP2.

This patch I think is just straight up broken...wtf is up with this shit?

What system/version of the game was this tested on before being released to the public???

logos
05-31-2009, 10:34 PM
hope it's not a 64-bit problem. its not officially supported.

AndroidVageta
05-31-2009, 11:02 PM
After searching for a bit it would seem that the patch only works for the US version of the game...any other version from any other country doesn't work...how awesome is that???

I feel like starting a class action lawsuit against 1c Publishing...I've already talked to my attorney about this and this is a pure case of discrimination...only releasing it for a certain group and not anyone else.

This isn't just pathetic this is completely wrong and unjustifiable. Those of us who have bought the game and have had it longer than Americans don't get to enjoy what they do?

How is this fair 1c? I mean, REALLY?!

JuggernautOfWar
06-01-2009, 12:18 AM
After searching for a bit it would seem that the patch only works for the US version of the game...any other version from any other country doesn't work...how awesome is that???

I feel like starting a class action lawsuit against 1c Publishing...I've already talked to my attorney about this and this is a pure case of discrimination...only releasing it for a certain group and not anyone else.

This isn't just pathetic this is completely wrong and unjustifiable. Those of us who have bought the game and have had it longer than Americans don't get to enjoy what they do?

How is this fair 1c? I mean, REALLY?!

DO IT. I seriously doubt 1C Company can hire good lawyers with their budget. Even less of a budget because I am no longer buying their games.

To 1C: (not that they read this) If you are to release products which you do not support, as with Cyostasis, I will no longer purchase anything from you. I do not believe in supporting terrible business practices. I believe most people can agree with me on this too. Until you change your ways I am no longer a customer. Congratulations, you just lost one of your most loyal customers.

CheapAssGamer
06-01-2009, 01:51 AM
NA version. Retail patch installs fine.

Brainstew
06-01-2009, 02:17 AM

What is your install folder, mine is "C:\Program Files\505games\1C\Cryostasis"

JuggernautOfWar
06-01-2009, 04:40 AM

Can you copy/paste your install directory for us? Thanks.

AndroidVageta
06-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Can you copy/paste your install directory for us? Thanks.

As I stated up top the patch conveniently only installs on the NA version...aka...North American version.

shaq
06-01-2009, 05:59 AM
C:\Program Files\Aspyr\Cryostasis

JuggernautOfWar
06-01-2009, 06:44 AM
As I stated up top the patch conveniently only installs on the NA version...aka...North American version.
I really do not know how that is relevant to what I said.
Thank you.

Nike-it
06-01-2009, 07:29 AM
This patch works only with US version of the game, published by Aspyr. You won't be able to use it with any other versions!!!:!:

And please note, this patch is essential only for High End NVIDIA cards!!! On other systems it can cause slowdowns and other technical issues.

Patch for other versions is comming.

Tak3r
06-01-2009, 09:31 AM
The Game can't go any worser. I got a dual core @ 3.8 , 2x ATi radeon 4870 und 4 gig of ram and i got awsome 12-25 fps on 1280x1024 and everything on set on high.

CheapAssGamer
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM

^^^^^^

thx shaq.

CheapAssGamer
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
This patch works only with US version of the game, published by Aspyr. You won't be able to use it with any other versions!!!:!:

So can you confirm this is not the patch that was rumored to be increasing performance on ATi cards?

CheapAssGamer
06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Read the change log.

Simply getting it working with 4.0 shader doesn't necessarily mean it is faster. Which was the rumor that I read.

Nike-it
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
This patch only enables correct work with shaders 4.0 on ATI cards.

Oli-Wan
06-01-2009, 02:28 PM

I can't believe what I'm reading... The performances are horrible on every systems, and you're patch doesn't improve it? Slowdowns.... Can really the game run slower..? It is just INCREDIBLE, just as the localization of the patch... Europe does not exist in you're geography?

1C is going completely down with this kind of thinking. This lack of support is incredible. If nvidia's money is better than customer's money, keep nVidia's, I'll keep mine.

We waited months for this joke... Unbelievable...

ZIGS
06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
This.is.amazing.

We wait MONTHS for a patch that supposely improves performance, which is HORRIBLE. THEN, the patch is only available to EVGA costumers. THEN, it's available to the rest of us, but ONLY for North Americans. Europeans have to wait (even) longer. But it doesn't matter anyway because the patch doesn't actually IMPROVE performance. In fact, it makes it WORSE.
I mean, what SENSE does it make? You have a game that runs like CRAP, hundreds of people who bought it CAN'T PLAY it decently and 1C's main concern is to release a patch that adds some PHYSX BULLSHIT (obviously because Nvidia PAID them to do it, so they can further advertise their technology), not caring about the people who still can't play the game.
And let's not forget about ATI users, who are stuck with EVEN worse performance, to the point of being UNPLAYABLE.
If there's one thing money can't buy is RESPECT and 1C just sold what they had to Nvidia, so I hope they paid you a lot for it.

Cryostasis was the first game I bought from 1C and it'll be the last. Have a nice day

AndroidVageta
06-01-2009, 04:36 PM

So let me get this straight...

First you release a patch for American versions only.

Then the patch adds Physx that is for HIGH END Nvidia cards ONLY?!

I have a quad core rig at 3.6ghz per core overclocked, 2 x 4870 video cards, AND A AGEIA PPU! Game runs at about 10 FPS. Ive got Crossfire for graphics, and 4870's at that! And a seperate Physx processor and the game runs like it does????

I can run Crysis at 40+ FPS at MAX settings...this game at 10 FPS? COMPLETE JOKE!

I upgraded my system from a single Nvidia 9600GT 512MB WITHOUT THE AGEIA PPU that could run the tech demo at max settings WITH Physx enable and I got 20 FPS...

Explain to me how a Crossfire ATi 4870 rig with a Ageia PPU - WHICH BY THE WAY - has been proven to be FASTER in processing Physx than a 9600GT being used as a stand alone Physx processor CAN'T RUN THE GAME FASTER THAN USING A SINGLE 9600GT THAT WAS BEING USED FOR GRAPHICS AND PHYSX PROCESSING?!

I mean, is this for real? I feel like this is some big internal joke by 1C! IT HAS TO BE! THATS THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF THAT MAKES EVEN REMOTE SENSE!

ZIGS
06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
AndroidVageta, your performance is that bad because you have an ATI-based system and this game is "sponsored" by Nvidia. This game is basically a tool for Nvidia to get new costumers by making the game run like s*** on ATI cards and making it look like it'll only run well on Nvidia ones (what's funny is that even on Nvidia cards the game runs like crap). Hell, even that EVGA exclusivity agreement for the patch gives it away, EVGA is one of Nvidia's biggest partners. 1C deciced to screw it's costumers as long as Nvidia fills their pockets.
So basically, this game is a scam and we were all fooled.

AndroidVageta
06-01-2009, 04:58 PM
AndroidVageta, your performance is that bad because you have an ATI-based system and this game is "sponsored" by Nvidia. This game is basically a tool for Nvidia to get new costumers by making the game run like s*** on ATI cards and making it look like it'll only run well on Nvidia ones (what's funny is that even on Nvidia cards the game runs like crap). Hell, even that EVGA exclusivity agreement for the patch gives it away, EVGA is one of Nvidia's biggest partners. 1C deciced to screw it's costumers as long as Nvidia fills their pockets.
So basically, this game is a scam and we were all fooled.

Oh I understand that...but you see I also have a Ageia PPU which was made to process just Physx...so unless it truly is made to run like crap with ATi cards and Ageia PPU's then there is no reason the game should run like it does...its truly sad...pathetic...

ZIGS
06-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh I understand that...but you see I also have a Ageia PPU which was made to process just Physx...so unless it truly is made to run like crap with ATi cards and Ageia PPU's then there is no reason the game should run like it does...its truly sad...pathetic...

You might have an Ageia PPU but ever since Nvidia bought Ageia, those initial cards stopped working because Nvidia began developing the drivers to work with their graphic cards, so your original Ageia card is pretty much useless now. Like I said, it's all part of the scam to get Nvidia more costumers

Brainstew
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Thanks, now can you go to run then type in regedit. Now check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE and look for a 1C, Aspyr, or Cryostasis folder so we can know where the registry information is stored?

AndroidVageta
06-01-2009, 05:33 PM
You might have an Ageia PPU but ever since Nvidia bought Ageia, those initial cards stopped working because Nvidia began developing the drivers to work with their graphic cards, so your original Ageia card is pretty much useless now. Like I said, it's all part of the scam to get Nvidia more costumers

Incorrect...drivers still work for the Ageia card...even the new drivers...I play every other Physx enabled game fine...GRAW2, Mirrors Edge, Crazy Machines 2...the Ageia PPU isn't the problem with Cryostasis.

1C is the problem with Cryostasis...

Marky
06-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi, i am Markus from Germany!

I got the UK Verson and the patch doesn't work (of course).

I think we shouldn't get that upset, i'm quite sure that 1C would deliver a patch for the European customers the next couple of days.

The performance then will be like in the demo i guess, indeed very poor. Even on High-End rigs with or without AGEIA PPU.

With my GTX 260 sometimes i got a dropdown to < 20 FPS.

B.t.w. sorry for my English, it used to be much better... :rolleyes:

JuggernautOfWar
06-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Okay, so I got tired of waiting just for more bullshit so I "got" the American version.

Brainstew
06-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Okay, so I got tired of waiting just for more bullshit so I "got" the American version.

Yep I "got" it too, and I'm going to tell everyone I know who hasn't bought the game to "get" it, because of the terrible support from 1C.

a1k3m1
06-02-2009, 11:06 AM
so are we acturally gonna get a patch to acturally work? ... or is what is released is all were gonna get?

or is there a way to manually extract the files from the patch executable into where they need to go?

CheapAssGamer
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
FYI : playing around with the gamma in the non 1.01 patched version of the game will allow SM 4.0 to work as well. Unsure if its any faster than patched 1.01.

Marky
06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
So, i just wrote an E-Mail to the 505Games Tech Support...

Perhaps the know more about this issue...

Greetings

Marky

Marky
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey guys, check this out:

http://de.nzone.com/object/nzone_cryostasis_downloads_de.html

Found it on the German nZone-Download page. I downloaded the PhysX Patch (189 MB) and installed it on my UK Version.

Now i can select "Advanced PhysX Effects" in the Menu and the Water Cannon is also available.

Maybe that's it...

Now i am going to play and have a look if this patch is working properly..

Greetings,

Marky

AndroidVageta
06-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Yep...this seems to be installing correctly...seems like we have one that works!

Pat on the back to Marky!

AndroidVageta
06-03-2009, 12:55 AM
OK...after installing the patch...horrid...

I don't know if this is the official International Patch or what but I'm having more performance issues with this patch then with the non-patched version.

There are numerous missing textures which result in objects being completely black...Physx performance is the worst I've ever seen in any game (Ageia PPU), and the audio is crackling like crazy...

Missing textures is completely unexceptable...theres no reason for this at all.

Physx performance even with a PPU makes the game completely unplayable...just one set of icesickles breaking results in single digit framerates. I know the PPU isn't as powerful as a new Nvidia GPU...but the Physx in this game, especially a single icesickle breaking isn't nearly as taxing as the Physx in GRAW2...which runs completely flawlessly with the Ageia PPU...what kind of Nvidia card does 1C expect the average user to have? I can't see anything less than a GTX285 running this game with Physx on with acceptable framerates...if you have a 9600GT ->9800GTX ->GTX260 I simply can't see you running this game with Physx and graphics processing at an acceptable performance level.

Sound I don't get...its simply the patch. Non-patched version sound is perfect...patched version sound is broken and very static-ie and crackly...granted I'm using onboard, but its a high end chip that has no problem with any other game.

I hope this patch isn't final or was leaked or something...performance is just horrible overall and makes the game completely unplayable.

JuggernautOfWar
06-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Missing textures? Try new drivers? Beta drivers?

JuggernautOfWar
06-03-2009, 06:34 AM
I've found an official European download link in English.

http://uk.nzone.com/object/nzone_cryostasis_downloads_uk.html

Oli-Wan
06-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I installed it, and the performance are still shitty. Well, it seems this patch is really a joke...

AndroidVageta
06-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I've found an official European download link in English.

http://uk.nzone.com/object/nzone_cryostasis_downloads_uk.html

Eureka! THIS IS THE PATCH!!! At least for my version...

Everything I said in my last post can be erased!

Sounds works, textures aren't missing, and my Ageia PPU IS NOT WORTHLESS!!!

Its been handling all the icesickles and water particles thrown at it!

Game framerate is still a little slow, but COMPLETELY playable. Smoother than it was before the patch...and that was before adding all the Physx shit! Physx looks awesome and performs flawlessly with no slowdown what so ever.

NOW THE GAME IS HOW IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN! I WILL NOW REPLAY IT WITH A SMILE ON MY FACE INSTEAD OF A "WTF" FACE!

pepperammi
06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Anyone know if there's a command or some way of getting it to load at a certain stage? I mean like getting it to load up at the begging of chapter 11 for example?
Otherwise it means starting from scratch.

I'll have to continue without the patch if not but thanks anyway.

Wont even the autosave's at beginning of levels work?

JuggernautOfWar
06-03-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm glad you are happy with the patch AndroidVageta. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. XD

AndroidVageta
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm glad you are happy with the patch AndroidVageta. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. XD

Hell yeah...I mean, just overall, the game is like 1000% better...the Physx really adds a lot to the game play and graphics...Im happy that 1C finally got it right...I still look at them as some greasy mofo's...but what game company hasn't done something horribly bad?

player1
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
One thing I don't get from readme:

Using this patch if you have a high end nVidia Graphics Card and meet or surpass the RECOMMENDED System requirements

Ok, that's big "ATI users stay away" sign.

But then:
Critical Fixes:
o Do Halt by script stack corruption (game crashes in scripts)
o Inability to strafe (or other keyboard settings) with outer controller enabled (wheel, gamepad)
o Shaders 4.0 are working properly on ATi cards now.

Whaaat?!? So it actually has fixes specific to ATI cards too, as well as some general bug-fixes.

So it's not just Physix Pach?
Is it?

Should ATI users really stay away or not?

Will use of this patch with "advanced physics" turned off (only way "ment to be played" with ATI cards) even more degrade performance on ATI cards compared to unpatched game?

* New weapon available - water gun.
!!! Important! The jet of water from the water gun can be seen only on computers, equipped with nVidia cards with Physics Processing Unit.

If patch is to be used by ATI users (or with physics turned off), does it mean they are forced to have weapons with missing visual effects in the game? Is water gun enabled regardless of physics mode?

P.S.
If patch is not to be used by ATI cards, then when will those general fixes be available to ATI crowd?

AndroidVageta
06-04-2009, 10:22 PM
The only thing the patch fixes for ATI cards is the SM4.0 issue.

Other than that, if you want better Physx performance your ONLY option is to get a new Nvidia graphics card or try to find an old Ageia PPU. ATI could do Physx, but ATI has chosen to not support this like Nvidia has, instead they are going with the Havok physics engine that was developed by Intel.

The Ageia PPU would be your best option as they are PCI and they should be found pretty cheap now a days...I got mine off of Craigslist for a measly $30...and I can confirm from first hand experience that the Ageia PPU is more than enough to handle to Physx inn Cryostasis...and does so quite well at that!

JuggernautOfWar
06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
...ATI has chosen to not support this like Nvidia has, instead they are going with the Havok physics engine that was developed by Intel.

One little problem with that, no biggie though. Havok was bought by Intel, not made by them. Originally they were their own company.

Anyway, just get a PPU, they can be found pretty cheap now. I'd recommend getting a high-end nVidia GPU myself, but if you already have a high-end ATi then you probably will not want to fork out the additional cash.

EDIT: Oh and ATi is also looking into using OpenCL as a physics solution which nVidia is as well.

PS. ATi could not use the existing version of PhysX as it uses CUDA, an nVidia exclusive architecture.

AndroidVageta
06-05-2009, 02:20 AM
One little problem with that, no biggie though. Havok was bought by Intel, not made by them. Originally they were their own company.

Anyway, just get a PPU, they can be found pretty cheap now. I'd recommend getting a high-end nVidia GPU myself, but if you already have a high-end ATi then you probably will not want to fork out the additional cash.

EDIT: Oh and ATi is also looking into using OpenCL as a physics solution which nVidia is as well.

PS. ATi could not use the existing version of PhysX as it uses CUDA, an nVidia exclusive architecture.

CUDA is not an architecture of the Nvidia card it's just their own API...ATI could run CUDA and Physx if ATI wanted to develop drivers for the cards.

JuggernautOfWar
06-05-2009, 04:19 AM
CUDA = Compute Unified Device Architecture

AndroidVageta
06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
CUDA = Compute Unified Device Architecture

Only because the drivers make it so...CUDA if coded properly with the right drivers could in fact run on ATi cards...how else do you explain the one guy that was able to get Physx to run on the ATI HD3870 about a year ago.

Its not hardware limitations its software. It can't OFFICIALLY be done on ATi cards because ATi doesn't want it...unofficially however my means of custom created drivers and software its completely possible.

player1
06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Really, I don't care about PhysX, but game performance.

Apparently, even in 1.0, PhysX effects are always turned on for ATI cards (leading to poor performance due to use of software mode) regardless of Hardware Physics settings in Video menu. You can see this clearly on 6th level, when you enter the room with frozen body chained over the hole. In that place, when I put all graphic settings to minimum (800x600, low, all off), I get 12fps. Outside that room it is over 60fps. With all settings at max I get 10fps in that room (1280x1024, high, all on). It's clearly software use of PhysX that can give such slowdown.

Anyway, Mirror's Edge did this better. It properly disabled all PhysX effects (either by removing them, or replacing them with simple effects), when hardware physics option is turned off. Leading to playable game on ATI cards.

Anyway, what baffles me is that in patch readme there are clearly some bugfixes too, not just PhysX improvements. There is even that fix for 4.0 shaders and ATI cards (when colors get garbled when gamma is above 1.0).

But then, readme says you only should use it for high end Nvidia cards?

And what about others who just want bug-fixes?
Very confusing...

I understand that turning on advanced PhysX effects from 1.1 patch on ATI card would lead to unplayable game. But when disabled, can this be used just like any patch, to fix bugs, even on ATI cards. And what will happen with water gun? Will it be disabled, with advanced PhysX turned off, or will it still be present, but fire invisible water.

waynen12
06-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Really, I don't care about PhysX, but game performance.

Apparently, even in 1.0, PhysX effects are always turned on for ATI cards (leading to poor performance due to use of software mode) regardless of Hardware Physics settings in Video menu. You can see this clearly on 6th level, when you enter the room with frozen body chained over the hole. In that place, when I put all graphic settings to minimum (800x600, low, all off), I get 12fps. Outside that room it is over 60fps. With all settings at max I get 10fps in that room (1280x1024, high, all on). It's clearly software use of PhysX that can give such slowdown.

Anyway, Mirror's Edge did this better. It properly disabled all PhysX effects (either by removing them, or replacing them with simple effects), when hardware physics option is turned off. Leading to playable game on ATI cards.

Anyway, what baffles me is that in patch readme there are clearly some bugfixes too, not just PhysX improvements. There is even that fix for 4.0 shaders and ATI cards (when colors get garbled when gamma is above 1.0).

But then, readme says you only should use it for high end Nvidia cards?

And what about others who just want bug-fixes?
Very confusing...

I understand that turning on advanced PhysX effects from 1.1 patch on ATI card would lead to unplayable game. But when disabled, can this be used just like any patch, to fix bugs, even on ATI cards. And what will happen with water gun? Will it be disabled, with advanced PhysX turned off, or will it still be present, but fire invisible water.

I know from my point of view they fixed a really annoying error that would throw me to the desktop with a visual c++ runtime error every time I tried to load up a new map. I did see some performance improvement, but I think my 8800GT is just not up to running this game at a good frame rate.

JuggernautOfWar
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah your card is a bit lacking, sorry bud.

Oh and yes, the new patch improved performance for me as well. Although I can not really say how much because the day the patch came out I got my new GPU and PSU.

logos
06-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Concerning FPS, my highs are not as high as pre-patch, but so far much smoother and constant (not as many of those horrific drops). That performance article linked to in the other thread helped me achieve better performance as well. I'm running a q6600 at 3.0 and gtx 280 sli and the most recent physx driver released a couple of days ago. Overall, I'm happier but i hope another patch really focuses on performance because two 280s should still be doing better than what it is.

Also, the 360 gamepad lost all support for me; it had partial support before the patch, and now? Xpadder works fine though.

helmgt01
06-07-2009, 06:07 AM
my geforce 9800 gx2 says it's physx ready, but i have win xp. do i need win vista to take advantage of the physx components of the patch?

B.F.
06-07-2009, 03:39 PM
to helmgt01
Yes.
Some effects DX10 only.

boredgunner
06-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Why is it called a PhysX Performance patch? It should just be called a PhysX Effects Patch. I mean, WOW. I enabled advanced PhysX effects and the physics are mind blowing! Never seen anything like it. My performance got cut down by a lot though, I now average 25-50 FPS on high settings with no AA/AF at 1680 x 1050.

I even have a dedicated PhysX processing unit, a 9600GT. My main video card is a GTX 260, and both cards are overclocked. I have an E8400 CPU which is at stock clocks until my new cooler comes Tuesday. But this game doesn't use the CPU much at all, usage was usually below 50%. This should be changed to enhance performance, I'd like to see multi-thread optimization. Also in the part right before the theater (when you run into the bugs and a jailer), my FPS drops to the single digit area! I'm using the 185.85 WHQL drivers, and I know the proper way to install them (the proper method is in the IMPORTANT link in my signature).

I hope a real performance patch is on the way! Killing a bug at 5 FPS is hard. I have to lower graphics settings and it looks like poop that way :mad:

CheapAssGamer
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Why is it called a PhysX Performance patch? It should just be called a PhysX Effects Patch. I mean, WOW. I enabled advanced PhysX effects and the physics are mind blowing! Never seen anything like it. My performance got cut down by a lot though, I now average 25-50 FPS on high settings with no AA/AF at 1680 x 1050.

I even have a dedicated PhysX processing unit, a 9600GT. My main video card is a GTX 260, and both cards are overclocked. I have an E8400 CPU which is at stock clocks until my new cooler comes Tuesday. But this game doesn't use the CPU much at all, usage was usually below 50%. This should be changed to enhance performance, I'd like to see multi-thread optimization. Also in the part right before the theater (when you run into the bugs and a jailer), my FPS drops to the single digit area! I'm using the 185.85 WHQL drivers, and I know the proper way to install them (the proper method is in the IMPORTANT link in my signature).

I hope a real performance patch is on the way! Killing a bug at 5 FPS is hard. I have to lower graphics settings and it looks like poop that way :mad:

If my lowest FPS was 25fps I'd be tickled pink. I don't think I'm getting much more than that max @ 1280x768 (X3@ 3.3G and BFG 8800GT OC2)with settings knocked down quite a bit. I think I'm gonna sit on this one till we get some more patches. I don't mind the look of the game with these settings but it drops to a crawl far to often when there's anything happening.

ZIGS
06-09-2009, 09:53 PM
I doubt there'll be any more patches. They just released this one because nvidia paid them

Nike-it
06-11-2009, 10:25 AM
According to the russian gamers, the performance is higly increased with Windows 7. Did anyone used Cryo with this OS?

pepperammi
06-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Yep. On Windows 7 rc x64. Still played like mud. Can't say I saw any performance difference.

I briefly tried the patch which felt a bit smoother even with the much more effects. Unfortuanly couldn't continue from saved point with the patch so reinstalled and finished at a patheticly low resolution to get anything barely playable.

Oli-Wan
06-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I play Cryo under Windows 7 RC x64 too, and I saw no differences...

Tinotoin
06-17-2009, 11:30 AM
I have to say I've had no issues with Cryostasis performance, all at max settings 1920 x 1080. There may be an occasional dropped frame when autosaving, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It seems like it's just one of those games you need a beefy machine for. The carrot that dangles to convince you to upgrade (amongst other things).

AndroidVageta
06-17-2009, 09:09 PM
I have to say I've had no issues with Cryostasis performance, all at max settings 1920 x 1080. There may be an occasional dropped frame when autosaving, but nothing out of the ordinary.

It seems like it's just one of those games you need a beefy machine for. The carrot that dangles to convince you to upgrade (amongst other things).

I upgraded my machine to be able to play Crysis maxed out...this game still plays like doo doo most the time...FAIL!

Tinotoin
06-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I upgraded my machine to be able to play Crysis maxed out...this game still plays like doo doo most the time...FAIL!

What rig do you have?

Mine is:

Core i7 920 @ stock
EVGA GTX 295
Asus P6T Deluxe
6GB Corsair DDR3 1866MHz
Coolermaster RPPro 1000W
Cooermaster V8

I can get Crysis at 1080p AA 16xQ for average 45fps. there's no need for 16xQ at all, though, so I normally play at 4x or 8x depending on my mood lol.

mnemosyne
07-04-2009, 08:59 PM
I bought polish (PL - Poland) version of Cryostasis and I can't install any patch - tried us, uk and every other and it says "There is no supported version of Cryostasis installed on your computer".

Is there somebody who managed to install patch on this version of retail copy [on the box it says ENG (English), HU (Hungarian), PL (Polish)]?

Maybe someone export their registry entry of Cryo and post it? maybe game thinks language doesn't match...

original isn't patched version for sure, i don't have water gun and other effects (more sparkles, ice from hitting enemies etc. ) which i saw in demo :(

and the funniest thing is that this 1gb demo with advanced physx effects runs better when fighting than this non patched full version, it have more sparkles and ice shards but fps drops only to 20, where on my retail copy fps drops to about 12 :/

Truckchase!
07-12-2009, 04:55 AM
For those with the legacy PhysX hardware, make sure you have an older version of the drivers installed (and that the newer ones aren't) or the hardware acceleration doesn't work. This game uses physx engine version 2.7.3. The newer (9 series) drivers break the legacy cards for seemingly everything.